Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #1

New Salem 27rkss owner

New to the forum & I just bought a 2017 Salem 27rkss 3 hours ago. Just wondering on any other owners of the same unit. Any issues good or bad?
Oh, and hello from Canada!
CamperMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #2

Congrats on your new TT!

I just looked on youtube and I really like the remote feature for the slideout, power stabilizers, power tongue jack and awning. Nice floor plan too
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum from Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Congrats on your new rig.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #4

Welcome and congrats. We recently purchased the Coachmen sister which is a 283 RKS and love the floorplan.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:08 PM   #5

Welcome from SW Ohio ! Enjoy your TT !
Old 01-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new TT Happy camping and have fun from Farmer NC
Old 01-14-2017, 11:39 PM   #7
Site Team

Congrats on the new camper!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #8

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new camper!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
emrichje

We took delivery on 2017 last March and love it. Suggest putting 2 screws in microwave vent on rear before you lose it. Also, learn location of ALL fuses and breakers. Tends to blow fuses that supply power to slide and jacks especially if you use remote And toggle switches.
emrichje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:51 PM   #10

We have a Wildwood 27RKSS which, I believe, is nearly identical to the Salem.

No issues thus far but have learned a lot. Here's a few recommendations:

* Get some spare tail light bulbs and always check turn signal/brake light operation prior to departure.
* Andersen leveler - love it. Check it out on YouTube.
* Andersen jack - hope to never use it but concept is smart.
* Make sure you have a breaker bar as well as sockets to fit your tire lugs and hot water heater anode.
* Get a spare hot water anode
* Get spare fuses (I've not needed any but rumor is that I will)
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #11

We love our 27rkss. About 15 nights in it so far and it has been trouble free.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #12

Talking same unit 2016

Welcome...I've had mine about 6 months and been camping 4 times. It seems I've learned quite a bit after the second time camping and now set up and take down with ease! I've found that backing my unit in on level ground will need to be adjusted to lean to the left (facing the tongue), by the time I put out the slide the RV will lean heavy to that side so you will need to lean it the opposite right off the bat! So far I'm very happy with the RV. I do need to find a top of the line water regulator thou, tried the cheap one from Walmart but it just doesn't do the job...water pressure was way to low. The main complaint I have is the A/C unit being way too loud, can't hear the TV when running. Also, if you run your heat make sure to put your A/C fan on AU (I think that is the setting, there is low/Hi and I think AU). Hope this helps and good luck!
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:34 PM   #13

Thanks for the advice
CamperMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #14

We have had our Salem RKSS for 6 mo. And camped about 30 nights so far. Here is a list of some of the things we learned:
1. Yes, the fuses will blow often on the slide if just the tiniest bit of strain. Difficult to get to fuse box when slide wouldn't budge. A pair of needle nose and a little contortion to get it replaced.
2. Learn where the manual slide out bar is (it's under the trailer toward middle (not where I thought it should be) and the tool to use is inside the pass through
3. It bounces a good bit when walking. We are looking at the X-Bar set up to help
4. It leans to the right because of the slide. Make adjustments when parking it.
5. The trim is one of the downfall of the camper in my opinion. The trim has posted off in multiple places. The bed frame has a splint in base. We need to reinforce.
*the light strand over the couch behind the trim is great but it pulled off on second camp out and got caught in slide out;needs to be taped down to prevent*
6. We experience a great deal of sway towing with Nissan Titan 1 Ton. We have weighed and think all within the guidelines suggested but get more sway than previous. Wonder if sitting up higher cause wind issues?
7. Love the L shape kitchen and Entertain Glamping style often! The changing colored lights, Bluetooth speakers outside and inside, tons of room compared to our other trailer make me love our RKSS.
Happy Camping
Angie and Chris Burns
Alabama
Angieburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angieburns View Post
We have had our Salem RKSS for 6 mo. And camped about 30 nights so far. Here is a list of some of the things we learned:
1. Yes, the fuses will blow often on the slide if just the tiniest bit of strain. Difficult to get to fuse box when slide wouldn't budge. A pair of needle nose and a little contortion to get it replaced.
2. Learn where the manual slide out bar is (it's under the trailer toward middle (not where I thought it should be) and the tool to use is inside the pass through
3. It bounces a good bit when walking. We are looking at the X-Bar set up to help
4. It leans to the right because of the slide. Make adjustments when parking it.
5. The trim is one of the downfall of the camper in my opinion. The trim has posted off in multiple places. The bed frame has a splint in base. We need to reinforce.
*the light strand over the couch behind the trim is great but it pulled off on second camp out and got caught in slide out;needs to be taped down to prevent*
6. We experience a great deal of sway towing with Nissan Titan 1 Ton. We have weighed and think all within the guidelines suggested but get more sway than previous. Wonder if sitting up higher cause wind issues?
7. Love the L shape kitchen and Entertain Glamping style often! The changing colored lights, Bluetooth speakers outside and inside, tons of room compared to our other trailer make me love our RKSS.
Happy Camping
Angie and Chris Burns
Alabama
We also have a 27RKSS and have had few problems but I'd have to agree with you on the trim quality.

Questions for you:

* Where is the fuse box for the slide?
* Would it be possible for you to post a pic of your stereo unit? I have the 2016 27RKSS and I thought it would have Bluetooth but appears to not have it.
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #16

Can anyone tell me the fuse location for a 2016 Forest River Salem 27RKSS stabilizers.
Bilcyn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcyn123 View Post
Can anyone tell me the fuse location for a 2016 Forest River Salem 27RKSS stabilizers.
The ones that kept popping on me were the breakers on the frame rail at the front of the camper. Crawled on my back under the propane/batteries and reset the one. There's a thread I started years ago.. I will see if I can find it and link to it.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadyeyez View Post
The ones that kept popping on me were the breakers on the frame rail at the front of the camper. Crawled on my back under the propane/batteries and reset the one. There's a thread I posted in years ago... I will see if I can find it and link to it.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t
Old 07-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #19

I found the fuses for the stabilizers and the awning lights. They are located in the bathroom closet under the bottom floor panel. Nothing saying there are there in the owners manual. And nothing marked inside the closet either. The dealer charged me over $200 to replace the 2 fuses. I could have bought the fuses for less then a dollar. Not happy about the fuses location and nothing saying where they are located.i think I they do it on purpose to make money off the customer.
Bilcyn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcyn123 View Post
I found the fuses for the stabilizers and the awning lights. They are located in the bathroom closet under the bottom floor panel. Nothing saying there are there in the owners manual. And nothing marked inside the closet either. The dealer charged me over $200 to replace the 2 fuses. I could have bought the fuses for less then a dollar. Not happy about the fuses location and nothing saying where they are located.i think I they do it on purpose to make money off the customer.
There is NOTHING in modern RV owners manuals that is model-specific nor type-specific.
This is true for nearly ALL brands and manufacturers.

The only specific things in the manual, are the individual owners manuals for appliances and electric powered devices.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem