Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2020, 06:31 PM   #1

New Indiana Guy here

Afternoon All- Im new to the forum and looking for some quick thoughts. My family and I are definitely not new to the camping scene, but were are VERY new to the 5er club. In-fact we're soo new, we are picking the trailer up this Saturday!!! We're pretty excited but I have several reservations to start with.

I have searched high and low for internet info, but came up short just about everywhere... I have an '18 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4, and am in the process of purchasing an 18' Salem Hemisphere 337BAR. Now while I've done all the research I think I have been able too, I haven't been able to find this set up with this TV to know if the bed rails will be an issue or not.

After hooking to this 337BAR with a pin weight of 2000#, will I receive enough bed rail clearance? Bed rails are standard for the "new" trucks coming in at 59". I called the RV dealer, but because where its parked, they were unable to measure accurately (making me think its short). Is there anyone out there towing something similar without having to make modifications to the TV or 5er? I am hoping after hooking, it will tow level without mods....

Thank you in advance for the add, forum acceptance, and warm welcomes!!
Scooter02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter02 View Post
I called the RV dealer, but because where its parked, they were unable to measure accurately (making me think its short). Is there anyone out there towing something similar without having to make modifications to the TV or 5er? I am hoping after hooking, it will tow level without mods....

Thank you in advance for the add, forum acceptance, and warm welcomes!!
Welcome to the forum!

I have no idea, but it seems a bit suspicious that they couldn't 'measure accurately'. Don't sign any final papers til you're certain that RV will fit your truck.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I have no idea, but it seems a bit suspicious that they couldn't 'measure accurately'. Don't sign any final papers til you're certain that RV will fit your truck.
Thanks for the advice Reverse_snowbird, that was one positive about this dealership. They will go through a full orientation, hook up procedures and everything that comes with it, before signing any kind of purchase papers. They have mentioned that if I was unsatisfied with The orientations, or anything about the rig, they would allow me to walk away.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:02 AM   #4

Welcome from SW Ohio .
Old 02-18-2020, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman53 View Post
Welcome from SW Ohio .
Thank you geeman53!!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:41 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum from Missouri. Enjoy your 5er. Safe travels and Happy camping.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsworld View Post
Welcome to the forum from Missouri. Enjoy your 5er. Safe travels and Happy camping.
Thank you Wattsworld!!! hoping for many years of great times!
Old 02-21-2020, 07:52 AM   #8

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:24 PM   #9

Welcome to a fellow Hoosier!

We're from north central Indiana and hit all of the state parks in the northern half of the state.

Sorry, can't help you out with any 5er questions as we currently stick with a 38' bumper pull, but hopefully the dealer gets you fixed up! Maybe we'll see ya out and about this summer!!

Kris
Old 03-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #10

Welcome from upstate NY. You did not mention the brand of hitch you are using. My Demco Autoside was adjustable to three different heights. If you can adjust your hitch height, I'm sure you will have no problems, Also the pin box on the 5-er can be altered to afford more clearance. I'd get to the dealer early in the day so you can sort out the hitch height. Good luck, we'll see you on the road! God Bless.
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otegoans View Post
Welcome from upstate NY. You did not mention the brand of hitch you are using. My Demco Autoside was adjustable to three different heights. If you can adjust your hitch height, I'm sure you will have no problems, Also the pin box on the 5-er can be altered to afford more clearance. I'd get to the dealer early in the day so you can sort out the hitch height. Good luck, we'll see you on the road! God Bless.
First off, thank you so much for responding to my post. The I have is a Curt A16 and is adjustable. I have since picked up the fiver, and sits just out of level (high) but unfortunately there is not enough room to drop it, because it’s at its lowest setting. The height is not too bad, about 2 inches in 40 foot. All in all I’m happy with it. It really tows nice. Thank you again, and God bless you!