Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2021, 08:35 AM   #1
Oh Gawd, what did I do?

New Avenger 17BHS - picking up in 2 weeks

I'm completely new to the camper life, but not to camping. My wife made it clear that she's slept her last night in a tent last fall, so we bought an RV at the Pittsburgh RV show a couple weeks ago.

I opted as a novice, for a short single axle camper that I can haul with my 2019 Ford F150 STX FX4 2.7L EB, it came pre-wired with the trailer brake controller and has the additional trans cooler. Dry weight on this trailer is just south of 3200lbs. I've already pulled near this weight with the Boy Scout trailer to summer camp a couple times and it pulled like a dream - I never even knew the trailer was behind me to be honest.

I know the only thing that comes with the camper is the electrical shore line. So i've been buying things on Amazon to be ready to go directly from the RV store to the campground that weekend.

So far, I've gotten e-z level guages, drive on levelers, 20' dump hose with clear elbows, a 50-30A converter dogbone, water line, water filter, and some heavy duty chocks (4).

I asked about surge protection and I am told it's highly recommended. I'm also told they don't work well with adapters...so do I need to get two? A 50A and a 30A?

What other start-up "junk" do I need to get to be operational? Sanitization stuff? Cleaning stuff? What kind of stuff do you have in a tool kit that stays with the trailer? Oh, I also bought a Chicago Electric 12v impact for running the scissor jacks down, it was on clearance at Harbor Freight last week.

I have so many questions...what have I gotten into?
jayd4wg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Posts are like resumes if they are to long folks bypass them. I would recommend before stockpiling a bunch of stuff you get your rig and camp in it to find out what you really need. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #3

I'd add these things to your list:

water pressure regulator
teflon tape for water fittings if you're hooked up to city water
spare 12V fuses
black water treatment
disposable gloves for dumping tanks/handling dump hose
sanitizing wipes
tool box minimum - regular & phillips screwdriver, multimeter, regular & long nosed pliers, wire cutters, channel locks, electrical tape

As far as surge protection I would suggest going with a 30Amp EMS unit. Progressive Industries and Hughes Watchdog are highly regarded.

I'm sure others will add stuff to the list.

One tip, before unhooking camper from truck make sure the power cord will reach power post and water hose will reach spigot.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:12 AM   #4
Oh Gawd, what did I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
I'd add these things to your list:

<<snip>>
I'm sure others will add stuff to the list.

One tip, before unhooking camper from truck make sure the power cord will reach power post and water hose will reach spigot.
Yup, forgot to say I have the pressure reg with a guage as well.

Thanks for the other tips! Much appreciated.
jayd4wg is offline   Reply With Quote