Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #1

Ordered Sunseeker 2300

Been camping all my life, started in a tent, had a vw camper in the 60's, married in the 70's, 3 trailers til now. Ordered a Sunseeker 2300 on the Chevy Workhorse chasse March 5, told to expect delivery in late April. Didn't want the complexity of a slide out. The Solera, View, etc beds too small, and too little storage, and the overall cargo carrying capacity is too small. We specifically wanted a class C under 25 feet. Don't intend to ever tow a vehicle behind it, so the Ford made no sense. The Chevy cockpit is roomier- with the engine not protruding into that space like the Ford. Unit is slightly longer base, and heck, I'm a GM guy to begin with.

Heading down to Grand Banks in early May, maiden voyage. Followed by Memorial Day weekend at Lilly Bay on Moosehead Lake in Maine, Moosalamoo in Ripton VT 4th of July, Natasquan, Quebec and Gaspe late September to mid October. The Misses and our 3 dogs. I feel like a kid.
THarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like you figured out what you really needed & wanted and got it. While slide outs are supposed to be easy, select an unit without slides is one less thing to maintain or worry about (reason I opted for an unit without).

Have fun on your upcoming maiden voyage!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #3

& Congratulations on the new MH!!!

Many happy miles to you!
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #4

to the forum and congratulations!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
to the forum and congratulations!
X2!! Enjoy!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #6

I ordered the same unit on March 18! Love that model. I did all my research and decided it was just what I needed. Can't wait for my delivery, too. Mine will probably be Mid-May and will be making a trip to New Hampshire. Maybe I'll see you in New England!
janegraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #7

Having looked at 5 different brands of 24 footish, non slide class c's, we're impressed that the Sunseeker 2300 had the most storage, best kitchen (microwave and std oven), real bed for 2, and best mpg (chevy chasse) of the lot. Have toyed with flying to Elkhart to pick it up, but probably won't take the time off from work.

Did you go with the chevy or the ford chasse?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #8

Chevy as well. Went through rvdirect. Hope this wasn't a mistake.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #9

There are many happy RVer's with their choice of RVDirect. I printed out their offer and handed it to a local Forest River dealership (Long View RV in Windsor, CT). They virtually accepted the price as presented, my bonus being that they are an authorized service center as well, the largest in Connecticut. They have been providing good communications so far, but not much to hear really until the unit comes off the assembly line. I sure hope they are accurate with their completion/delivery projections. Never having gone through this ordering process previously, I'm a little nervous as to their accuracy in delivery dates. And of course we've made plans to meet up with family on the Grand Banks in early May.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #10

Any dealer I took the offer to said there was no way they could meet it. Said it was below what they paid. Also, I have no local dealer, so it didn't matter whether I went for a dealer or not. My closest Forest River dealer is over 3 hours in a direction I don't usually travel.

Overall, I am very excited to join the RV community. I travel north to visit family 5 times a year, so I am hoping that having my little home away from home will make my visits more relaxing. Also, it is a good test to see if this lifestyle suits me for retirement in 8 years from now.

As for delivery projections, it would be really nice to have it before the Memorial Day weekend, but if they don't make the deadline, it is no big deal for me. I'm hoping for some spur of the moment weekend trips to the beach this summer. I don't know how it works out if you just show up without reservations, but I just don't like planning ahead.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #11

We're likely to retire this year. We've taken our 3 dogs to Canada each fall for a few weeks for many years. We've had trailers for the past 25 years, now our first motorized since I had a VW Camper van back in the 60's. The Maritimes, Gaspe and Cape Breton are places to visit that you'll never forget. And fresh seafood available all along the way! We pack a charcoal grill and make the most of the cooking.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #12

Sounds like a dream life to me. North East Seafood is the Best!