Old 12-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #1

New to Forest River but not to camping

Hello all, We are new to Forest River/Surveyor but not new to camping - started with our first RV in 2002. We just purchased a 2019 Surveyor 251RKS to replace a Sunline we've had since 2002 - I had a mishap with it damaging a side and back corner and Insurance would not pay to fix it - they totaled it. I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer, for sure, as I think I already know the answer but want to confirm it with someone who really knows.

The trailer has an arctic package with heated tanks and enclosed underbelly, so do we need to winterize any part of the trailer as long as we keep it plugged in to shore power? Is there a switch where you can turn the Arctic Package on and off, or is it automatic - we haven't found a switch that says 'arctic package' - but one post I read mentioned the arctic package being 'turned on'? We have a concrete pad and 30 amp plug that we keep the trailer plugged in to all the time as we spend a good bit of time in the trailer just for the heck of it (we really like it). We also plan to use the trailer during winter months for trips, and would rather not winterize it after a trip just to de-winterize it in a few weeks or a month or so.

Also, I had a valve on the Sunline between the freshwater tank and the water pump that I could turn from the tank to pump line to an anti-freeze bottle and pump the antifreeze through the water lines. Has anyone done this and if so, can you tell me how to access the water pump? (Like I say, I'm new to the camper and haven't really searched for where the pump is located.)

BTW, we're located in south central Tennessee not far north of Huntsville, AL, and don't have continuous below freezing temps.

Thanks for any input. I've tried to find the definite answer in the online owners manual but haven't had any luck.
Phil_K_TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #2

You could just drain the tanks and blow the lines out. I do that in New Jersey between trips. I blow it out 3 times till there is no mist, take the water filter out, run the water pump to get water out of it and the sediment filter before it, then out AF in the traps. Before I do all that, I by pass the water heater and drain it. I do all that when temps stay below freezing for days. Over night, if only a couple hours below freezing, I don't do that. If plugged in, you could use a small heater in the wet bay or run the propane heater.
Welcome to the forum from South Jersey.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. A32Deuce has given you some good advice. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, forest river