Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #1

New Salem Owner

Hi, we are new to RVing ... purchasing our first RV a 2003 Salem 27BH travel trailer. Previously limited tent & pop-up camping, but are nearing at full retirement age ... kinda hard tenting. We're looking forward to an easier form of camping. We are learning and your forum has been a great resource ... we still have to purchase a tow vehicle. We have an eleven year old son (adopted) who has been with us since 3 months old ... we all love camping (including our two dogs) ... nothing like it ... but the ammenities of a camper is something to look forward to. I wanted to say thank you as your posts have answered many of my questions. You all seem like a great group of campers ... I look forward to learning more and hopefully contributing someday!
mission impossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

to FRF and congrats on the new rig. You definitely want to check out the threads about tow vehicles and ratings here. It will help you in deciding what type of vehicle you'll need to safely tow your trailer.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #3

Congrats!!! Enjoy the camping season!!
AvaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome cfsoistman and AvaMom! I will check out the treads on tow vehicles. We were about to go see a Ford Ranger and checked with the RV dealer (Road House Rv) Terry and John told me to go for either a half ton pickup or SUV (they are super). He said even though the Salem is fairly light at 2.5 tons the Ford Ranger will drag once it has personal items loaded. After reading some posts on this forum we decided to get a 4 year extended warranty which covers appliances, AC, water heater, tanks, frame, elec. brakes. After reading the fridge alone can cost $2K to replace ... the warranty sounds like a good idea. Any suggestions pointed in our direction are appreciated. AvaMom ... Thank you ... we are all looking forward to camping ... once we have a tow vehicle!
mission impossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There is no way a Ford Ranger is going to tow 5000 pounds safely or comfortably. I have owned 2, and towed with both. You need at least an F150 with that much weight, it would tow comfortably. I would question towing that with an SUV due to wheelbase. There are several towing calculators on the internet, just do a search. Good luck with whatever you choose. Remember the car salesman and the camper salesman won't be the ones doing the towing, nor will they do your homework. Look like it is up to you.

One last thing, WELCOME to the group.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

Welcome. I have to throw in my two cents for your tow vehicle also. Don't even think about a Ranger or anything else that small. Even though it is "lightweight", it still has a huge wall at the front that will cause a great amount of wind drag. As windrider said above, at least a F-150 (or in that class). An SUV would be okay provided it was one of the full sized models (Expedition, Suburban, etc.). I highly recommend a V8 with it as well. With you, spouse, kids, dogs, and all your "stuff", it's gonna get heavy in a hurry. Believe me, if you go with something lightweight to tow your lightweight, you will not like it. Trust in those that have gone before you.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote