Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #1

New Member with questions

Hi, first post to this forum with some questions. I decided to buy a Forest river XLR model 39x12 which is their new toyhauler line. I was told buy a factory rep at the Hershey Pa. show that they have stepped up the quality with a dedicated toyhauler plant. I have to say the fit/finish on the unit I looked at was top notch, but in the past I felt Forestriver's quality on the toyhauler line was more hit or miss on the individual units. Also the factory rep. stated they use a wooden truss style roof vs. a solid aluminum structure because a solid aluminum cage doesn't allow for the necessary flex or movement that is needed without breaking the welds. Just curious if anyone knows anything about the new XLR and your views on the roof system.
Newmar/Crossroads /Sunnybrook all use aluminum superstructure, Jayco uses the aluminum/wood roof system. Any help info. would be appreciated, sorry for the long post. Dave
Bulldogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
RAC

I am sure that somone on here will probably have that answer for you, but WELCOME to the forum!
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:50 AM   #3

Thanks, R.A.CWO, I am hoping I am not the only one in the world who bought this unit I was surprised when I was shopping though how close it was to the Heartland 4012, almost identical floor plans.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
RAC

I would be surprised if there wasn't someone else here who has one. If not, there are enough people here who like to research stuff, just give it a little time. I like this forum the best of all of em I'm a member of. More informative people, and a whole lot more willing to help you, rather than keeping stuff a secret.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
RAC

The wife and I saw one of these at our local dealer. Our youngest climed up to the top bunk, but was afraid to come back down! LOL. It was absolutely beautiful, and I only wish I had a truck to pull it!@
Old 09-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #6

R.A.CWO,
They are very nice units and it looks like the quality control is there. I'm sure my truck won't be happy pulling it with 13,600 approximate dry weight. I do have a 2006 Duramax diesel 3500 dually with a Suncoast Transmission, EFI live programming, and larger brakes so I feel comfortable with it. Truck is rated at 16,000lbs from the factory so I'll just be conservative when I load the camper to go camping.