Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #1

New Owner with a Used Spinnaker 36'

East TN is my home but will use the rig to stay in Nashville while working till I retire in 2 yrs, 2 month 3 day 4.5 hrs. After which my wife and I will load it with grand kids and travel back and forth to the ocean

Got a good deal on it and it does need a little TLC.
Pulled it from Anderson SC to Cleveland Tn over the weekend. Went through Atlanta on a Fri. late afternoon. Now that was interesting.

As I did not get a lot of info from the seller of the rig I have some questions on which tank is what (there appears to be 3 cutoffs, I think) .

Big Bill
Big Bill in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the rig, and since you have a couple of years, let's take this slow. "3 cutoffs I Think", is not slow. Lets start with a model number. Didn't look up Spinnaker 36', and there may only be one, if so , I apologize. The black tank is usually a 3 inch valve with a black handle. Don't pull it in your driveway unless you are sure it is empty. The gray tank, or tanks, are usually 1.5 inch valves, and have a gray handle. A picture of each valve will help. You can get answers here, just take your time and and think when you ask, "did I give enough info to get a correct answer?"
Congrats and welcome.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Congrats on the rig, and since you have a couple of years, let's take this slow. "3 cutoffs I Think", is not slow. Lets start with a model number. Didn't look up Spinnaker 36', and there may only be one, if so , I apologize. The black tank is usually a 3 inch valve with a black handle. Don't pull it in your driveway unless you are sure it is empty. The gray tank, or tanks, are usually 1.5 inch valves, and have a gray handle. A picture of each valve will help. You can get answers here, just take your time and and think when you ask, "did I give enough info to get a correct answer?"
Congrats and welcome.

Thanks for the reply.

NADA lists three models in my year that are 36'

M-35RD - 36' x 8'
M-35RKB - 36' x 8'
M-36RLE - 36' x 8'

I did a search and did find out that it may well be a galley tank, a gray water, and a black water. Also the're in some kind of order like, front to back, or back to front. I'm in Nashville working but will be back in Cleveland on Thurs. night and check it out on Fri and will get the model # off the title.

If the're are three, and I did locate three cutoff valves that are accessed through three separate screw in portals, I need to know which is which.

My search of FR forums revealed that the "galley tank" is small and may well only hold 15 or so gallons of shower/sink gray water. I would prefer to have it go straight to the larger gray water tank. The searched thread was not clear on whether that was possible.

Any help on the plumping is appreciated.

Bill
Old 08-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There are those here that can help. I'll offer a suggestion, don't start modifying the plumbing until you have used the camper a few times. The gray water will fill quickly with showers, and even quicker if you add the galley water also. As for the dump order, always the black first, then the gray and galley. The idea is to let the gray water wash the dump hose some.

as for "If they're are three, and I did locate three cutoff valves that are accessed through three separate screw in portals, I need to know which is which.", not sure what you are talking about. The dump valves are usually outside the trailer, on one side, and have a "T" handle you pull. Pictures will help a lot.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
as for "If they're are three, and I did locate three cutoff valves that are accessed through three separate screw in portals, I need to know which is which.", not sure what you are talking about. The dump valves are usually outside the trailer, on one side, and have a "T" handle you pull. Pictures will help a lot.
Again thanks.

This rig has the "T" handle cutoffs enclosed. the only thing exposed is the 3" caped dump connector that has a 1 1/2" line tee'd into it before the last 90 and the cap to hook the stinky slinky up to. The rig does have the "Arctic Pack" model so that might be why the valves are enclosed and accessed by reaching through a 4" round Marine type portal. You can barely see the small white portal caps along the grey accent before the slide I will get a better picture when I get home.

Just wondering if someone knew if, starting front to back, the tanks are 1) galley, 2) grey 3) black.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #6

Sorry I do not have any answers for you but I do want to thank you for "stinky slinky", I have never heard it called that before and I rather like that name. Old Guys
Old 08-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #7

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by old guys View Post
Sorry I do not have any answers for you but I do want to thank you for "stinky slinky", I have never heard it called that before and I rather like that name. Old Guys
It is rather "apropos" if I do say so myself and I wish I could claim ownership but can't.

My dad is where I heard it first many years ago.