Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2018, 08:47 AM   #1

New Happy Camper

Hi all. We're heading from TN to OH Monday to pick up our 2019 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26RR toy hauler! Very excited....but a little nervous too.

We're first-timers; haven't pulled anything more than a 14' utility hauler, haven't camped before, so ANY advice, tips, pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Nancy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your 2019 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26RR.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
Censored Member

It looks like you’re not buying from a local dealer (as recommended by Forest River) which could be a problem for you when it comes to warranty work. Be sure to do a comprehensive PDI.

My suggestion would be to find a full hookup campground site very close to the selling dealer and camp in it for three days or more. Before taking the camper to that campground haul it a hundred and fifty miles on the highway before setting up at an RV park close to the dealer. At the campground live in it for at least three days and when issues show up be sure the dealer will take your unit in immediately to make repairs.

Good luck with your new RV.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #4

Hi Nancy O. There is a lot of great information on this site and especially for first time travel trailer owners. One of the first things you will be asked is what vehicle will you be towing the trailer with. Definitely take your time with the walk through and make sure you are understanding what the dealership is explaining. Don't be afraid to ask them to show you again how a few things work in case you were not sure of. Best of luck and keep us updated and pictures of the new rig after you get it home is always appreciated.
Locky!!
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:11 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum from MN.
My only thought is, make sure you understand the WDH setup. Toy haulers are tongue heavy when empty, so if you tow it home empty, you'll need to adjust the WDH when you put something in the back. And I should probably let someone with a toy hauler actually speak to that since i don't have one
Enjoy the camping.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #6

Excellent advice (wish I solicited it sooner) but unfortunately we need to get right back to TN. We have a PDI scheduled and will go over it with a fine- toothed comb for sure. Only reason we went so far is because we're in a Grey Wolf toy hauler "dead zone" and couldn't find one any closer.
It's my understanding that warranty work can be done at any Forest River dealer, no?
Old 05-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy O View Post
Excellent advice (wish I solicited it sooner) but unfortunately we need to get right back to TN. We have a PDI scheduled and will go over it with a fine- toothed comb for sure. Only reason we went so far is because we're in a Grey Wolf toy hauler "dead zone" and couldn't find one any closer.
It's my understanding that warranty work can be done at any Forest River dealer, no?
Yes, any FR dealer can do warranty work. I think it's mainly a question of getting slotted in if the dealer is busy. Enjoy the camper.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #8

Thank you all for your advice and well wishes! You're very kind. 💟 I can see I'm gonna be on here a lot!
Old 05-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #9

Quote:
I bought my camper 6 hours away. Down and back the same day. I did a couple items via UPS when a tiny issue came up. No big deal. Plenty of stories of the purchased-from dealer sucking, so it isn't gospel.

Good luck. Enjoy.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
Censored Member

Quote:
Just because they can doesn't mean they will. Some dealers won't work on units they didn't sell.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #11
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum and the world of RVing. Enjoy and . The only down side to not being able to buy at a local FR dealers is when you do need warranty work they will shove you back in line and take care of the folks that bought from them. Also take good notes when doing PDI and make sure everything works before signing on dotted line. The old story take care of it later will never happen. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #12

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new 2019 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26RR.
I am sure you will enjoy your new TT.
While doing your PDI try video taping {use cell phone}is much as you can. Ask Questions and make sure it comes with any information booklets needed. They should have the camper plugged in refrigerator should be cold and water should flow when you turn on the faucet with out any leaks. Let them explain the water heater and how it works. How to use the toilet, and dump the holding tanks.
Ask about any maintenance you might need to do to keep your camper happily rolling.
Be sure to ask questions.
Understand how to hook up and set up your camper when camping.
Good luck and happy camping to you.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
I bought my camper 6 hours away. Down and back the same day. I did a couple items via UPS when a tiny issue came up. No big deal. Plenty of stories of the purchased-from dealer sucking, so it isn't gospel.

Good luck. Enjoy.
When living in Southern CA we ordered from a dealer on the CA Central Coast about 250 Miles north from us. The local dealer couldn't or wouldn't compete on price...6 months later we need some minor warranty work done the local dealer said sure no problem you can bring it in long story short their service department was lousy a bunch of bumbling stumbling idiots and if I ever needed any warranty work done in the future knock on wood I didn't I wouldn't take it back there anyway even though it was only 15 miles away from our home.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:30 AM   #14

I'm out of warranty now, but I fix it myself anyway, no matter what. So for me, not a priority. Others, not so much.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi all. We're heading from TN to OH Monday to pick up our 2019 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26RR toy hauler! Very excited....but a little nervous too.

We're first-timers; haven't pulled anything more than a 14' utility hauler, haven't camped before, so ANY advice, tips, pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome from SW Ohio, we also are new to this and purchased our TT from a dealer in Indiana four hours away due to price and availability. Make sure you have a good understanding of your new trailer and are comfortable with everything before you leave the dealer and you should be fine. Enjoy your new toy. Happy camping [emoji106]
LambPen-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #16

We talked with a dealer close to us when we were shopping around and even tho we didn't buy from him (he didn't have what we were looking for), he said he works on units purchased elsewhere - will even make house calls. So will keep my fingers crossed of we ever have to test that pledge.

Thanks all! Keep the advice coming!

Tags
camper, cherokee grey wolf 26rr, new owner, toy hauler