Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

New from Grand Rapids MI

Just signed up on Monday. I am new to this site but not camping.

Let me introduce myself, my name is Chuck Kennedy, My wife's name is Carrie. We have 3 daughters, daughter 1 is married, daughter 2 is in college in Chicago and daughter 3 is Intellectually and developmentally disabled and still lives with us and loves to camp. We also have 2 chihuahua's,1 is a 3 lb named Mylee and 1 is a rescued named Zarah. Zarah has been with us for 1 yr. The dog we had before these died in 2003.

We started to camp in tents in 1997 until 2000. In that yr. we purchased a 2001 Fleetwood Prowler 23 ft. quad bunkhouse from a local RV dealer at the fall trailer show in town. We had that until June of 2010. That's when we downsized to a Rockwood HW296. Love the thing.

We have had three issues with it. Two of them have been taken care of right off the bat. It has to do with the water heater valve. It's been a intermittent problem since we have had it. I just have to uncover it from winter storage next to my barn and park it in it's normal spot for use. It's a DSI unit. Yes water in the tank, switch is turned on, gas valve on at LP tank. gas at wh valve, spark OK, solenoids OK,but no flow from valve. Have had a small piece of alum come out from valve once before when gas lines were removed. sometimes only way to make it work is use rubber hammer and tap valve then the gas flow. I just have to remove vale and check to see if any more small alum. peices are blocking the openings. Good thing I am mechanically inclined and this is not my first trailer. Hopefully I don't have to rpl. gas valve.
Silverado LT Crew Cab 6.0L V8 W/3:73
2023 Rockwood Surveyer Legend 19MDBLE;
Chunky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good to have you aboard, Chuck.

I can't help you off the top of my head with the water heater problem, but you might want to post that last paragraph in a new thread within this subforum.

Plumbing and Water Systems & Fixtures - Forest River Forums

I imagine that some people who can help are missing it in this welcome thread.

Good luck with it.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum !
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote