Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #1

Thumbs up New (Used) 27HFS Owner in TX

After looking at Toy Haulers for literally *years*, I finally was blessed enough to purchase a very clean 2011 27HFS. Truthfully - I just wanted a portable A/C - but the family wanted something more .

Extras
Onan Gen
Weight Dist Hitch
15K BTU A/C - good stuff in TX
Power Tongue Jack
Fuel Station -
Portable Black water dump tank

We bought it a few weeks ago - and loaded up just after Christmas to play in the mud a little.

The previous owner went over everything - and I tried to take notes/remember everything. This weekend proved that I don't remember so much any more .

I have rented several times before - so I don't feel like a total noob - but I did have my share of opportunities for learning.

Towing out went well. We have an F150 Ecoboost - and other than MPG - it towed nice. Towing home was harder. It was windy - and I tried to stay below 60. My wife predicted an F250 in our future!

I did fill up the fuel station - but didn't use enough gas in any of the toys to try it out.

The water, lights, awning, elec bed, slide-out, fridge all worked well. We even fired up the generator even though we were on shore power.

The Furnace didn't seem to work. The fan would come on an blow for a while and then go off. I don't think it ever actually fired up on LP. We ended up using a small electric heater and survived. Something to read up on.

No hot water either. I'm totally sure that I turned on the Hot Water switch before filling the heater. I'll have to go buy another heating element. Also - didn't seem to work on LP either.

Truthfully - nothing seemed to work on LP other than the cooking surface. That said - I was a little paranoid and kept turning off the tanks.

Otherwise - great weekend of riding ATVs and Dirt Bikes on our family land. We want to take some longer trips - so I'll get to figure out all of the details.

Grover
grover4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #2

One thing you may try with the LP Gas, is to turn the valves on very slowly. Sounds crazy, but I had seen someone post that suggestion here before, and when I had a similar problem, I turned the valve to the tank off, and then turned it back on very slowly, and everything worked fine. I'm sure someone else can explain why it works that way, all I can say is it does! Not sure if that is causing the problem you are having, but it might be a easy place to start.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

Do't buy another heating element. You probably don't need it. You have a problem somewhere with the flow of LP. As Don mentioned, especially if you have two tanks tied into one (auto switchover), you have to be careful how you turn them on. It's more hassle for me, so I usually just use the primary tank, then switch them out as needed. But if you want to try the auto switch over, first make sure the tanks are full. Then as Don mentioned, turn the primary tank on first, very slowly. Then do the same to the other tank. What is happening is there is a ball check valve in the lines that if you turn the gas on too quick, it tends to lodge the ball valve and block everything up. If this doesn't work, you may need to check for blockage somewhere else. You may have a secondary valve somewhere that is shut off.

Oh by the way...Welcome! Where in Texas are you?
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies.

On the LP - I think it was flowing ok - as the cooktop worked fine - but I'll take it one step at a time. Also - meeting with the previous owner today to finalize paperwork - so I'll ask a few mor dumb questions.

I have manuals for:
T-Stat
Generator
Fridge
other misc (toilet, etc)

I've managed to find an online FR Owners manual.

My plan for tomorrow is to inventory what make/model each component is and start finding online manuals for all of them. I have the build sheet - so some of this is on there - assuming I can read the hand-writing.

Also - read the plate - and axle rating - as I am now very worried about weight. Didn't realize the older models had small axles (compared to new). I can see an upgrade in my future - And - yep - 3500# on the build sheet - ack! Looks like 5200# axles are $350ea - can't seem to find 4400# ones - anyway - well worth it since I know I'll want to overload it.

Since it's in a parking lot with no water/elec - I likely can't debug the water heater. I will pull the anode and drain it - as I didn't do that this w/e.

Also - maybe this weekend - I'll try to go somewhere and weigh it - empty and loaded. I'll figure out the WD hitch settings as well.

Ed: I'm in the Dallas area.

Thanks!

Grover
Old 01-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #5

Follow up.

I met with the previous owner to get the title. He suggested turning on only one tank. Since one was empty - I'm not sure if there was a pressure problem or something.

I did this and the Heater came right on. So did the Fridge on propane.

I pulled both LP tanks to get them refilled. The other one was only half full.

Since there was no water in the tank - I didn't try the hot water. However he did dell me about a little magic switch on the side of the water heater. Turns out it was off. So - chances are that I didn't burn up the element. Oh well - I have a spare coming for $18.

Amazon.com: Suburban 520789 1440W Screw In Electric Element

Now the bad news. I definitely have the 3500# axles. They were on the build sheet and I checked the stamping and diameter. Luckily - one of my relatives builds trailers out in CA. Hopefully he can get me a deal on heavier duty axles. If not - even $350ea is fine. I'll document the mod for everyone else.

Other upgrades coming soon.
More D-Rings in the back - so I can park some of the bikes sideways
Quiter water pump
Sound insulation around the generator

Grover
Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #6

Welcome aboard
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote