Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #1

New to RVing

We are new to RVing and looking to buy a trailer. We will be towing with 2012 Toyota Tundra crewmax 4x4 that is rated to tow 9000 gross. I think I would like a 5th wheel/gooseneck but a travel trailer might be better suited to this tow vehicle. Any comments would be appreciated about what others have experienced while towing with this type vehicle.
Thanks
Newbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #2

you will find a lot of opinions on here about towing a 5'ver with a Tundra. I tow a 35 ft'er ( non-5'ver )with a 09 Tundra.

The long of the short is that your gonna know its back there, being a half ton.

Can you do it, absolutely. You will be the only one to know what you are comfortable with.

I will say this My tundra has 80,000 miles on it, and I will be shopping for a 3/4 ton for my next truck.

-Bill Thomas
Palomino Solaire 317 BHSK
billt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #3

We tow a 34 foot TT with a 2010 Tundra and a Andersen hitch and it does great. Zero issues towing it. Can't say about a 5th wheel but a good size TT is no issue.
Greywolfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #4

We travel frequently with a friend who has a '09 Tundra and tows a Rockwood Ultra-Lite 8289WS (ULVW 7793#) Recently completed a trip with him from Texas to Charleston, SC and another to Mountain View, AR (a couple of 11% grades) without any problems, his truck handled the trip fine. Actually gets better mileage towing the 5ver than his previous TT.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Site Team

I tow a rockwood 8282ws at 7700lbs dry with my 08 tundra. My truck was rated at 10,600 towing cap. I do have (and need) the rear airbags. I have no problems towing. Previous 5er was 8700lb wildcat. Pulling is no problem. Pin weight is the bigger issue. There are a lot of light weight 5th wheels out there. Do your research. Ask on forums for advice. Put a lot of salt on anything a salesman tells you. :-) AND, there are some great floor plans out there in bumper pull models too. You have a great truck, but our tundras do have their limits. Best of luck. I've towed 3 different units with my tundra and loved them all. You'll find what you're looking for.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies. We will continue to look around and make a choice pretty soon. I have already had one salesman tell me he had one customer towing something huge with a truck like mine. No thanks!
Newbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Anacortesians

In the UK, you could tow 15,000 pounds with that truck! They rate the Range Rover for an 8000 pound trailer. They even rate the Ford Focus as a good tow car for a 3000 pound trailer. My relatives back there tow 33' TTs with a Range Rover or a Land Rover Discovery.

I don't know if the vehicle manufacturers in the US market are scared of lawsuits or whether they consider US drivers to be so incompetent as to be a major risk.

« R-Pod Owner | Hello »