Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2009, 04:12 AM   #1

Northwest Indiana Here...

Hi everyone.....My name is Kari & I live in Merrillville, Indiana which is 35 miles south east of Chicago. Right at the bottom of Lake Michigan.

I've been camping since the late 70's with my parents. Our first motorhome, we only had for a couple years. It was a lil 70's green thing that resembled a miniwinni. Then in 1983 they bought a Coachmen Ford Leprechaun. We just sold it last summer! Had 65,000 original miles & still looked good as new inside & out.

They are almost 80 & do not camp anymore, so I took the $10,000 we sold the Leprechaun for & put it towards my new 30' Cherokee Wolf Pack Travel trailer Toy Hauler. What an upgrade! Sure is nice to have a vehicle to run around in also, opposed to being hooked up & awning out on the motorhome. Its also AWESOME to roll my Harley up the ramp & strap it down inside opposed to towing a trailer behind the old Leprechaun motorhome.

I only have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton NON-diesel shop truck, with the tow package with 50,000 miles on it for the tow vehicle, which really stinks, but I can't afford the diesel dually I need....Thats next on the list....

My trailer sits high up off the ground, which makes it sway WAY worse than your average sway. I have the sway bars, the weight distribution package, and honestly I do not think it helps. On almost any trip I have taken with my new hauler thus far, my best friend/neighbor, who is male & like my brother, does most of the driving! LOL... Oh, and my Siberian Husky Kiko has not missed a trip either...Most of our trips have been across the country so I do get my 6-8 hours of driving/practice in a day. Im still not too good and almost panic on tight turns, especially if there is a car stopped at the light on the one lane road I am turning onto....Sways like crazy going down the mountains also. Doesnt matter if i tap the brakes, downshift & go slow, it's still a swayin'...

I'm a project manager for my familys union commercial construction business. I'm 36, single, with no kids & couldn't be happier. I travel the world with a few of my best friends who are also single & childless. When I'm not on an airplane, I use the camper to go to Nascar Races, NHRA dragraces, Bike Weeks ( if I do not ride there, which sometimes I do) & fishing trips to Northern Minnesota, Northern Wisconsin & Central/Northern Michigan.

Nice to meet everybody & look forward to running into you on the forumns!

KampinKari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4281145.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1336   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4270985.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Martinsville 2005 035.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1338   Click image for larger version

Name:	me at dega II.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1339  
KampinKari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #2

to FRF, It great to hear you are living life at it's fullest, and I bet you have alot of stories to tell.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Congrats on your rig and to FRF. We're glad your here. I'm sure some others will see you've mentioned about the swaying issue you are encountering. It sounds like you may need someone to look into that so nothing tragically occurs. There are a ton of campers here that can give you some advice of what to do. Be careful out there while you're traveling.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #4

Welcome to the forums. I am very familiar with Merrillville. We go through every time we visit my in-laws in Mt. Prospect, IL. The last few time we had to go through while they were rebuilding the I-65/I-80 interchanges. What a mess.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote