Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Colonel

Smile New Rockwood 2703SS in PA

Hi folks,

My wife and I are fairly new to TT camping. We rented Class C, Class A then a TT last year. We like being able to disconnect, leave the 'home' and see the local sights.

Does anyone else have a 2703SS? I have some newbie questions and would appreciate any and all help.

My wife and I are looking forward to many weekends away. The camping life has been great so far.

Thanks all,

Bill
colonel134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi colonel134,
to the FRF! I don't have a Rockwood but its a popular unit here for sure. This is a great place to get answers but also feel free to jump in and share too.

Our RVs are our *home* on wheels.

Happy camping!
Terier

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #3

Hiya, Bill! We just got our 2703SS in April and love it! Just a few minor glitches... the oven wouldn't light, the door latch was almost too tight to open, and the dinette table hardware was wobbly. All those items are covered under the warranty. We had a 1/2 ton pickup truck when we bought it, but now tow with a 3/4 ton. It really makes a huge difference in my confidence while towing. I'll be glad to answer any questions you have and maybe I'll ask you a few, OK?
Pitstop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Colonel

Hi Pitstop,

Good to hear someone else has the same model. We can learn from each other. How did they fix the wobbly dinette table, I have the same problem?

I tow with a 1/2 ton Nissan Titan, what are you towing with?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #5

Hi Colonel,

We love our new Rockwood! We took the camper to the dealer and they had to order a new table from one of Rockwood's suppliers. They also installed the towel rack and toilet tissue holder in the bathroom.
Our tow vehicle a 2011 Silverado 2500 HD. It came with the tow package built in. The hitch is a Class 5 and we had a Class 3, so we had to get an adaptor and a longer hitch pin. Our last truck was a 1990 GMC 1500 with a 350 V8. Towing the Rockwood was obviously a challange on hills and high wind. I thought about buying a newer 1/2 ton to see what difference a new truck might make, but we found this 2011 3/4 ton and it was such a sweet deal we couldn't pass it up. Somebody bought it new and then decided it wasn't what they needed and traded it in. It only has 2.000 miles and they marked it way down, so we grabbed it.
How does your Titan handle it? do you get a lot of sway?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Colonel

Pitstop,

It looks like you got a good deal on your new truck. My Titan works fine. I don't get much sway at all. I tow with the Reese cam action WD bars. I may need to add back springs to improve handling when I get above 60 mph.

I need to take my unit back to the dealer for some warranty repairs. Last weekend when it hit 101 degrees was the first time I had to use my AC, it only spit out warm air, nothing cold.

Could you help me with a couple questions?
Does your water heater work and did you have to do anything specific to get it to work?
Have you played DVDs where the sounds plays loud enough to hear only in the bedroom (button B) or outside (button C) but not in the living area (button A)?

Although we had some issues, we still love the trailer.

Thanks!

Days camping in 2012 - 4
Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #7

Hi gang,
I purchased in July this a year new 2703ss, my wife loves it me well if she's happy so am I. We have had some tv issues sound, picture etc. check all the connections to make sure they are tight. I had several that were barley contacting. no issues with the water heater, make sure that you purge your lines if you have shut the propane off at the valve before lighting oven or water tank I found it harder to start if I didnt purge the lines. Hope this helps
hab98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #8

I haven't done a thing to our water heater and it has worked every time. Of course, we make sure to fill the water tank before turning on the water heater switch at the control panel. Ditto the DVD player. The A, B & C buttons all seem to be at the same level.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Colonel

Thanks hab98 and Pitstop88,

I had some issues with my TT. When a dealer couldn't fix a slide out, the factory came to my house, took the unit back and fixed the slides and 8/9 other items that weren't working properly. When it was delivered back to me, the power tongue jack stopped working. I don't know how the trailer got out of the factory and past their quality control (unless no one checked it).

We didn't use it as much as we would have liked since it was either in the shop or at the factory. It's fixed to our satisfaction now and since we had so many problems, FR gave me the 2nd year warranty at no cost.

Aside from the normal winterizing items, would you suggest taking out the TV for the winter?

Thanks,

Colonel

Tags
2703ss