Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2015, 03:37 AM   #1

New to everything

I am about to try and purchase a salam cruise lit 261 bh model. Just wanted some advice on everything I should know about it. Im using it for my trips from south Texas to my land near casper wyoming.
wildtigger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:13 AM   #2

Welcome from SE Michigan! There is a vast wealth of information here, simply use the search option for any question you might have. I advise to take your time towing, keep a close eye on your trailer tires, make sure the dealer sets up your hitch properly, pay close attention during your dealership walk through, and enjoy your camper!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #3

Welcome from Wisconsin. Weather it's a new unit or used go over everything to make sure all works correctly.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #4

Welcome to the Best Fourm....like the others have said Make sure you and the wife Listen and Take Notes on the walk through, also Ask Lots of questions!!! Remember there Are No Dumb Questions ONLY Ones Never Asked. HAPPY CAMPING
plshilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #5

Welcome from SW Georgia. As everyone has said pay close attention during the walk through, ask questions on anything that you are not completely sure you understand. Keep asking until you are sure.
Happy Camping
Moose509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome from Colorado...we're within a days drive of Casper, I love seeing the wild broncos up there!

You're going to love the TT!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #7

Welcome from Ontario. Spend a night in your driveway and test all the systems, better if it breaks, leaks or doesn't work there then on the road or hundreds of kilometers later.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #8

do research. visits several dealers and negotiate with them all. Do not buy anything until you sleep on it for a few days. check into warranty work and 'who' will do it 'near Casper'. Owning a camper is fun, but there is a lot of work to it also. Do you have the 'truck' to pull it with?

there are a lot of 'little' things to look at before you buy.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #9

Welcome from the State of Texas. Happy Camping!!!
jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenttotrailer View Post
Welcome from Ontario. Spend a night in your driveway and test all the systems, better if it breaks, leaks or doesn't work there then on the road or hundreds of kilometers later.

Kevin
Wise advice right here!!!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:28 AM   #11

Love to spend night in drive way but won't fit there. I'm storing it at rv place. Wyoming is not home yet won't be unless one of the hospitals hires me there. The trailer is vacation home while working on land. The dealership here in the valley of Texas is great. I've been sleeping on it for two weeks now. We decided to buy. Sign papers today.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:22 AM   #12

Find a campground close by and do a trial run there. We went straight from the dealer to hooking it up at Texan RV Ranch and taking a more leisurely run through the process. I'm gonna say we've been extremely fortunate, no issues whatever. And it sure felt good to camp!

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #13

Relax. There will be plenty you forget, mess up, break, and have no clue about. That's camping. You learn best from your mistakes and the worst trips always make the best stories once you've recovered. Nobody ever says let me tell you about the perfect trip we took...they all try to outdo each other with tales of misery. But I'd still never even think about giving it up!
kkhslh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #14

After you negotiate the price see if they will throw in some items like a portable surge protector and weight dist hitch. Don't be intimidated. The worst that can happen is they will say no.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #15

They had no set up fee like most dealerships do here. They will move the trailer to a trailer park either the middle or end of next month so we can get use to it. Cost me 25 bucks a month plus electronic. The owner owned the trailer park too. Did the walk through and the wife loves it. Now reading all the manuals. The hitch and trailer brake switch was little less than 500
Old 02-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtigger2 View Post
I am about to try and purchase a salam cruise lit 261 bh model. Just wanted some advice on everything I should know about it. Im using it for my trips from south Texas to my land near casper wyoming.
Lots of Info at (Changingears.com)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by plshilo View Post
Welcome to the Best Fourm....like the others have said Make sure you and the wife Listen and Take Notes on the walk through, also Ask Lots of questions!!! Remember there Are No Dumb Questions ONLY Ones Never Asked. HAPPY CAMPING
+1 to ask lots of questions

I spent 3 hours on my walk through. I touched everything. and turned everything on and off. I had to have the water heater explained to me 3 times and I was still only about 70% sure I understood it. (Turns out it wasn't as complicated as I thought it would be.) I brought a checklist of things to look at and look for. Good luck with your shopping!
bakwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote