Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2021, 01:16 PM   #21

Congratulations on your new Rockwood Roo. Our first camper was a 2008 Flagstaff Shamrock 183 (Shamrocks are the same, just with another name, made in same factory)..
They have changed/updated designs over the years. With ours the water pump and filter were under the front bench of the dinette. This was WaterPur's CC1 model. To remove the filter you need to open a couple faucets and then it unscrews pretty easily. They should have included for you a special plastic wrench which wraps around the filter canister.
Our current camper has Waterpur's KW1 filter which many members of the forum seem to hate with a passion so they'll bypass it and install an external filter. We've just completed 6 years with no issue. Still need to open a couple faucets to release the suction before opening. Also need to push up the bottom of the canister into the housing as you are unscrewing. That's because this canister has teeth that lock it to the canister. I can just reach ours. Lay a garbage or plastic bag around the base to catch any water. Good luck with your shower issue.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:19 PM   #22
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
You are proving the wisdom of a shakedown cruise in the driveway.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
My grey water tank stays Open when in my driveway. Unless you're testing the tank for leaks I recommend you do the same. Short hose to run onto the lawn. When we had our only bathroom remodeled a few years ago I showered out there every morning for at least a week.

Where ya located? Where's the dealer? (Just curious.)

-- Chuck
I'm in Columbus, Ohio, the dealer is in Toledo. I've been very happy with them so far, but it is a good 5/6 hour roundtrip when hauling a trailer.

I've slept in 45 states and four provinces, but I have to start a new map for my camper!
EcoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
My grey water tank stays Open when in my driveway.
In case you don't have one.... This allows you to hook up a hose to dump gray water easily with a hose.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Durable...525007&sr=8-33
Old 03-23-2021, 03:32 PM   #25

We drove from Cleveland to Lakeview and saved several thousand dollars.

-- Chuck
Old 03-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #26

We actually drove to Toledo to look at popups but when we arrived they apologized and said it was too cold, they didn't want to set them up and damage the vinyl. We figured since we were there we'd look at the Roos, and we were sold, just like that, and it was about $2k less than RV Wholesalers. We had to use our imagination on the bunk ends but just knowing we had access to the interior to pack, unpack, and clean vs the folded up popoup was a game changer we weren't aware of.

I've slept in 45 states and four provinces, but I have to start a new map for my camper!
Old 03-23-2021, 09:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoBuckeye View Post
I'm in Columbus, Ohio, the dealer is in Toledo. I've been very happy with them so far, but it is a good 5/6 hour roundtrip when hauling a trailer.
Specialty RV has a shop in Lancaster. I have not needed to use it yet. A bit closer than Toledo.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #28

Well, bummer, it's supposed to get down to 27 Wednesday, only up to 35 Thursday and back down to 22 Thursday night - so I guess I'm going to learn how to winterize in spring. Springerize.

One of these days I'm going to make it to a campground!

Old 03-29-2021, 05:51 PM   #29

just drain the fresh tank, then blow out the line with the shower and bathroom sink valves open first, then close those and blow with kitchen sink open... using compressed air if you have a compressor and a blow gun...drain or open up the hot water tank... pay attention to the inside water filter...

don't worry much about the drain traps although you can blow air into them also using a rag to seal the drain hole... there is plenty of room for water to expand there...

a couple of nights into the 20's is not a multiple days long 24 hour hard freeze

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
just drain the fresh tank, then blow out the line with the shower and bathroom sink valves open first, then close those and blow with kitchen sink open... using compressed air if you have a compressor and a blow gun...drain or open up the hot water tank... pay attention to the inside water filter...

don't worry much about the drain traps although you can blow air into them also using a rag to seal the drain hole... there is plenty of room for water to expand there...

a couple of nights into the 20's is not a multiple days long 24 hour hard freeze
We went into the 30s last night and I left a spare thermometer in the pump room (which also has the filter) that's connected to my home assistant so I could watch the temperatures, and since the ducting runs through there it stayed pretty toasty while I left the furnace at 68. I have tank warmers, too, so I'm not extremely concerned about anything really except the low points. But I also figured that if I'm home I don't really need to risk it like I might if I were actually camping somewhere.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
blow out the line with...a blow gun
Curious, how are you doing this without a plug? I'm going to head to harbor Freight for a 1 1/16" socket for the anode rod so I can pick a blow plug up there too (maybe) but I'd like to know your method.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:51 AM   #32

You can make your own blow out plug. Just drill a hole in a male hose cap and screw a compressor fitting into it. You can borrow one from your tire inflation thingie until you buy one. Keep the cap in the camper for next fall. Or buy a fancy brass plug if you're like me you'll lose.

-- Chuck
Old 03-30-2021, 09:16 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoBuckeye View Post
I spoke with the dealer and I'm going to attempt to diagnose and treat this leak myself, with their remote guidance. They think it's just a matter of tightening a connection behind that panel, and my opening it won't void any warranty through them. If this works, I'll have a better understanding of PEX plumbing and I won't need to drive and wait for what may be a simple repair. If I can't do it, I'll still have the option for same day service with them.

