Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

New Forester 3011DSF

We just picked up a new Forest River Forester 3011DSF Class C. Thought I'd join here so I could learn from the Forest River Vets. Been RV'ing for over 20 years, started with 5'ers and eventually went to a Diesel Pusher (previous RV) and now to this one. Figured we'd try out a Class C. So far really loving the new rig. Fixed most of the factory issues that I found, got a couple warranty items we'll get taken care of... but nothing out of the ordinary I'd say. Took our maiden voyage this past weekend and it was great. Now just doing some of my own modifications (to make it better) so I'll be searching through a lot of stuff here.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #2

Welcome from SW Ohio ! Enjoy your MH !
Old 11-08-2016, 04:41 AM   #3

welcome 1000RR

Welcome from Cordova Tn, We have the same model, there is alot you can do
have fun...
No-Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #4

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your Forester 3011DSF.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Fish View Post
Welcome from Cordova Tn, We have the same model, there is alot you can do
have fun...
Thanks for all the warm welcomes from everyone.

No-Fish, yours looks like the same color even. We're loving it so far. If you have anything you've found very useful that you've done to yours please don't hesitate to share

The two things I did this week were:
1) Modified the pull out cabinet next to the fridge (pull out pantry) so that it now has a full height piece of paneling on the backside (side that is on the shower side). This way things won't tend to want to fall through or off that side, etc. I can understand a pass through type pantry if the cabinet were in the middle of the kitchen, but with it on one end, it seemed like it should have a back to it. So I found some paneling that matched really well and took the slideout cabinet out and modified it accordingly.
2) The u-shapped dinette's table now has a short leg for when it goes down to a bed - the table top won't flex. It now has a support leg that uses the normal floor and under-table mounts. In doing this, it became obvious that the mount on the underside of the table wasn't in correct alignment with the one on the floor when the table was down in the sleeping position... that's now fixed too.

Previously I had:
- Wired for satellite (Winegard Pathway X2 Portable Unit) so I could watch different things on different TVs (antenna vs satellite vs cable, etc.).
- Put a larger bump stop for the outside TV swing-down door so the door won't hit the hardware on the small door below it.
- Put little clear bumper stops (stick on type) under each outside compartment so the doors don't get paint taken off when opening.
- Fixed a few warranty related items that I had no interest in taking it in for.
- Installed MaxxAir vent covers on 3 roof top vents
- Finally got the navigation to speak loud enough... there must be 3 different volume settings... finally found the right one.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:30 AM   #6

Ive done a few things to mine, but I must say I like the ideal of the panel on the pantry..lets see: I got the front end alignment and new steering damper ( handles like a sports car now ) , handle for the DW to get in the RV, screen guard, full length mirror on the outside of the lav door, got the outside Tv sound to work though the radio speakers ( thanks to Sagecoachdriver),added another set of speakers to the outside radio/TV. installed a set of driving lights under the front bumper, and a air horn, put a 4 way trailer plug on the back for toad ( extra lights on the toad) add a plywood top to the lt rear storage compartment, tool box is too heavy for the bottom of the basement.added a 2lb fire ext, in the rear compartment , next will be the maxx air vent covers, and the vortec fans in bath and bedroom. mount the spare on the rear, mine is a 2016, going to put a door on the opening above the microwave

had to have the ac unit replaced in Sept, only 2 trips out and it quit..RV was just 6 mos old..new one is alot better..quieter and more air flow. No other major problems,

headed out after Christmas , heading south to Gulf Shores to check on the house, then down to Orlando...ME, the DW..Daughter Granddaughter, 2 dogs and rabbit and a bird lol

happy travels
Old 11-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #7

No-Fish, is the new steering damper and alignment all you've done to change the handling? I noticed I get pushed a bit just by regular cars passing me. Nothing terrible, but it affects my steering (have to steer into them as they pass). The front end does seem to catch the road grooves every now and then and it seems to very lightly tug the steering to one side or another... again, nothing crazy bad.

The paneling on the backside of the pull out pantry is excellent... I took the pantry out and installed the paneling so it would fit correctly. Just have to release the slide clips on the pull out hardware.

Last night I installed an additional outlet above and to the left side of the kitchen sink. We didn't like having to have our coffee maker over by the stove. The one I put in also has USB ports, so more USB ports as it seems everything needs them these days.

I also had to fix the wiring on my outside entertainment system. The RCA jacks were backwards on the stereo. The ARC system inside also didn't work, turned out to be the HDMI cables on the TV were flip-flopped.

I like the air horn idea but even moreso like your adding of the additional shelf in the back storage compartment. I may have to look at something like that too... a lot of wasted space up high.

I also guess I need to get one of those EMS electrical connection protection adapters. Sounds like a smart thing to have?!
Old 11-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
Citrus County, Fl.

Welcome from the Florida west coast.

Some things I have done are:

Hardwired Progressive EMS for both genset and shore, Lithium battery powered smoke alarm under the bed, motion light at entry, LED light for range hood, foam poster board cut outs for the over the cab windows, Compressor/Jump starter (mainly for air bags and in case I run the battery down in the toad), replaced bathroom faucet with a longer one, Roadmaster Tow Defender, and last but not least...braided adapters for the inside duals.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I hope to see you at some of the FROG rallies. We have one in Williston coming up in Sept. of next year. Also BamaGanza17 in Oct.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #9

hey GL1800

did you get your radio straighten out? how do you like the braided air line for the inside duals?

you guys gave me a few ideals on a few other things to do, Thanks..

1000 RR yep thats all I did, I run 75 psi front and 80 psi in the rear tires, 80 psi in the air bags..

Tags
forester