Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #1

New to forum and winter camping

Hello and thanks for letting me in!

I'm a 40 something female. I've been living in a camper for a few months and have decided to live in one this winter. Once I made friends with of my black water holding tank, I've gotten along fine.

I haven't gotten the new used one here yet, but should have it in around a month. It's a Keystone Montana. I ran across your site while looking for winter tips and you looked like a great bunch of people that I could probably learn something from.

I've seen comments that winter living is not for the faint of heart, but neither is living away from home for work...I think I'm up for the challenge. After all, what would be the fun of renting an apartment?? There is absolutely no challenge in that. I raised a child on my own...how hard can this be?

Right now it's me and my Pekingese and visits from my SO. I look forward to getting to know your group.
campgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Average Joe

Welcome to the site! We're new, too. We've been learning a lot and have appreciated all the kind folks.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #3

Thanks Mr Joe.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #4

Depends on where you'll be camping for the winter? A family from CO tried it here in northern MN, but had some issues. My Dad did it out in ND one year when he worked out there. He's a plumber so he had it insulated well enough that the water did not freeze and it worked out fine.
keep camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #5

Welcome to forum...there is a wealth of information here. In my opinion the main concern with winter camping would be the freezing up of your water supply, if you are using your water tanks there will be issues with freezing. Some rigs come with insulated\heated pads on the tanks to prevent freezing. You will probably go through a lot of propane trying to keep the trailer warm with the furnace as well, they are not well insulated.
In short I don't think most trailers are made for winter use but I live in Alberta, Canada so my definition of winter is different than someone who lives in the southern U.S. :-)

Tim & Jenn
2009 Forest River Grey Wolf 235 5er
2003 F-350 Superduty 6.0 l Diesel
DSP 17K
aiscpl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
MI Camperz

Condensation is non to good for the trailer either. Cold outside, warm inside, plus moisture will equal condensation on your windows, possibly walls which is just moisture damage waiting to happen. Like a previous poster stated...RVs are usually not made as all season dwellings. Good luck though. Perhaps invest in a really good dehumidifier.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
2011 Forest River Stealth

Welcome from the central coast of California
rwtdct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #8

Thank you all for welcoming me here and your suggestions. I'm in Northern Nebraska, so not as cold as Canada! The Montana has a duct heated enclosed basement and does have more insulation than a lot of campers. We've already researched how to do skirting and will be doing that ourselves. I think we're also going to put the "trouble" lights below the tanks. I found a suggestion about insulating the bottom of the slide outs. Also the plastic winterizing for the windows. I've been looking at dehumidifiers and will definitely get one. I have a ceramic heater that I will supplement my propane with. I have a heated hose, which we'll also insulate.

I have tried to do a lot of research on this...enough to know that the camper I'm in now wouldn't work. I was also afraid of causing it damage. We had a very nice salesman that didn't have anything for us, but told us what to look for and what to ask. When he called back to see if we'd found anything, Eric told him what we were looking at. He gave him the thumbs up.

Hopefully this will be a comfortable adventure.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #9

Greetings from Minnesota and Welcome to the Forum!

Good luck on the winter camping!
RasOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by campgrl View Post
Thank you all for welcoming me here and your suggestions. I'm in Northern Nebraska, so not as cold as Canada! The Montana has a duct heated enclosed basement and does have more insulation than a lot of campers. We've already researched how to do skirting and will be doing that ourselves. I think we're also going to put the "trouble" lights below the tanks. I found a suggestion about insulating the bottom of the slide outs. Also the plastic winterizing for the windows. I've been looking at dehumidifiers and will definitely get one. I have a ceramic heater that I will supplement my propane with. I have a heated hose, which we'll also insulate.

I have tried to do a lot of research on this...enough to know that the camper I'm in now wouldn't work. I was also afraid of causing it damage. We had a very nice salesman that didn't have anything for us, but told us what to look for and what to ask. When he called back to see if we'd found anything, Eric told him what we were looking at. He gave him the thumbs up.

Hopefully this will be a comfortable adventure.
You sound very well informed and prepared! Enjoy the peace and serenity of your camper...I refer to mine as my little house...which I generally prefer to our regular house. I heard someone say good things come in small packages....I concur!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
NELA

We're looking forward to winter camping here in the deep South (LA) which, of course, does not compare to winter in MN. And we won't be full timing it for winter.

Kudos to you! You're so pro-active I've a feelin' you're gonna do just fine!

Oh, and welcome to the finest place on line for camping information and assistance!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter