Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #1

New From NJ

Hello All !!

I just joined up so that I can use all the great info here. My wife and I are in in the market for a slightly used 26'-30' Rockport Ultralite Travel Trailer.

After doing a bunch of looking around online .. the Rockport looks to be what we are going to buy .. they look great ..and they are lightweight.

I have a 1997 Expedition 5.4 V-8 with tow package and also a 2005 Explorer with tow package and 4.6 V-8 .. which I would much rather use over the Expedition.

Can any one give me a rough idea what I should be looking for MAX weight wise, using the smaller SUV ?

Thanks do much for any info

Ken
Ken in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #2

Hi Ken, welcome to the forums.

I would NOT use the Explorer for towing that rig. There has been a lot of people ask the same questions here and lots of good information given on the subject. Try the "Search" function on the top menu bar and just search for "Explorer" and you will find all the answers and explanations for your question.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #3

As I understand it U-Haul won't rent you a trailer if you are going to pull it with an Explorer - so I would be hesitant to pull any kind of travel trailer. I am sure these aren't the answers you were looking for. So do the above mentioned search to get a better picture of what you can pull with the Explorer.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptypockets View Post
As I understand it U-Haul won't rent you a trailer if you are going to pull it with an Explorer - so I would be hesitant to pull any kind of travel trailer. I am sure these aren't the answers you were looking for. So do the above mentioned search to get a better picture of what you can pull with the Explorer.
having had an Explorer, i know the U-Haul policy is true.
but i know that there are many Explorer owners that tow their trailers, with no issues.
of course, the Expy is a much better choice and you'll get the same gas mileage, maybe slightly better with the Expy.

i think you have the wrong name, Rockport. i think you mean Rockwood. there isn't any Rockport TTs that i could find.
the Explorer has about a 7,000lbs. tow capacity so i wouldn't go any bigger than a trailer with a GVWR of 6,000lbs and 25' long.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
having had an Explorer, i know the U-Haul policy is true.
but i know that there are many Explorer owners that tow their trailers, with no issues.
of course, the Expy is a much better choice and you'll get the same gas mileage, maybe slightly better with the Expy.

i think you have the wrong name, Rockport. i think you mean Rockwood. there isn't any Rockport TTs that i could find.
the Explorer has about a 7,000lbs. tow capacity so i wouldn't go any bigger than a trailer with a GVWR of 6,000lbs and 25' long.
You are 100% Correct .. where I came up with Rockport ?? Who knows
Ken in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #6

That trailer will be testing the abilities of the Expedition, not to mention way overload for the Explorer, shorter is better and really plays a big part in ability to tow, wind drag is huge not just from the front of the trailer but the entire length of the trailer produces drag, not to mention side wind sway and head wind from the semi-trucks.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #7

One other piece of advice... Think hard about where you will be camping. Traveling 10,000 miles a year is way different than 30 miles to a local campground that you visit 8-10 times a year.

If you plan to take routine long distance trips, invest heavily in every upgrade/safety feature you can find.

You'll appreciated it when your on major highways and the big signs start flashing to warn you that the road is being shut down to to high winds, then of course comes the dust storms and the rain/snow mix.. All in the same state on the same afternoon!
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote