Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 09:43 PM   #1

New campers from ontario

We are still waiting for the delivery of our brand new catalina 253rks but I am very interested in the opinions of those with much more experience of what you consider the essentials and nice to haves of having a new trailer.

We have nothing except a strong desire to make the most of this life. I know there are many online lists but I prefer to hear from those of you who have more experience. Maybe each person could put up two things.... one for essentials and one of a nice to have. See how much we can find without repetition

Mike
Navymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #2

You'll want a set of pots&pans. dishes, cutlery, towels, etc. separate from the ones in your house. You don't want to be lugging that stuff back and forth. Infact, when the kids were young, they had separate clothes in the RV so we didn't have to slow down if we wanted to head out. I know it's not classically efficient, but duplicate as much as possible. Also, you'll want a small grill in the RV too to be able to cook outside.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:08 PM   #3

A bit more info.... we are a mature couple with two dogs. We will be pulling the trailer with a 2015 f150 V8.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #4

Extension cable to your shore power, 3 water hoses, a separate garden hose for your black tank, surge protector, water pressure regulator to start

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #5
I go RV'ing not Camping

Bal x-chocks are an essential in my books.

Vent cover is nice to have with an upgraded vent fan
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:38 AM   #6

We got all of tenttotrailer ideas. Why 3 water hoses? I also bought a lock for the hitch ball and a few other gadgets.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navymike View Post
We got all of tenttotrailer ideas. Why 3 water hoses? I also bought a lock for the hitch ball and a few other gadgets.
I was at a CG in Guelph one summer, backed in the TT, chocked, unhooked started to think about a cool beverage. Went to hook up the city water supply and I was 6 inches short to the trailer, had to hook back up to move the trailer a foot to get a connection...now I carry two and for redundancy I carry a third. I carry the separte hose for anywork around the black tank and dump station, for obvious reasons never mix the two. Water pressure regulator, for about $20 you get insurance for the parks water pressure as all are not pressurized the same and potentially split your TT plumbing by over pressure. I use the same premise on the power surge protector, I know they work as I discovered my outside plug was an open ground and could not understand why I kept blowing fuses and popping circuits.

Separate extension shore power, PP most sites share up to four sites off of one power pedestial, learned that one the hardway at Algonquin PP

Kevin
Old 05-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navymike View Post
A bit more info.... we are a mature couple with two dogs. We will be pulling the trailer with a 2015 f150 V8.
Are you still in the CAF? I have a Word doc I created that I shared with others at Borden with just what you are asking. PM me with your DWAN email and I could send it to you.

Kevin
Old 05-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #9

We have the surge protector and a meter that I will be using to check the voltage at the pole. We also have the pressure regulator.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #10

We can go from fresh water, now lets talk the other end, you bought your TT dealer probably gave you a starter kit of stuff....you will need 1 or 2 sewer hose extensions and get better quality hoses up to the 21 mil size, when being dragged over gravel, cement pine needles etc do not need tiny pin pricks in them you wind end up with a geyser when under pressure from black tank. Get a good quality hose adapter so you do not have to use rocks etc...not every CG sewer system uses the same size piping. get some sort of sewer hose levelling system (I use one called Slinky), "Water" runs better down hill and you will not end up with a hose full of black water where the hose bends prior to the piping.

Kevin

Tags
camper