RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #1

New like real new

Just bought a 2016 salem 241qbxl and picking it up Thursday.

Friday to the beach, any guesses on what i screw up first?
DaringfaithREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #2

If you’re like us at first, it’ll be a long list. ��. But the upside is it’ll provide you guys with lots to laugh about later. Enjoy the heck out of it!
Old 07-08-2018, 07:09 PM   #3

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your 2016 Salem 241qbxl! Better to ask questions first so you don't screw anything up .
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaringfaithREK View Post
Just bought a 2016 salem 241qbxl and picking it up Thursday.

Friday to the beach, any guesses on what i screw up first?
You better use Camp Driveway before taking it to the beach.
That way you can make sure everything works while at home.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

1. Always use a checklist.
2. Don't ask advise from people who aren't having fun because they're not doing it right.
3. Never, never, rush anything.
4. Practice backing up.
5. Walmart and Dollar General are your friend and neither are too far away.
6. Lot's of (mostly) good advice here on FRF.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #6

Roger that. Actually by beach, i mean paved campsite on the beach.

And thank you all for feedback
DaringfaithREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:02 PM   #7
Cyber Phrenologist

As far as outfitting your trailer, where you want to be, eventually, is everything you need is already in the trailer... can opener, coffee maker, pots, pans, linens... even toothbrushes.

All we ever have to pack/unpack for a trip is food and clothes.

Soap, toothpaste, trashbags, toilet paper and other such are packed in in the spring and stay all season, unloaded and used up in the house at end of season.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Video tape your PDI. If you have kids, get a babysitter and leave them at home during your PDI. Do not hand any money over to the dealer until everything is fixed to your satisfaction. Your money is their motivation. Once they have it, you go to the end of a very long warranty work line that will take weeks to months to get done. If you have to delay your trip then delay it, you will be thankful in the long run. Make sure they demo and you return the demo on everything. If it turns on or off, opens or closes, moves up or down etc you want to practice it with them. Make sure you learn how to use your dump valves (look up geo method for tank management). Make sure the water tanks fill, water heater works, faucets run and no leaks. check the roof and all caulking etc. Make sure they demo how to winterize and dewinterize your trailer (water heater/pipes etc). This will save you money and time in the long run. Have them show you how to properly hook up and unhook your trailer.

Take your time. Expect to be there for a long time. A good PDI should last at least an hour. We were there for over 5 hours making them fix things before taking possession with this trailer.

As for what will you mess up? Your guess is as good as mine but we have all made some pretty good mistakes. That is how we learn. If need be, ask a neighbor for some help. A suggestion for backing up... get a set of walkie talkies for you and your co-pilot (spouse). This will prevent yelling and annoying others. Learn to direct by saying drivers side/passenger side instead of left/right. It decreases confusion. DH will direct me by saying things like tree 3 feet back drivers side or go more to passenger side. He will tell me to slow down as I get close to a stopping spot. Working on communication is important. Remember, you will not always be happy with each other during backing in. Take deep breaths and remember you are trying to help each other.

Also, make sure you buy a water pressure regulator to prevent too high water pressure from destroying your water lines (cheap at walmart), and a surge protector that protects from over/under power problems. Very important to keep your electric and appliances from getting destroyed by pedestal power problems.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:13 PM   #9

I do a lot of similar camping. First thing you'll rapidly tire of is the sand everywhere. Have a broom handy and a rubber mat outside. Flip flops left by the door are also a good investment. If you're by the ocean, a thorough post-trip rinse, especially down around the frame and axles, will help keep the rust at bay.

And there's this, of course:
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote