Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #1

Official hello from Tampa

I started posting on here a few weeks ago, but wanted to officially say "hello". My husband also posts on here, under a different name.

We will (hopefully on Saturday!) soon own a 2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306. Can't wait! We were tent campers that graduated to a used pop up while we found our bearings.

It will be the home away from home for us, our three kids (7, 9, and 10), and 2 Australian Shepherds. We typically camp wherever there is water, so we can kayak and dive/snorkel. We are weekend campers, and already have five trips planned before Fourth of July, from the Panhandle down to the Keys. Our favorite spots are in what is considered the "Nature Coast" of Florida. Just north of Tampa are various rivers and springs that are pure perfection for nature lovers.

My parents also own a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS, which they bought last year as their "retirement plan". They have taken it out a few times, but their first big trip will be to Yellowstone in a few weeks.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #2

If your DH posts under a different name I probably already welcomed him to the forum. This post is to welcome you to the forum and congrats on your 2013 Rockwood 2306.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to ShebaGinger
Welcome aboard from Orlando. We try to camp at a Florida State Park at least 1 week a month. Next trip is in April to Paynes Prairie. Hope to cross paths with you.
ShebaGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Just my opinion

Welcome from Orange City! Like Mike & Kris, we also camp at the Florida SP's. Just got back from Manatee Springs. We're skipping April (family yard sale). Going to Silver River & Blue Springs in May & June. Might just see you out and about during the year. Good luck with your new tt.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
2013 - days engaged in camping so for... (28)
normh915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #5

Howdy Norm & Phyliss

April is Paynes Prairie, May is Rainbow Springs, and June is Florida Caverns
Old 03-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Just my opinion

Hi Mike & Kris!

We went to Florida Caverns in January. Not on our list to repeat. Of course we didn't make it to the caverns area as Phyllis is claustrophobic. So kind of makes me wonder why we picked this park in the first place. Like I told her, I'd like to go back just so I can see the cavern. She can just read a good book while I'm gone exploring.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by normh915 View Post
Welcome from Orange City! Like Mike & Kris, we also camp at the Florida SP's. Just got back from Manatee Springs. We're skipping April (family yard sale). Going to Silver River & Blue Springs in May & June. Might just see you out and about during the year. Good luck with your new tt.
I want to paddle Silver River so badly!!! We've not made it yet... the couple times we've planned it we were rained out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaGinger View Post
Howdy Norm & Phyliss

April is Paynes Prairie, May is Rainbow Springs, and June is Florida Caverns
We're doing Caverns for Memorial Day weekend! Rainbow River in a couple of weeks for tubing. We love Rainbow River, for tubing and paddling, and go there often.

Quote:
Hi Mike & Kris!

We went to Florida Caverns in January. Not on our list to repeat. Of course we didn't make it to the caverns area as Phyllis is claustrophobic. So kind of makes me wonder why we picked this park in the first place. Like I told her, I'd like to go back just so I can see the cavern. She can just read a good book while I'm gone exploring.
Why not a repeat, just because you didn't do the caverns? We are stoked, the kids have never seen caves before. Growing up in the Midwest, I'm used to them.

previous owner of
Old 03-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #8

And my husband wants to try Blue Springs later this summer.

previous owner of
Old 03-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #9

Blue Spring is nice. We have camped there. We were at Collier-Seminole in early March. Just trying to wear the wheels off out TT.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Just my opinion

Rainbow river is on our list for next year. So far our favorite park is gold head & we're going there again in December the day after christmas.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #11

Collier-Seminole, Tomoka, Anastasia, Blue Spring, Kissimmee Prairie Preserve, Lake Kissimmee, Wekiwa Springs, Manatee Springs, and Lake Griffin. Trying to work our way through as many Fl. Sp. as possible
Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
Just my opinion

We going to Silver River, Blue Springs, Suwannee River, Highlands Hammock, trip to Missouri to see mother in law (she's 91 and still getting along quite well), Kissimmee Prarie Preserve, Faver Dykes, and now Gold Head.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #13

We have done Manatee Springs SP x 3 (loved it), Wekiva Springs SP x 1 (loved it), Hillsborough River SP X 2 (like it a lot), Oscar Scherer SP X 2 (like it - great location for beaches), Manatee River SP x 1 (Nice in winter), and Sebastian Inlet SP x 3 (my all time favorite) ~~ oh, and Alafia River SP x 1 (fine).

If you haven't been to Lake Kissimmee, we camped at Camp Mack once ~ hope you don't like sleep but love airboats
clancythecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #14

If you like Sebastian Inlet then go across the bridge to Long Point Park. It is a Brevard county park. The interior slots are full hook ups and the outer ones are on the water. You can launch your boat and pull it up to the camp slot. We have stayed there 3 times. Not a lot of shade but has boat launch and access to Indian River Lagoon
Old 03-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #15

Oooooooo!!! I love this kind of info Thank you!!!!!
clancythecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #16

You are very welcome.

During Hurricane Sandy they evacuated the campers at Sebastian to Long Point.

Oh and there is a very good restaurant and bait at the entrance to the park. My loves their eggs benedict with blackened Grouper.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #17
Just my opinion

For the most part, we're hikers. We liked the campground at Florida Caverns, but nothing really very interesting on the equestrian trail. But we've decided to leave the door open on this park until we've seen the cavern side. Manatee Springs is great for hiking, and we do have to go back as we didn't even cover a third of the trails there. We were at Gold Head in late Dec, early Jan and so far, this is still our favorite park. This one we plan on going back to in late Dec.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #18

We are hikers also. Love to get out in the woods and walk. We volunteer at the Orlando Wetlands which is part of the Great Florida Birding Trail so we are having to increase our knowledge of birds. We may work our way back to Manatee Springs but for now trying different parks to get an idea of what's there and share with others. We are on Facebook and m subscribe to several RV and Camping related groups. Let me know if you want the names of the groups.

We are looking forward to Paynes Prairie for the caverns and so we can go visit UF since my wife is a graduate and hasn't been back in years.

We try to spend one week a month camping and look forward to meeting others that may be at the same campground when we are there.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #19

Quote:
For the most part, we're hikers. We liked the campground at Florida Caverns, but nothing really very interesting on the equestrian trail. But we've decided to leave the door open on this park until we've seen the cavern side. Manatee Springs is great for hiking, and we do have to go back as we didn't even cover a third of the trails there. We were at Gold Head in late Dec, early Jan and so far, this is still our favorite park. This one we plan on going back to in late Dec.
We are kayakers first before hiking, but I enjoy hiking once in a while. Hillsborough River has nice trails, and we only live about 10 minutes from there. It's absolutely amazing to float along and just listen and know that you are seeing a part of the world that not everyone gets to see.

I love our state parks!

previous owner of
Old 03-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #20

we like kayaking also. Just trying to decide what kind to get. Love the state parks and seeing nature at its best