Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #1

Smile New Forest River owner

Hi,
My name is Lory, and my wife is Yvonne. We live in So. Cal., not too far from Ontario Airport. We just bought a 2011 Rockwood Roo 21SS, and will be giving it it's shakedown run beginning tonite, returning Sunday. It'll be close by, a 45-minute trip to Yucaipa, CA, to our home park, Oak Glen Retreat.

Bought the coach at the California RV Show, and picked it up last Saturday. It has the Convenience Package, gas oven, power tongue jack, outside gas grille & worktable, raised refrigerator panels, spare tire carrier & cover, and power awning.

TV is a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, lifted 3" and 33" tires. Due to the short wheelbase, I got a ProPride 3P hitch.

After buying the coach, the work began -- as it's too wide to fit where on the side of the garage where I stored my old popup, my sons, wife & I had to move our garden shed, break down the block wall on the other side of the house, fab a wrought-iron double gate, and will have to pour a cement slab and driveway to get back to it. We also had to move the home A/C condenser around the back corner of the house!

I've already been reading this forum, and have learned quite a bit. I look forward to learning even more, and perhaps even getting to meet some of you.

Regards,
Lory
LoryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #2

to the forums and congrats on the new camper. Hope you have a lot of enjoyment with it!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #3

This is a very informative site. I would like to know your experience with the ProPride 3 P hitch after your trip. I'm considering buying one next year. Have a pleasant week-end.
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #4

Man, after all that you need a weekend get-away.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new camper!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new camper. Visit and post often
Old 11-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Congrats on joining the "Roo Kroo!"

be sure to post on the Expandable section here at FRF.
lots of Roo or Shamrock 21SS owners to help.

by the way, the DW is from Upland and we used to live in La Verne. we own a Roo 23SS.

let me know if i can be of any help.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:04 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum!! I don't know what I would do without the support of this forum. Have a great weekend.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #8

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome!

Fonzie,
I haven't yet experienced high winds while towing, but this weekend, I did have a number of tractor/trailers pass me, and I didn't experience ANY trailer sway, whatsoever. In one case, when a tractor/double-trailer was passing me, perhaps because it's length, I felt a very minor vacuum, trying to pull both my tow vehicle and trailer to the left, as a whole unit, but it was easily handled. So far, I am very impressed with how the hitch improves handling. The only downside is re-hitching up....my driveway is probably the worst possible configuration. From the street, there is a rise to a sidewalk, and then a steep drop to the garage. When I back the trailer to it's current storage location, I have to put one side up over the curb. I had to place a length of 6 x 12 in the gutter so my front tire won't drop while I'm pulling the stinger out of the hitch head. And rehitching was a real PITA to get it aligned again. However, when we were rehitching at the campground, it was an easy process, because it was all mostly level and in-line.

Sorry for being so long-winded....again, thanks again for the warm welcomes. I will be posting in the expandable section, as we had a few minor issues this weekend that I will be soliciting advice for.

Lory
LoryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #9

LoryJ, thanks for info, I will be purchasing one in the spring with new 8319SS. I have a F150 FX4 5.4L with 3.73 rear axle ratio. Sure want to put max safety on my side.
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to jk31668
we recently bought a sunseeker 3100ss new at the rv show in atlantic city. been using it alot all summer/fall. love it. only prob. was the ac/heat control box died at just 6 months. was replaced under the warranty. i was told this is a common problem for the 13500 btu dometics.
jk31668 is offline   Reply With Quote