Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #1

new to the site and to rvs..could use some help with 32 foot FEMA

Hello everyone,

My name is Rob I am from northern KY. I am a car lover and enthusiast of everything outdoors.

I recently purchased a forest river 32 ft bunkhouse travel trailor. The seller told me that it was not a fema but I'm 100 percent sure that it is after doing some research. No stickers, all white, no tanks. However, I am OK with that. I love this camper it has no smells and looks brand new inside. I paid under 4k for it and it is a 2006 model.we scrubbed it down inside and it literally looks like it is brand new.now to my questions. I have searched this site and Google and have not found a definate answer and again I am new to this so please don't be too hard on me.

Tanks: I am putting this camper on a site for the whole summer that sits right on the Ohio river near Cincinnati. The site has water and electric but no plumbing. Most of the campers there bury a big barrel with holes all around it and drain black/gray into that. There is a shower house which is where I plan to do all of my #2s and most of my #1s so I'm wanting to know if a 75gallon portable tank would suffice for holding black/gray water and then just empty that once it is near full or before I leave each weekend. Will this work? I have a normal toilet. And it is vented.

Second question.

I turn the gas on in front of the camper and the burners will work on the stove but when I try to turn the heat on the fan comes on'you can hear clicking from ignited but no heat and then after a few minutes it all just turns off. I am hooked into shore power here at the house. No battery hooked up. I called the previous owner to ask if I'm missing sonthing nd he said the tanks were too low for the furnace. I grabbed the full tank from my grill and hooked it up. Same thing. Burners work. No heat. Any suggestions? The furnace is a suburban model. Anything else any of you can tell me that I might need toknow about this camper?

I could also use some tips on cleaning the outside. Just some black marks from rain but they are stubborn.

Thank you guys!
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

To do things backwards, black streak remover, do a search on here, and you will get plenty of options. Furnace, do a search on here, and you will get plenty of options. Sorry, but all this stuff has been covered in detail in the last two years, no need to start it again. As for burying a barrel for a septic tank, I know this works with holding tanks. I know of a few folks who have done this, on private land, using a 55 gallon barrel filled with some holes, and buried with some rocks around it. Has worked well for many years. I do know of one instance where it was a problem, and some perforated tail ine was added and cured it. Good Luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
To do things backwards, black streak remover, do a search on here, and you will get plenty of options. Furnace, do a search on here, and you will get plenty of options. Sorry, but all this stuff has been covered in detail in the last two years, no need to start it again. As for burying a barrel for a septic tank, I know this works with holding tanks. I know of a few folks who have done this, on private land, using a 55 gallon barrel filled with some holes, and buried with some rocks around it. Has worked well for many years. I do know of one instance where it was a problem, and some perforated tatil ine was added and cured it. Good Luck.
I have searched a bit but I am limited in my research due to only having my phone to surf on.I will Continue to search
Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #4

This has to be a (JOKE) no campgrounds near Cinn. is going to let (Campers?) put BLACK&grey water in a BARREL in the ground with holes in it! Dont insult our intelligence! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't read where he was in a campground. The original post said just a "site" with water and electric. One should check the local codes first.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

You didn't mention how many people are going to be staying in this trailer. Second, How are you planning to move a 75 gallon portable tank with waste and water??? If it's full you're talking 600 lbs +. If you're planning to use it primarily on weekends and are using the facilities there for your showers and bathroom needs then the tank will mostly consist of dish water and an occasional toilet flush. Since you have a standard toilet you may want to add a brick or two to take up space in the tank so it doesn't use so much water when flushed. If this is going to be dumped at the end of the weekend then 75 gallons is overkill for 2 people but 4+ you may need something that is portable, like a 25 gallon tank or two and may have to dump it each day??? All depends on number of people and everyone using the trailer facilities sparingly.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
This has to be a (JOKE) no campgrounds near Cinn. is going to let (Campers?) put BLACK&grey water in a BARREL in the ground with holes in it! Dont insult our intelligence! Youroo!!
Its about 20 miles upstream from cincy. I assure you I am not trying to make any jokes or insult anyone. The campsite is privately owned. Just one Guy owns it. What my uncle and many other campers there have done is A: dig up a large hole in the ground B: put a large barrel with holes drilled in it into the hole.C: surround Harrell with gravel then cover it all with dirt. This only has to work for urine BTW because most people use the bathhouse for dropping bombs.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
You didn't mention how many people are going to be staying in this trailer. Second, How are you planning to move a 75 gallon portable tank with waste and water??? If it's full you're talking 600 lbs +. If you're planning to use it primarily on weekends and are using the facilities there for your showers and bathroom needs then the tank will mostly consist of dish water and an occasional toilet flush. Since you have a standard toilet you may want to add a brick or two to take up space in the tank so it doesn't use so much water when flushed. If this is going to be dumped at the end of the weekend then 75 gallons is overkill for 2 people but 4+ you may need something that is portable, like a 25 gallon tank or two and may have to dump it each day??? All depends on number of people and everyone using the trailer facilities sparingly.
It would be 2 people unless we take freinds up. The portable tank has a hose port at the bottom for draining. 75 may br a little overkill but I just hate the thought of it backing up. Maybe I will just get 30.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #9

OK guys I have searched high and low and cannot figure out what the deal is with this furnace. Like I said the burners seem to work just fine. Oven doesn't come on and I don't believe the hot water heater is doing anything when I turn it on. Propane regulator reads green. What would you check next? I have one tank empty ajf the other half full. It should he able to run off of this right? What now?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
Villa Estate 392FLFB

found this from looking at your other thread. I have the suburbanb p-40 furnace and its finicky!! have to fill BOTH bottles or it just wont go. i think the problem is that splitter for the two tanks, not the furnace. We have a 300L pig now took out that splitter and it works fine.