Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #1

Pick Up Day Disaster - Need Advise

We were supposed to pick up out new 2012 Rockwood yesterday (Sat) at RV Wholesalers after driving 1200 miles from FLorida. Was told by RVW on Thursday (the day we left Florida) the trailer was "ready". Y-day at pickup we found out the trailer had a 8 inch crack/hole in the roof because they "hit a bird" bringing it back from the MFGer. Come to find out the trailer was not received at RVW until Friday evening, even though I was told it was ready before leaving FL. This I hold RVW responsible for. To make matters worse Forest River installed the wrong interior. Works orders were correct from RVW. This I hold FR responsible for.

So now we are heading back to FLorida with no trailer, no return of my deposit, 900.00 in expenses with nothing to show for it, and crying wife. How would you all handle this? Can anyone provide a contact/number at FR? ANY ADVISE?

TJ, Paula, and Mickey the wonder dog
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crew Cab
TJfromfL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

TJ - I am so sorry to hear this happened to you so close to the beginning of the season. Of course you're in FL but still ...

When did they say they can get you the correct trailer? Another 8 weeks? Here are some thoughts.

Can the manufacturer put you at the head of the line? RVW should be trying to do this on your behalf. Talk to the manager or owners of RVW.

Check your contract if you are interested in cancelling. Our dealer's contract states ...
If the recreational vehicle ordered by the purchaser is not available for delivery by the dealer within 15 calendar days after the anticipated delivery date, the purchaser may cancel this order. The purchaser shall receive a full refund of any down payment, and return of the trade-in, or title for the trade-in, or both by the close of the dealer's next business day. If the trade-in has been sold, the purchaser shall receive the trade-in allowance specified in the order.

Good luck and share with us what happens.

Again, sorry this is happening. Its a nightmare and I'm not sure what I would do.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #3

Triguy, at this point nothing has been offered. Seems Saturday is a bad day to pick up a trailer at RVW, no managers or owners present. I was told to "come back Monday" can you believe that!!!!!!! There is much more to this story, I just dont want to sound like a long winded crybaby.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #4

Tjfromfl, really hate to hear that- most folks on here have pretty good results from RVW, but there are a few that do have troubles. Your problem however seems pretty extreme, though. I believe if it was me, I would be contacting a lawyer, and at the very least get some advice from them. And, as Triguy states, there are contract protections in the fine print- if that is what it comes down to. F.R. factory reps should contact you and assure the proper channels will be followed in your situation, and RVW should have at the very least looked at your camper first, to be sure things were "as ordered". Also, I think you should recieve an additional discount for all of this, and a return of your travel expenses, at the very least. This is why I bought from a local dealer, the unit was on their lot for me to actually see and take home within a few days, and I could deal with any and all problems directly with them. I know you get a substantial savings from ordering a trailer, but there are SO MANY things that can happen in the deal that the savings are really not that great in the long run. Sorry, I know you don't want to hear that, but that's my opinion. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
traveler

So Tj from Florida, hows it going now. Are you on the road with a new TT. How did this story end.

"We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
Pico Iyer
reinreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #6

I would cancel the order. Buy it from Tropical RV in Ft Pierce. I just bought my Rockwood and got it within 4 weeks of my order. A friend just went to see them last week and the are buying a new Roo. Expected delivery is two weeks. They are great there with both service and price. See Jim or Dane. Tell them Angel sent you.
Rockwoodmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #7

Rienreb, this just happened y-day. I am in Tennessee now, heading back to florida empty handed and out considerable dollars. I have no vacation time left so going back to Ohio is out of the question. Dont know where this is going from here, will start making calls on Monday.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #8

TJfromfL, if you are able to cancel the order I would second rockwoodmiami suggestion's, give Tropical RV Florida RV Dealers, FL RV Dealership, Used RV, New RV, Travel Trailer, Fifth Wheel, Popup campers - Tropical RV Sales - Tropical RV Sales a call. They have had good reviews from all that have dealt with them, http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-fl-10449.html and http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rce-12804.html

Hope all turns out well!
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #9

When I had a similar situation, going to another dealer ended up being a blessing. I found a great dealership, got an awesome price and have been treated like a great customer ever since.

Best of luck....
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #10

If you keep the deal with RVW they should deliver the TT to you in FL. at their expence. Hope everything works out for you.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #11

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
I know its hassle....I would ask for new camper plus an extra discount from your original quote and have them deliver it to your home in Florida for free also,(since they do have home delivery) to compensate your travel loss/vacation time/added wait time for new camper. I would be very upset too, but I would say the owners, the Darnell's are very nice people...ask to talk to Dave Darnell (co-owner). Im sure they will compensate you in some way !! They also could jump your camper order up on a spot from a pre-order because they are always ordering Rockwood trailers. They did that for us and we didnt even ask them too,we recieved our camper sooner than normal. As I say on monday call there regular 800 number and ask for Dave Darnell and explain your situation !! Hopefully everything will turn out ok !!

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #12

You can make additional deals with rvw. We had to. Our new camper was late being delivered on the same day we were to pick up, also after being told it was in. As this was the only problem, we had them throw in a few additional items. In your case, I agree with above. They need to reimburse you for your travel expense, since they obviously lied about delivery. Good luck in the future, no matter what your decision.
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #13

google forest river problems for your camper you should find some numbers that way. Sounds like rvw to me. Good luck with them,i had to get factory to take care of my problems.
blinville66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #14

I agree with most; RVW should reimburse you for your expenses, deliver your new TT to you in Florida, AND in addition, compensate you for your loss of vacation time - time IS money. They should also expedite your new TT and if they cannot; then cancel the order and go to a local dealer; they may have what you want on their lot, or close to it. I am so sorry this happened to you; that was a major concern of mine also, that's why we went to a local dealer. Good luck; I hope everything works out for you.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
Gary and Pam

If you do have to cancel then used the RVW price to have your local dealer match the price. My local dealer matched the price to keep me with them.
Nights camped 2010-20 2011-26 2012-22

GSF63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #16

I am hoping that FR & RVW will make things right and I will give them that opportunity. I agree that I should expect a tt delivered to me. Will find out more tomorrow. I will keep you posted as this saga continues.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #17

Here is what I would do before you call them so you have something to go with - write down everything you saw wrong so you can get your points across to them -

The more documentation you have and keeping your cool on the phone might get you better results - I personally wouldnt put the lawyer comment out there until they pretty much flat out tell you they arent going to do anything

I would also point out the fact about driving from Florida to pick it up and the fact that you drove back to Florida without your camper since it had been hit by something causing it to have a 8 inch crack / hole which would be covered under the delivery service not the manufacture unless the damage was caused by or at the factory.

The wrong interior is a factory goof up unless RVW ordered the wrong interior in the first place or it was someone else's camper they were trying to pawn off on you since it had been hit.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how it turns out tommorow - as I say try not to loose your cool and keep the pressure on them and put the blame on them so they take care of "you"
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #18

I personally don't see any dealer "matching the price"quoted from RVW, but a discount and delivery should be included. After all, that IS the reason people buy direct from them. The dealers have to make money, or they would not be selling campers. After all, it's not their fault you bypassed the middleman(them) to buy your rig. I do agree that RVW screwed up royally though, and you deserve to be compensated. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #19
Wanna Be Camper

Good luck wtih your troubles, keep your cool and explain it all and see where it goes.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #20

Thank you to all who have responded. Quite a way to join the ranks huh. As far a being mad, this was more like a shock, we just couldnt beleive it was happening. Anger has yet to set in. Well, we are in south georgia now and will be home mid day tomorrow. Hopefully things will turn around for us soon.

Thank you all again