I didn't really intend for my welcome post to turn into a new owner blog, but there you go.
Did you fix the leak? Most of those are screw-on adapters with PEX crimped to a barb and then the fitting screwed on to the faucet. Hand tight, then 1/4 to 1/2 turn with channel lock pliers will usually fix it. On my new trailer the fittings under the bathroom sink and to the toilet were leaking. They would just drip, but then when you wiggled the PEX tubing they would spray.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Did you fix the leak? Most of those are screw-on adapters with PEX crimped to a barb and then the fitting screwed on to the faucet. Hand tight, then 1/4 to 1/2 turn with channel lock pliers will usually fix it. On my new trailer the fittings under the bathroom sink and to the toilet were leaking. They would just drip, but then when you wiggled the PEX tubing they would spray.
It was leaking from the fitting of the hot water knob. I gave it a 1/4 or so with the pliers and it stopped for a while, about a day, then started again. Turned it again and it lasted about another 6 hours. Turned it again, and now I'm afraid of over-tightening, but it's held for about 2 days so I think I may have it.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Curious, how are you doing this without a plug?
plugs make it easy. but a blow gun that you may already have inserted into the inlet and sealed with a wet rag you hold and push over the port hole works quite well... after all you don't need a lot of air pressure to push out most of the liquid in the line...

if the fitting continues to drip, pull the hose off, dry the area, get some silicone bathtub sealant in the small tubes they sell... smear some around the inlet tube, then replace the hose and ...

OH... and go to a hardware store or auto parts store and get a stainless steel clamp, and replace that cheap clamp they use on the fittings these days... let it dry 24 hours before pressurizing again... you can also put a couple of wraps of Teflon plumbers tape around the fitting then replace the tubing and tighten that quality clamp... you don't have to let it keep dripping...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water line plug.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	250802  

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 03-31-2021, 07:57 AM   #36

Other than spraying myself with water from the heater (cold, fortunately) because I didn't relieve pressure on it, the blow out was a complete success at 40 psi with a wet rag.

Then I laid in bed last night thinking about the pump and the outside shower, so I'm glad I gave myself an extra day to do it right. It's terrific practice. I'll run the pump dry (I didn't do that) and blow out everything once more, including the outside shower.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:03 AM   #37

Quote:
blow out everything once more, including the outside shower.
probably you'll be good just to uncoil the shower hose, stretch it out while opening the valve and letting whatever water is in the hose drain out with gravity...

every drop of water does not need to be out of the system... once your finished leave all of the water sink and shower valves open giving whatever water still in the lines a place to expand into

Although I have not had any problem with my Dometic 300 series toilet, I did just order that upgraded Dometic 310 porcelain with attached hose to install. Expect delivery next week.

I have used several chemicals on my tent ends you might think about.

I like the 2X Mold spray from Home Depot. Even the threads in the tent ends get black in this moist OH weather... (FL too). I spray the corner folds on the outside and wipe off a few seconds later and all gets clean as new.

I follow up with 303 UV protectant. I re-apply water-proofing to the canvas side curtains 2 X a year. Helps keep rain water from soaking thru the canvas onto sheets and pillows in those all-day/all-night rains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2x.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	250883   Click image for larger version

Name:	303 fab guard.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	250885  
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 03-31-2021, 10:16 AM   #38

I'm a recovering Pop Up owner as well... Went from A Coleman Westlake to a Roo21dk. The Pop Up was getting tired and needed to have the roof replaced so I started shopping and found a used 21DK right here on this site.

Much easier to set up then the Pop Up but the big game changer was the fact that you can pack everything, including the fridge ahead of time with out have to raise and lower the roof and extend the beds.

We leave a lot of our camping stuff including some clothes in it and can hitch up a leave at a moments notice.

Truth be told, I'd still own and be happy with the ROO had my wife not went into a friends 272RL and fell in love...

Happy camping and congrats to you and your family, you're going to love it!
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:26 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
the big game changer was the fact that you can pack everything, including the fridge ahead of time with out have to raise and lower the roof and extend the beds.

We leave a lot of our camping stuff including some clothes in it and can hitch up a leave at a moments notice.
Absolutely, we said this exact thing when standing in it at the dealership. We've been tenters with three kids for so long and there is so much to pack and organize and shoehorn into the vehicle, I had no idea there would be that much space accessible inside the camper. I didn't know that the tent ends folded up! I assumed they slide in, like a popup. When we discovered that, everything else was decided. It's liberating. We've been going to the local RV show for years and they've never had a hybrid on display. Shame.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:59 AM   #40

We're leaving for the shakedown trip in a few hours, going down to Deer Creek State Park. Electric only but I have a full fresh water tank. I'm hoping we get there early so I can back in for the first time without a soldout audience!

Tags
roo