Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #1

Newbie seeking advice concerning 07 Shamrock 23RS

Hey All!

My family and I are considering our first RV purchase and are seriously looking at a 2007 Shamrock 23RS. Does anyone have any advice concerning this model, particularly shopping advice (things to look for when inspecting the vehicle, what is normal, what is not, competitive pricing, etc?) Also, our TV will be a 2006 Toyota Sequoia 2WD (pax/cargo capacity of 1250lbs, towing capacity of 6500lbs, GCWR of 11800lbs.) I know that we'll be close to the specs in some areas, but I'd really appreciate any thoughts for or against our TV. We're a family of six. The kids are still young, but the TT will have to be able to grow with us.
Thanks in advance for any advice y'all can provide.
All the best,
Rick
RGR_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Site Team

The best advice is to look at everything. Look inside the cabinets and all outside compartments and access doors. If something looks wrong you should be able to spot it. I'd consider a trip on the roof as well. If they don't want you walking on the roof you should take a ladder and climb up and look around anyway. Operate all the appliances and make sure they work even the A/C and heat.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I can't help you with the trailer but maybe with the towing as I also have a Sequoia. You will need to strongly consider the cargo limits of the TV because its close to being maxed out with your family (I wager).

Most half-ton SUVs have a problem with limited cargo weight. Add up the weight of your family plus a little extra cargo in the car or, to be more exact, load them up in a car and take it to get it weighed. I think you'll find you're limited by the TV's 1250lbs cargo. So, for instance, a family that weighs an estimated total of 600lbs leaves you with 650lbs in tongue weight and other cargo (e.g., family dog, etc) in the car. 650/0.13 = 5,000lbs, which would be the max wet weight of your trailer. This trailer weighs at least 3,900lbs an you will definitely add to that once you're ready to camp.

It'll work now, but you will be close to max on cargo with your family at their current ages. But kids grow, so I think the TV will pose some problems for you in later years and/or if trailering in the mountains.

BTW - I am not part of the weight police, but since we have the same truck, I wanted to share with you the biggest problem I see in towing a trailer with the Sequoia.

If you go this route, make sure to get a good weight distribution hitch like the Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:24 AM   #4
Site Team

Rick, you should be fine with the Sequoia, but without knowing engine size and rear end ratio, can't say for sure.

what is it selling for and where is it located?

the 23RS will weigh, on the lot, about 4600lbs.
that's before water, cargo and propane.
a negative on a rear hard slide, are that you can't use the dinette and sofa while traveling, without moving the rear slide out.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #5

Bama Rambler, Triguy, and bikendan,

Thanks for all of the great advice. We decided to take the plunge and put a deposit on the TT today! It's the only used Shamrock at Virginia RV Dealer - Reines RV Center : Virginia's #1 Motorhome & Travel Trailer Dealer! in Manassas, VA. We're looking forward to fully joining the FR RV community, and I'll be on the FR Forums regularly to get the good gouge from all of the helpful subject-matter experts that are out there. Hopefully our paths will cross down the road.
Best,
Rick
RGR_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23rs, sequoia, shamrock, toyota