Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2023, 11:57 AM   #1

Outside burner too weak/not propane issue

Wondering if my outside pullout burner can be replaced with one that burns hotter. It takes way to long to cook anything on even on High/Max settings.
Aggies in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:17 PM   #2

Some propane lines have ball valves hidden underneath or visually obstructed from easy view. Could it be partially open??
Do any other appliances hooked up to this outlet also run slow (stove) or dark (lantern)??

Cheers and greetings from a Toronto Canuck
Brandoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:43 PM   #3

Thanks.
I purchase another small cooktop and connected to the RV it does well. I'm just thinking the factory burner does not have the capacity to burn hot. I could be wrong but when researching other burners they always talked about the ability of the burner to boil water quickly. I guess as some sort of measure of their pressure. This one will not do it quickly.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:17 PM   #4

Déjà vu (seems I've seen this question before)?

Your burner is limited by the gas pressure. Should have a data tag listing the BTUs. Small ones seem to run maybe 6500 BTU. My indoor stove main burner is 9,000 BTU and non to fast boiling a big pot -- note this stove is also fed by low pressure gas. Beginning to see a trend? Those driven directly off 20# propane cylinders like you see at fairs and events can put out as much as 30,000 BTU!

-- Chuck
Old 03-29-2023, 01:24 PM   #5

So, I wonder if the outside burner can be upgraded, changed out for one that will run a higher BTU?
Old 03-29-2023, 02:18 PM   #6

2 Propane pressure reducers??

So question?? If you hook your stove directly to a propane tank does it take less time to, say, bring water to a boil??

The propane appliance quick connect hookup at the side of your trailer is low pressure already . . . Where the RV propane tanks are mounted and you connect the pig-tail there you have a propane pressure regulator also there (Propane at 11" water)

A coleman propane stove has a pressure regulator built into the silver tube (also 11" propane supply) you connect to the side of the stove. This type of stove will not run from the appliance hookup quick connect. If you try there are now two pressure reducers in the total propane supply and not enough propane gets past both reducers to where the gas burns. Could this be the slow heating that you are describing??

Are photos of your setup with all stoves available to share here??

Old 03-29-2023, 02:35 PM   #7

Maybe. I really would like to just replace the factory burner that it attached to the pull out tray of my "outdoor kitchen". However, if it's that dialed down then no matter what kind I have there it will operate the same way. I was just wanting it to cook faster/hotter. I purchased a really nice Camp Chef that I attached to a separate propane tank for most of my cooking. Was hoping to utilize what I have in place as well.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies in Texas View Post
Maybe. I really would like to just replace the factory burner that it attached to the pull out tray of my "outdoor kitchen". However, if it's that dialed down then no matter what kind I have there it will operate the same way. I was just wanting it to cook faster/hotter. I purchased a really nice Camp Chef that I attached to a separate propane tank for most of my cooking. Was hoping to utilize what I have in place as well.
Use your Camp Chef hooked directly to the quick-connect. Don't use the 2nd propane reducer.

Tags
burner, propane