Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #1

New to RV Camping

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd introduce myself and my family. We just purchased a 2011 Rockwood Ultralite 2901SS and this is our first travel trailer. We have been tent camping for years and finally decided to give a travel trailer a try. We have 3 kids so the bunk room in the back of the 2901 should work out great for us.

We live in North Carolina so if anyone is out this way and has any recommendations for where to camp in the state we'd love to find some new places.

We're looking forward to this new adventure and hopefully I won't have to post too many stupid newbie questions here.

Ken
kenbulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #2

Welcome

Just remember that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

We are all newbee's
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #3

I am new to camping as well and live in NC. We have found a couple good places.

McDowell Nature Preserve
New River Campground
Grandfather Campground

By far our favorite is the Grandfather campground. If you go ask for a site up on the hill. We live close to Charlotte and have a young kid so we go to the McDowell Nature Preserve a lot. It's near Carowinds and they have great hiking trails and very clean modern bathrooms.

Hope this helps some. Next year we hope to find more. We just put the trailer away for the winter.

Rodney

Nights Camped 2010 - 20
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #4

Ken,

and congrats on your new camper. There are plenty of nice people here with a lot experience, so be sure to ask any question you may have.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #5

Welcome............

2009 F150 SCREW4x4 Prodigy P3 and tow package Valley WDH and dual anti sway
2006 Party Barge 21 90 Merc Optimax
2011 RockWood 2702 SS arrived 11.10.2010
nights camped 2010 6
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #6

Welcome!
rodupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #7

Welcome, my wife and I just joined forum a month ago and it is very informative
bryanne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #8

Welcome to the FR forum !
Old 11-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #9

Form NM
Old 11-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #10

Hello everyone,

Ken...welcome. My family too is new to RV'ing...this July we got our Georgetown 350. We have 3 kids too and the bunkbeds are great...now if I could just get my eldest daughter(5) to stop climbing in bed with us...oh well the joys of little ones.

We needed an RV as I sail Hobie 17 Catamaran in division 11 up in New Jersey area and need to pull the boat on local regatta circuit.

Anyway...look forward to learning from the forum and hopefully contributing with some future wisdom.

We are heading to FL for a trip in early January. Wondering if anyone would have a suggestion for a nice place to stop for an overnight that is near interstate 95 somewhere below Richmond VA?

Thanks

Bfrey
bfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #11

Question Also very new

I am also very new to travel trailer camping. We just bought our first - a 2011 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608SS towing with a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.6 with a hemi (which I was told by several experienced travelers was good). My confusion is with the "black water flush" listed as standard on all of these models. I have read about how this is supposed to work but don't see the connection on the camper that should be marked "black water flush".....any help??? I have only had the camper a little over a month and a 1/2 and have used a honey wagon and dump station to drain, but still not the "black water flush" listed on the paperwork. It also is not in the manual.
??? Thanks for suggestions and advice as it IS a learning process.
Pandoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #12

Welcome from the old guys.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #13

Welcome kenbulmer. We also purchased a 2901SS this year (this is our fifth RV). We absolutely love the floorplan and the entire camper in general. I know what you are saying about the bunks in the rear. We only have one child and she likes to have friends along camping. We have had as many as 3 kids and 4 adults in the camper for a weekend with plenty of room to spare. If you ever have any questions specific to your model feel free to shoot them towards me.

Sorry no suggestions on campgrounds in your neck of the woods. We are from northwestern Ohio and haven't camped in the Carolina's.
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras View Post
I am also very new to travel trailer camping. We just bought our first - a 2011 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608SS towing with a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.6 with a hemi (which I was told by several experienced travelers was good). My confusion is with the "black water flush" listed as standard on all of these models. I have read about how this is supposed to work but don't see the connection on the camper that should be marked "black water flush".....any help??? I have only had the camper a little over a month and a 1/2 and have used a honey wagon and dump station to drain, but still not the "black water flush" listed on the paperwork. It also is not in the manual.
??? Thanks for suggestions and advice as it IS a learning process.
Pandoras,

We had our 2901SS out for our first trip this weekend. On our unit the black water flush is a 2nd hose connection on the unit that goes directly into the black water tank. I unhooked the city water connection and used a different hose to hook up the black water flush and when I opened the black water drain I turned on the city water to flush out the tank. We have a small clear extension on the drain so you can see when it is finished training. Once the water coming from the black water tank was running clear I knew the tank was emptied and flushed out. Chances are you have another hose connection close to where the black water tank is. Hopefully that helps... (and hopefully I did it right being it was our first time out)

Ken
kenbulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #15

Welcome: If you have dogs, check out Four Paws Kingdom campground in Rutherfordton. You might also like the Jordan Lake state campground near Raleigh. In the mountains, our favorite is Mama Gertie's Hideaway in Swannanoa, halfway between Asheville and Black Mountain. And Dan Nicholas Park in Salisbury has a great campground with lots of stuff to do. Too much to list here. Check their website.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #16

Welcome to the Forum.
lottabull54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #17

New?, no sweat! We started 23 years ago and still have questions and "oops" in our camping life. 2 pull trailers,a fifth wheel, 2 motor homes and now back to the comfort of a fifth wheel with a diesel truck. Raised 2 kids and now camp with 2 grand kids and loving every time we are out. Have fun & there isn't anything more fulfilling.
bounderlong is offline   Reply With Quote