Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #1

New Owner - LI, NY

Folks,
New owner here with lots of questions going into the winter with the recently purchased 36 Salem FLBK sitting on a campground in PA.
Looking to have lots of good time with the camper,,,
chfan558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your Salem. I assume your ?'s have to do with winterizing. Clean the roof and sides, check all roof and side wall caulking, check air pressure in tires, Clean the heck out of the interior especially where food was stored. Remove linens, flush water heater and winterize plumbing system, and seal the heck out of it anywhere critters can get in during your absence. Prop fridge doors open, close LP valves, remove battery after bringing slides in. With the upcoming colder weather and people closing up their campers for the season there will be lots of threads concerning winterizing so check the forum often. We close our down on Oct 15th.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Just let go and punch out those questions.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #4

As a fellow Long Islander, Welcome. If you have questions ask away.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #5

Welcome to the Forums from a fellow Long Islander and congrats on your Salem. Plenty of wonderful people here with a wealth of knowledge. Just ask away and you will get plenty of helpful advice.
Good luck with the camper and hope you get much enjoyment out of it!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #6

Okay, so here we go....
- trailer has been on site for about 4 years. Used very little, It has been taken care of very well. Black tank has been open, and connect to sewer, i am guessing the whole time. Everything i read that is a no no. I am going to close it, go ahead an treat it, and put water in and let it sit.. then fill and open it and let it flow.. sound right ? other suggestions will be welcome.

Winterizing...
Cover or just tarp it ?
Treat the rubber roof with anything? or just clean it ?
Antifreeze into the Freshwater tank, and pump it through to winterize the plumbing lines. Correct ? (bypass the water heater, got it)
Lubricate the Slides ?
chfan558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfan558 View Post
Okay, so here we go....
- trailer has been on site for about 4 years. Used very little, It has been taken care of very well. Black tank has been open, and connect to sewer, i am guessing the whole time. Everything i read that is a no no. I am going to close it, go ahead an treat it, and put water in and let it sit.. then fill and open it and let it flow.. sound right ? other suggestions will be welcome.

Winterizing...
Cover or just tarp it ?
Treat the rubber roof with anything? or just clean it ?
Antifreeze into the Freshwater tank, and pump it through to winterize the plumbing lines. Correct ? (bypass the water heater, got it)
Lubricate the Slides ?

We used to winterized now we take it to Florida

I never covered mine. I had vent covers and left the vents open all,winter to let the trailer breath

If it's a rubber roof Dicor makes a cleaner and conditioner. A lot of people clean it with the blue dawn dish washing liquid.

The Non Toxic antifreeze does not go into the fresh water tank, the 12 volt pump sucks it into the system. Check U Tube, there are plenty of videos on how to do it.

You should clean and lube the slides through out the season as recommended.

Again check out U Tube. There are instructional videos on everything, just do a search.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote