Old 10-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
RV Newbie

Question Newbie in NE Ohio

First off, this is a great forum, tons of great info. I like that you can unload on FR when they have it coming. In our short time in this unit I have already found several things that have me saying WTF were they thinking. More on those later....

Wife and I purchased a 2005 Lexington 210 with 4500 miles a month ago. We love the size, I'd go smaller (a true class B) and she'd go bigger. So we have the perfect size, small enough to park anywhere and big enough to do everything we need.

We have have had several test runs so far and feel ready to head south for a month or so. We may not leave for a few weeks. I wanted to be prepared for winterizing in case we have a hard freeze any time before we are ready to leave. My only real concern is how to "air out" the water lines and adding the pink stuff to the lines. Any links to the step by step would be helpful.

Our fresh water tank is under the dinette bench. I was considering setting up an electric space heater to warm the cabin if needed and not doing the fresh water until we returned. Is this even an option? Would we keep all the waterlines warm with one heater?

Thanks,

Al
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #2

Welcome and congrats on your new Lexington. You would need a way of connecting an air hose fitting to you city water inlet. I cut the male end from an old piece of hose that would connect to the inlet on the camper. I then put a male air connection into the cut end of the hose and tightened it with a small hose clamp. I am then able to connect the air hose to the fitting and my compressor and pump air through the system to clear out the water. I use about 40 pounds of pressure. Be sure to turn the bypass on the water heater on. You can then pump through the pink antifreeze.
Not sure how your water lines are run and if the heater would protect them.
Good luck.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #3

TMMR was correct in blowing out the lines. We use an adapter that fits onto the water line inlet and use the compressor we carry for the tires set at 30 lbs of pressure to blow out the lines before we add the antifreeze. Your water tank has a low point for draining it. When we travel south to Florida, i leave the pink antifreeze in the lines until we get to southern Georgia then I flush out the lines. The water tank, i leave until we arrive in Florida and set up. Then I run some deluted bleach in the tank and then flush it a couple of times. For drinking purposes on the road and parked, I still use bottled water, not the water storage tank. Its ok for washing and flushing but not drinking. Water is cheap in Walmarts. If you are going to blow out the lines, don"t go over 30-40 lbs pressure or you may blow out a fitting. And when camping always put a water pressure valve in line to keep the water presure down around 40 lbs. Some of these campgrounds have High water pressure. Camped in one that had 90 lbs pressure. I was glad I had my water pressure gage inline. Also don't forget to pour a little antifreeze down your water traps in the sink, shower and toilet tank. If you have a washer/dryer and an ice maker, those have to be flushed with antifreeze too.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
RV Newbie

thanks, i am making my adapter with a regular household hose bib with a air compressor fitting threaded into the supply side of the valve. that way i can shut the air off with the valve if need be.

just wondering the sequence. i figure you'd open the closest faucet first and work to the farthest faucet to clear the water out. Do you need to empty the filter if you blowing the lines out?

On this above the floor fresh water tank, where is the drain on a 210? Haven't looked for it, but I would guess there is a tube or hose attached to the drain that leads outside somewhere....

i'm thinking about skipping the antifreeze and just leave everything open once I've blown the lines out.

New question, is there a such thing as a water pressure regulator with hose thread ends? if so, where would i find one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Welcome and congrats on your new Lexington. You would need a way of connecting an air hose fitting to you city water inlet. I cut the male end from an old piece of hose that would connect to the inlet on the camper. I then put a male air connection into the cut end of the hose and tightened it with a small hose clamp. I am then able to connect the air hose to the fitting and my compressor and pump air through the system to clear out the water. I use about 40 pounds of pressure. Be sure to turn the bypass on the water heater on. You can then pump through the pink antifreeze.
Not sure how your water lines are run and if the heater would protect them.
Good luck.
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

3/4 H 560G [WAT 0355020] - KSCDirect: MRO SuperStore

Here is one. (I bought this one)

I have since found several others online and even in a local Dealer's store MUCH cheaper. About 30 bucks most places.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, lexington, winterize