Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2021, 08:18 AM   #1

Newbie wants to lower a 2013 282TXR

Hi, completely new to hauling and bought myself and 2013 272TXR this weekend and did all the maintenance items and tune brake controllers, etc. We are excited!

But, the trailer sits quite a bit higher than my tow vehicle. The vehicle is very limited in rise height, I can only go up 3/4 of an inch (currently sitting at 0" rise", and I need to level out more. Here is what I researched are my options, but hoping some have input for this newbie.

1. Raise the ball mount (I am doing this, bought a curt 3/4 raiser ball mount but till trailer sits high)
2. Change the coupler to an adjustable coupler (this seems like a lot of work, but would be a great solution for hauling with other vehicles as well)
3. Use an under/over to move the axle above the springs (this would drop it a lot, maybe too much, and seems like a lot of work (for me) but maybe cheaper than an adjustable coupler) ... I am sort of ruling this one out
4. Smaller tires ... these stock tires are unlike anything else I am used to on passenger vehicles ... I re-packed the grease but they are 15" mudders with a huge 28.5" diameter. I'm thinking to go down one size to 14" rims so I can still keep some sidewall and use smaller tires. Also these tires are original (2012), they look in great shape, no cracks and lots of tread, I think this trailer spent most of it's life in covered storage. Also, I don't need mudders, so a more road-focused tire would probably suffice for my use (I am not boondocking and am in mid-west). Also, given they are 2012 probably need to change anyway.

So, I'm going to focus on 1 (raise ball mount) & 4 (smaller rims or tires) tell me if you disagree, or have other ideas.

#1. I would like to use a curt "rocker" cushion ball, but that raises 1 5/8 inch, too high. If I use a 2" drop mount it's too low. The reason I'l like the cushion ball is my vehicle has rather stiff suspension. Also, the trailer comes with a sway ball / bar, and I've seen various ball mount options but nothing that would keep it horizontal with the ball and give me an overall 3/4" rise. Also, the 2-5/16 rocker from curt is for a 2.5" tongue, and I have a 2" square receiver. So I am guessing if I want the rocker ball and a sway attachment inline with a 3/4" rise for a 2" square receiver my only option is probably hiring someone for building a custom hitch? For now, I will be using this and reversing the ball (so it won't have the rocker or sway bar attachment) : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QEM6HQ...hk_typ_imgToDp

That may seem OCD, but every inch is going to count ... the closets I could find with sway and the rocker would leave me 0" rise overall. I also want to stay within specs of the combined vehicles. (Had lots of buddies just say to go higher than 3/4 rise).

#4. I'm completely unfamiliar with how these rims works ... how easy to source a compatible 14" rim with "dome" that covers the grease port, etc. ... should I stick with the 15" rim and just get smaller tires for the rated load, etc. I'm unsure of how much I want to drop the back yet as I wanted to wait until I get my vehicle side finalized. My tow vehicle has 19" rims, 28" tire diameter, and about 4.5" of sidewall. GVWR of tow vehicle is 5712 lbs ... so it seems like I have a lot of room to go down on sidewall size of the trailer as well to match?

Final notes,

1. I'm not a welder, so that's out. Would prefer to stay stock.
2. All of the lug nuts have an outer cap that is "loose". I have re-torqued, but it seems like this is common and mixed feedback on if this is a concern or not (in regards to stripping the underlying nut, etc. Any reason they do this, is it okay to just replace with single piece lug nuts.

Thanks, I know there are probably more appropriate forums to discuss these but these were top of mind for me in introducing myself and getting out on the road.
dduffey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, newbie