Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #1

Newbie to the forum, Oldie to the rv.

Hello to all of you and thank you for letting me hang at your firepit. My name is Mike and I have been into rv,s for 40 years. I have a property on the Rock River in Oregon Illinois. It is a seasonal campground but I own my lot which allows me access year round. 12 years ago my wife and I bought a 2001 Wildwood 37ft on the site I currently own.At the time it was a rental only. (seasonal fee). We loved it so much we inquired about the land purchase thru Ogle County. This was achived by upgrading the septic and electric. Fastforward to the RV show at Rosemont in 2011 where we were in the market for a new camper but had no idea what was in store as we walked thru the Grand Villa. It did not take long to make the decission to buy. Delivery and set up included. Prior to travel trailer and destination trailer camping, I owned a few coleman and forest river pop-ups. Before that it was a tent and a sleeping bag. I cannot tell you how much we have enjoyed the evolution of what I consider to be a way of life and not just a hobby. Thanks again for having me here with all of you and I am sure we will have fun in the future.
hotshott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #2

Cool Beans Welcome
Old 03-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. There is a Grand Villa where we have our seasonal site, very nice camper!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #4

We were originally going to purchase a 1 or 2 year old 5th wheel. And I am sure you have been in a couple of those. We camp with 3 dogs and my only drawback to the 5th wheel was the stairs as 2 of the dogs are up in age. After another hour of looking at campers, we came across the Big boy. I was sold when I walked in the door. The camper came with everything but washer/dryer and I had the dishwasher replced with another cabinet. We eat off of paper 9 out of 10 meals anyway. I inquired about a genny which the salesmen replied, We have the unit that was removed from the camper that My wife and I had purchased. Busy weekends on the river can reduce my voltage down as low as 90 volts so the genny has its place. I also have a 8500watt portable rewired for 50 amp only as a backup.. If we travel out of state we rent a class c as the grand villa is a bit large to trailer 2 or 3 times a month. My overall rating is a 10 plus. Best camper I ever owned and it made by Forest River.
hotshott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #5

Good decision on losing the dishwasher for the added cabinet. I mean come on, were camping. I am the cook in the family but always bring a dishwasher along, and she does a very good job .
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote