Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #1

picking up new rv tomorrow: what other stuff do i need to buy?

Hello! I am new to rv ownership, I have never been camping in one - but we pick up our new 2013 Salem Cruise Lite tomorrow. The van is at the rv dealer getting a receiving hitch and everything else it needs to tow today.

As we were leaving they mentioned that we will need hoses, chemicals and other stuff - this threw me off. I did not know we needed to buy more stuff. My question is this, what do we really need? I am trying to avoid them talking us into getting a bunch of stuff we don't actually need.

Thank you!
FishingChiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new 2013 Salem Cruise Lite.
You'll need a water pressure regulator, white water hose, wheel chocks, rug to put down by door, hose to dump tanks. I would add screens for furnace exhaust, water heater and fridge vents to keep bugs from building nests. I recommend a cover for any roof vents too. Bring some pressure treated 2X6 boards for leveling on site. Bring a level too as your fridge operates best when level. 4 more PT 2X6's about 8" long to put under stabilizer jacks. Spare fuses, bulds, volt meter. There's more that others will recommend, but I gotta run.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Resident Masshole

Welcome to the forum! I am new to this myself. The RV dealer did give us a 'welcome kit' with a few things, but I ended up buying a better septic hose, chemicals for the black/gray tanks, water hose, foot mats for the stairs, a surge protector, a vent cover for the roof (to go over the front Miracle Fan...may or may not apply to you), heater exhaust screen, and one or two other little things. Except for the vent cover, it was all necessary stuff IMHO.

And in the weeks since, I've bought or made other modifications.

In hindsight, I wish I also bought that set of folding rocking chairs...
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #4

I would think that they would give you a starter kit. Sometimes comes in a bucket. It would have a sewer hose, chemical of some kind,toilet paper, and some times a power cord adaptor. Most of them come as a kit for around $40-$50. Like I said I always got the starter kit.
minnranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #5

All of the above mentioned for the necessary things are dead on. As far as the rest. We have gotten some really good deals on "stuff we wanted" from craigslist, fleamarket ect.... Found a set of those rocking folding chairs brand new, $20 bucks each. Some people on there just want it out of their sight. got a folding hammock at sports authority scratch and dent, normally $159 got it for $80 because get this , it was missing a 3 dollar air pillow? Now I personally would not buy an item like this, but the wife wanted it so a happy wife is a happy life, plus its actually pretty dang comfy
once you go camping a few times you'll see thing you'd like to change/add/modify ect. Keep a list and then shop it to save money.

Congrats and safes travels
Having A Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Congrats on the Cruise Lite trailer! Which unit did you select?

As for your question - when will you be camping? If not right away, wait and see what is in the starter kit. Many of us did upgrade the items pretty quick but some kits have better stuff than others. Sounds like this is a new unit so you won't need chemicals until you are ready to camp. Once you start using the systems I would recommend adding the chemicals after dumping the black tank & before leaving camp.

PS
Walmart carries some RV items usually at a lower price than the dealer or RV store but it's a personal choice. Sometimes there are more choices at Camping World but that place can break the bank so I would recommend doing some price comparing.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
One Happy Camper!

X2 on Walmart. I just bought a bunch of stuff there today for my trailer. Dealerships typically charge too much for these items. Also, there are some necessity items (water, sewer hoses, chemicals or your own home brew for the holding tanks. search geo method), but some camping items seem like something you need, but you will never use. When we first started camping over 10 years ago we bought all kinds of novelty items and just today I moved them to our new (3rd) trailer and they are still in the original packaging unopened. When you camp for the first time, ask your neighbors for advice or ask on here.

Congratulations on the new camper!

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #8

Some important info on the "sanitary system", one in print, one visual. Pay attention!

YouTube

RV Holding Tank Tips 101 - RV UNIVERSITY
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #9

thank you for the advice!

I don't remember the exact model, but it is 20 ft long and has a bunk house. Our first camping trip is tentatively scheduled for 2 weeks out.

Unfortunately on the way to the rv dealer, I got called into work. So my husband and son took a video of the walkthrough, which I am just about to watch. He bought just the necessities, hoses and etc. I've made a list of what was mentioned here, especially the vent covers and will check into getting those.

Thank you so much for all of the advice!
FishingChiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #10

I would also purchase a 50 foot power cord extension and amperage adapters
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote