Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #1

New Member in WI

HI all,
New member to the forums, but not new to camping. I grew up camping with my family - first in tents, then progressing to an inexpensive, older travel trailer. I always loved being outside and sitting around the campfire. Now I have a wife and three kids. About 5 years ago, I decided that I wanted to start creating memories for my family (of camping) that I have from my childhood. We started out tenting it, and that lasted only about two years. My wife was never the "outdoorsy type", but I feel she has somwhat converted. Anyway, after breaking camp in a downpour for the umpteenth time that year, we decided that we would have more fun camping if we owned a travel trailer. I did not want the headaches of a popup trailer, so we skipped right to a hard-sided model. We opted for a Jayco Jayfeather Sport 165, since we did not own a truck. It was a great trailer for our first one - it pulled easily, felt very spacious (for a 16 footer), and we bought it brand new. It was my baby. I waxed the thing at least twice a year, and we loved it. As the kids grew bigger, we decided we needed to upgrade. We were sick of hearing the kids bicker about sharing beds and not having enough room. I decided if we were going to upgrade, it was time to go big or go home. We traded in our Chrysler Pacifica and bought a 2010 Toyota Tundra Crewmax, and about a month later, purchased a 2012 Forest River Wildwood 32 BHDS. Let me say...I really, really did my research on travel trailers (and tow vehicles), and I feel like we have the ultimate setup now. Thw Wildwood gives us everything we wanted for about 4-5 thousand less than most of the other comparable units. A slide out bunkhouse, our own private master bedroom, outdoor kitchen, power awning, jacks - I am in heaven. I am looking forward to years and years with this trailer. I can't imagine ever needing anything more in a travel trailer. I absolutely love camping and love looking at everyone else's setups, and hearing their stories. Great to be here!!

Tony
tony4pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum tony4pyro from a fellow Wisconsinite. Sounds like you put together a great combo with your Tundra and Wildwood. Wishing you and your family safe travels and memorable trips.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Good to have another Wisconsinite here, Tony! Where do you end up camping most of the time?

Have a great time camping with your new setup and have a great time on the forum.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #4

@ Triguy - We usually stay around southeastern/central WI. We are mostly weekend campers, so anything within 2-3 hours drive works best for us. I try to go to different campgrounds every time, but we do also have our favorites that we don't mind visiting more than once. Definitely our most favorite is River Bend in Watertown. Their waterpark is awesome (for a campground), and there is so much for the kids to do there that I never hear them complain that they are bored. The nice outdoor bar by the pool area helps us out too! This year I am hoping to go to Pineland in Arkdale, WI, and maybe Crazy Horse in Brodhead. If you have been to either of those, let me know what you thought. Pineland looks like fun because they have "the world's largest inflatable waterslide", nicknamed "Pinezilla". The kids saw the pictures, and want to go try it out. If you know of any other good family campgrounds, I am open to suggestions. We have almost been to all of the ones in our area that caught my eye. I am hoping to take a trip either to South Dakota or somewhere west in the future, but for now camping around SE WI has been lots of fun!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Those you listed are all on our list. My kids and wife have been to River Bend but I haven't. Not sure how that worked out that way .

We hit a lot of the State Parks. Devils Lake in Baraboo is a favorite as is Peninsula State Park in Door County. The southeastern State Parks that we like a lot are Harrington Beach on Lake Michigan and Pikes Lake.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #6

Devil's Lake is a very pretty park. We go there every fall for the day to hike up the bluffs and look at the fall colors. We have never camped there, only because it fills up so fast and I always forget to make the reservation way ahead of time. We usually have the list of places we want to go, and then decide on Wednesday or Thursday of the current week if we want to go for the weekend. Then I will call the campgrounds on our list to see where we can get in. Can't do that at Devil's Lake because it is usually full.