Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #1

Question from a first time owner

We are picking up our trailer Saturday and planning on camping next week. We are first timers. Do we need to have special soap, bathoom cleaner, toilet paper etc? What are some must haves for your trailer? What are some things you didn't know and wish you did when your first for your trailer? Any files or already started threads with this info?
Kaboingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #2

Question from a first time owner

Toilet paper is quick dissolve. Get it at Wally World in the rv section.

The list of other items does get a bit long. I always start out with fuses. There are many threads on this topic.

Camp in your driveway for a weekend and you will figure out a lot of items right away.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=19976

And congrats- have fun!

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
Site Team

Note pad and pen for all the things you do forget and want to remember next time.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:41 PM   #4

Means to change flat tire. Basic hand tools come in handy.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboingy View Post
We are picking up our trailer Saturday and planning on camping next week. We are first timers. Do we need to have special soap, bathoom cleaner, toilet paper etc? What are some must haves for your trailer? What are some things you didn't know and wish you did when your first for your trailer? Any files or already started threads with this info?
They recommend special toilet paper. You can get it in the RV section at Wal-Mart (or on Amazon, Camping World, etc) You don't have to use special soap for baths or dishes. We use bleach wipes to clean our bathroom.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:34 PM   #6

Scott 1000 sheet roll is quick dissolve and less expensive. We used our regular soaps and shampoos in the shower.

Tank deodorant (not that natural junk) is a must to keep the black water tank from stinking you out of your new toy. An RV potable water hose and a sewer hose (the Rhino kit is best as it comes complete) with a sewer hose support of some sort to hold the hose. Be sure to get a water pressure regulator (or two) so you don't blow up you new hose.

I also have Lynx Levelers to level the trailer and provide support for the stabilizer jacks. Others here use other methods.

I also carry tire changing tools with a 1/2 inch lug wrench and a big torque wrench to make sure the lug nuts are properly tightened (and remain so while traveling). I have sockets and the equivalent box-end wrenches to make adjustments to my hitch or other things. Get a 1-1/16" socket to remove the drain plug for your water heater and to change the anode rod (attached to the drain plug).

A portable air pump that plugs into your vehicle power jack. Lately, I have taken to carrying a portable power pack with a compressor for airing up soft spare tries or keeping those trailer tires properly inflated (it is more convenient than a small compressor but weighs more).

I would also find some plastic storage trays with lids from Walmart for keeping parts together. I use a Stanley modular stackable tool box. It fits perfectly in storage bay in my trailer and it easy to remove when needed; it keeps all my tools together in a convenient place.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #7
Site Team

X2 on spare fuses and also camping in the driveway which helps to refresh your memory. You going to end up with a long list of suggestions but some stuff often can wait until you determine your camping style.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:58 PM   #8

RE: Toilet Paper. Just use what you use at home and treat your tanks (gray & black) with a mixture of equal parts:
Water
Superclean (get at Amazon and some Wally Worlds
Liquid Calgon
Pine Sol

Put 4-6 OZ of this mixture, and 2 or so GAL Water in your black tank when empty. (Just put 4 or so OZ in your gray tank, no extra water needed.

Remember, in your black tank, water is your BESTEST friend

Also, NEVER leave your black tank open or dump your black tank until it is at least 2/3 (or more) full.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time