Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #1

New to camping trailer

Hi everyone. We picked up our Rockwood Mini Lite 2304KS two weeks ago and left to go on our shake down trip that afternoon. We had a very basic pop up years ago so we feel really fancy with hot water and a microwave! Love the Murphy bed and all the storage.

Spent the first part of the trip organizing our camper stuff and figuring out where to stow items. Still learning what to turn on when etc. Questions we have now: Do you empty the hot water heater post trip and how? (just run the hot water after disconnecting the water input?) And any reviews on rear view cameras? Our rig is pre-wired.

Oh and our trailer's name is Max from Where the Wild Things Are.
Max the Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:06 AM   #2

Welcome from SW Ohio ,enjoy your TT !
Old 05-18-2017, 07:34 AM   #3

Congratulations on your new memory maker!

Just leave the hot water in the hot water heater. You only need to empty the water out of the system, when you are either sanitizing it, or when you prepare it for winter (depending on where you are at).

As for the backup camera...I have no idea. I don't use one.

Cool name for the rig!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Mini View Post
Hi everyone. We picked up our Rockwood Mini Lite 2304KS two weeks ago and left to go on our shake down trip that afternoon. We had a very basic pop up years ago so we feel really fancy with hot water and a microwave! Love the Murphy bed and all the storage.

Spent the first part of the trip organizing our camper stuff and figuring out where to stow items. Still learning what to turn on when etc. Questions we have now: Do you empty the hot water heater post trip and how? (just run the hot water after disconnecting the water input?) And any reviews on rear view cameras? Our rig is pre-wired.

Oh and our trailer's name is Max from Where the Wild Things Are.
Caution/Notice!! Turn off the Electric BEFORE draining your W/H! There will be a Hex head Pipe plug towards the bottom of heater for draining regardless if Atwood or Suburban! Our LCI rear camera works Fine! Youroo!!
Old 05-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #5

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your Rockwood Mini Lite 2304KS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #6

Ours was prewired for furrion camera. Should be a sticker for it on the mount. It has been a marriage saver as it gives me an idea of what DW is asking when backing. Get the observation camera not the backup as WiFi is stronger. I use it as an aid when driving with a suction cup on the rear view mirror.

For water heater you have a few options. You can drain at the end of the year or after each trip. I used to drain after each trip but got tired of redoing it each time. Now I only drain if it will be over a month between uses.

As other said turn off electric heater (gas too) before draining and allow it to cool. Also fill the heater before turning it back on or you will quickly fry the electric heating element.

This does not work as a winterization solution but I just pull low point drains and open hot/cold water on the tap. It will not drain all completely but may make you feel better about no water in the trailer. Water heater is still mostly full in this case as suction will only get you so far...same with gravity.

Congrats on the new trailer!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #7

dbledan-we were thinking the rear vision camera, not just the backup camera. Thanks for the comments. We found the suction cup mirror also and it helps some to improve rear view, but camera is probably best.

For hot water heater, at minimum I was thinking we should run the tap, after turning off and disconnecting water input to get some of the water out of the water heater.
Max the Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #8

Leave all the water in it. Oxygen is what allows corrosion and bacteria growth.
Dry or full.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, trailer