Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Crookedread

New Stealth Owner and very new to trailers

Hi Everybody,

I am very excited about joining the group of people owning and using trailers. I immediately started looking for a Forum because although I have had campers before and lots of trailers, I have never owner a travel trailer before. I have already gotten lots of really great help and appreciate how quick other owners are to share their experience. I have a 2011 Forest River Stealth that my wife and I hope to use a lot in the next few years. I bought a 2312 partially because I wanted something small enough to camp with and easy to tow, and with just my wife and I, it seems to fit the bill perfectly. Now that I have driven it a few times, I realize that i could easily have gone bigger but it is very comfortable so think it's fine. I do have a couple of questions. Will there be a separate Stealth site under toyhaulers?..... and how do people use their trailers in cold weather with the two exposed low point drains? I have everything else cold proof but am thinking about a block of solid foam pushed up over the two lines that hang down. Any input would be much appreciated. Crookedread
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, congrats on the trailer, and welcome to the forums. I have a "Work and Play" toy hauler we like very much, few problems. As for a separate section, that is up to admin. As for using in cold weather, most don't, unless they are full timers. The solid foam over the low point drains sounds like a good idea. May want to use some self adhesive Velcro just to make sure it doesn't fall off, and will also hold it while traveling. Just make sure you keep some heat on when not in use.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #3

There should not be any water in those lines, unless you open the valves inside of the water heater compartment, and even then, water should pass right thru them, and out onto the ground. The important water lines with water in them are enclosed in the belly insulation, or should be, at least. Hope this helps, and good luck, Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
Crookedread

So I have done some checking and when hooked to shore water, there is always pressure on the low water drains, both hot and cold. I have to put the caps on or it runs out under pressure. I checked under the shower (front bathroom) to make sure that there weren't valves under there to shut off the outside "low water drain". There were not any valves. It appears to me that the lines will always be subject to freezing when it is cold. This worries me when going over a high pass or using it during cold weather so I am gong to move forward with my plan to place a block of solid foam insulation over the lines where they come through the floor. I also plan to install two (one for hot and one for cold) ball valves. This will allow me to dump the water quickly when it is going to be cold overnight or going over a high pass. I will secure the foam block but will remove it when in transit. I keep heat in the trailer unless I winterize it. If anybody has a better idea, please let me know and thanks for the help windrider and 08flagvlite!!

Crookedread
Old 01-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
rebmeM

We just got a Stealth 2612 and we live in Olympia. We just did some cold weather camping trip from WA to FL going through single digits in MT, ID, and WY. We did OK with our drain covers on.
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Crookedread

Thanks Kenn, that's good to know. I may have been overcautious but better that, than having everyone shake their head at you and say "He should have known". Any other tips or comments on the 2612 after making a trip of that length? We love ours so far. I have a project that will last until the end of May so I am using it as an apartment right now but the first of June we are headed out.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
rebmeM

Well, being that we took our on a winter trip here are a few:

1. Insulate the pass through under the queen bed (kitchen for you I think). We used foam insulation from Home Depot.
2. We used a real mattress in the bedroom, for the FR el cheapo ones are not very comfortable. You can use a real mattress on the bunks.
3. At night (if we had power), we used two electric heaters instead of the furnace: One in our room and the other end where the bunk beds. We closed the curtains around each area to keep the warmth in. You can probably use one in the bathroom in yours.
4. If you're going to stay in it and it's parked, I would suggest a heat tape for your incoming water and drain. Or you can get some tank and pipe heaters from Ultraheat (this is one of my future projects).
5. If it's so cold at night and you have to rely on your own water, use the furnace and keep the pump warm.
6. Use foam insulation for the vents - they're awesome!
7. Keep your bathroom door open at night to warm it up - if you're using the furnace.
8. Invest in an atomic clock with outside temperature readings.
9. We noticed that the order where I couldn't get water when it's cold: bathroom sink, shower, and then kitchen sink.
10. All plugs EXCEPT for the bedroom are under one CB. Remember this when using two high consumption AC appliance (not sure how the 2312 is wired).
11. If you're going to tow it: plan accordingly, drive slower, and enjoy the ride.
12. Don't forget to use your generator about 2 hours every month with 1/2 load.
13. round shower tension rods fit perfectly between the bunk railings. Invest in some dark window cover and by doing this, you can remove them without any mods.

That's it for now. The rest are nice to have stuff:

1. Get a better furnace: Duct it to the bathroom, master, and pass through.
2. Replace water pump with higher flowing/quieter one. Install accumulator.
3. Replace water heater with a faster recovery one: Still debating between a bigger DSI/elec or a tankless.
4. Install Ultraheat tank and pipe heaters wired into DC/AC system.
5. 26" spinners for my trailer and maybe 28" for my truck (J/K)

Good luck and let me know if you come up with something.

2014 F-350
2011 Stealth 2612
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
Crookedread

Thanks kenn!

What a great list of ideas. I have incorporated some of the suggestions already. I did add maxxair vents that have really helped keep the moisture down. It has rained so hard here that I could sometimes barely open them so I installed three maxxair vents and got the added benefit of not having the vents condense nearly as bad. I did put the ball valves on my drains and now simply flip the levers rather than put the caps on. Thanks again for the suggestions.