Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #1

new rv'er

Will be picking up our band new "Flagstaff" travel trailer this afternoon. Wife and I are extremely excited, but we are absolutely green as a gord when it comes to knowing anything about what we are getting ourselves into.

Will be using this site trying to pick up on ideas and recomendations from you pros. Will look forward to your responces.

Wife just retired, and we are ready to enjoy the latter years we have remaining.

Thanks, Glen
GleCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Welcome

Please take some time to read as many posts as you can.
This is an AWESOME forum!
Feel free to ask anything and someone will have the answer.
(or make one up that sounds good!)

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
The Old Man

I'm new to this site but I'm now on TT #4 as well as experienced with trailers (5000 gal tank trucks in particular) while in the Army.

It may sound preachy, but focus #1 must be safety. Understand exactly what you are doing and if something doesn't seem quite right...it probably isn't! Especially if you have a used rig, make sure your tires are sound and the lug nuts at the proper torque. TTs aren't really that dangerous unless someone is doing something stupid...then they can be deadly and bad things happen fast.

Second point that I don't think many think about until they've been ripped off once is security. Change all the compartment locks. EVERYONE has keys to CH751 locks! Put a lock on your receiver pin or you WILL lose your expensive hitch someday (don't ask me how I know that!). Then while on the road, lock the hitch latch to keep someone from stealing the rig while you're enjoying a nice dinner somewhere. Then get a hitch lock to prevent someone from stealing the rig while it's parked. And finally, I'd recommend a set of lug nut locks, especially if you have nice aluminum rims like on my newest rig. A little tougher to secure is the batteries and LP cylinders. So far no one has stolen those, but I think finding a way to lock them as well would be worth the effort.

Sorry to sound gloomy or paranoid, but I've been ripped off a couple of times in ingenious ways and also had someone smash a window and break in that way while the TT was in storage.

I sleep better and have much less stress knowing that I've at least hardened my security a bit hoping that thieves will go after someone else.

Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum!
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #5

to the forum and congrats on your new camper. Hope you have many fun and trouble free trips with it.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to BENTE
welcome to the forum..

there are alot of really nice people who will help you out

tb

2009 Wildwood 26tbss
Nights Camped in 2010 38
BENTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #7

Welcome and congratulations. Happy camping!