Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2020, 07:53 AM   #1

Retired DoD

Thanks for welcoming me. My name is J. I’m a medically retired United States Marine. Just picked up a new used 2017 wolf pup 16bhs. As a first time trailer owner, I will be looking for tips and tricks. I live in this camper and am preparing for an Oregon winter!! Again, thank you and I look forward to learning!
TripLander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
Campaholic

Welcome to the forum from Winnipeg, Manitoba
Greg.miranda.travels
Fun finders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum and the world of RVing. Thanks for your service. Enjoy and Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripLander View Post
I live in this camper and am preparing for an Oregon winter!!
I have no idea how you prepare for living in a rig in an Oregon winter! You probably need to check with the local full timers and see what they recommend.

Congratulations on your purchase, thank you for your service and welcome to the forum from Texas!
Old 10-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for welcoming me. My name is J. I’m a medically retired United States Marine. Just picked up a new used 2017 wolf pup 16bhs. As a first time trailer owner, I will be looking for tips and tricks. I live in this camper and am preparing for an Oregon winter!! Again, thank you and I look forward to learning!
Hi from a retired USAF member, do you know about this?
https://www.militarycampgrounds.us/milcamps
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum from New Jersey
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:52 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum where there's a wealth of knowledge and information on here from Central NC.
A Big Thank you for your service Sir!!
Old 10-13-2020, 08:58 PM   #8

We survived the 2016 Idaho winter in our 25-ft Class-C at an RV Park with full hook-up while we waited for our new home to be built. I'll share here what we did: In summary, we ordered propane service, skirted the RV underside, night-time insulated the windows & vents, put fluffy throw-rugs on the floor, added heat-tape & insulation to our city-water hose, put a small electric heater in our basement & and opened air-access to our water pump and back-side of city-water intake area. We also supplement interior heat with an electric heater (used mostly at night) and had a (propane) Mr. Heater with an extra 20-lb tank for emergency.
  • Propane Service: Setup a temporary account with a local propane supplier. They can deliver and connect a larger propane tank and provide periodic fills. The deposits are refunded and even with tank rental, the overall cost is much less than your cost to refill smaller tanks. The huge bonus is never worry about running out.
  • Skirt your Mobile Palace: The RV Park may have rules for this, but the idea is to add skirting around your trailer to prevent air-flow under the RV (dead air space). We used 1-inch foam board insulation. This material is available in 4ftx8ft sheet and cuts easily with a knife. We used duct tape to close the seams and connect it to our RV. This material is very inexpensive and easily forms to many applications.
  • Night-Time Insulation over Windows & Vents: Vent Pillows, available at any RV shop, simply plug into your ceiling vents and stop night-time heat loss. We used “Reflective Roll Insulation” (silver bubble wrap) to cover all of the windows at night. This material is cheap and cuts easily to any shape to quickly create custom window insulation. It can also be variously used to add insulation stuffing as might be needed (such as wrapping waste drains).
  • Fluffy Throw-Rugs: Avoid walking on a cold floor.
  • Heat-Tape & Insulation: Insulated water hose is expensive. An alternative is to run a length of heat-tape along your hose and cover it with foam pipe insulation, seal the seal with duct tape. An little extra length with the heat tape can add a little extra heat around water-intake and hose bibs.
  • Small Electric Basement Heater: Many folks use an incandescent lamp for this. It may not even be necessary for you. In our case, however, I was able to remove a small panel from our basement and open access to our water pump and to the back-side of the city-water intake, so the small heater kept those item above freezing.
  • Interior Portable Electric Heater: Sometime you just want some radiant heat that is quite ... especially at night.
  • Mr. Heater for emergency: You're a Marine … no need to explain this one.
Also useful:
  • Paper Towels & DampRid: Propane gas actually contains a lot of water. Your Palace heater is vented so the heat comes inside and the moisture goes outside. However, stove cooking creates a lot of excess moisture inside the Palace, particularly where it condensates on the windows. A few extra rolls of paper towels is very handy for keeping this cleaned up. You might also consider “DampRid” moisture absorber as a method for helping control some of this excess.
  • Snow and Ice Duct Tape: Special tape that works at freezing temperatures (important for exterior emergency use).
  • RV Antifreeze: Depending on temperature and waste tank configurations, you may want to add a half-gallon or so to your empty waste tanks.
  • Keep you Ingress/Egress Clean: To avoid too much work at any one time, it might also be wise to keep the snow & ice cleared from your immediate walking area
  • Waste Drain: One final point, during freezing weather, close your sewer drain and run your sewer extension drain so that no liquid is retained in the line after dumping. You do not want an ice blockage in this line. Do not leave your sewer drain open, but rather allow your tanks to nearly fill, then dump.
In closing, I hope I didn't overwhelm you with too much. The list is a bit lengthy, but not really expensive. We were comfortable all winter and had no serious problems. Good luck, hope you have an enjoyable winter.
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:15 PM   #9

Semper fi jawhead, ive been rving for 20 (+) years, drop me a note if you need anything...
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:40 PM   #10

Welcome TripLander from Eastern OR. Don't know what part of OR you are in, but hope you've made contact with a couple other devil dogs who can give you some pointers for that area. Our climates are so diverse here. Good luck and PM if you want.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:27 AM   #11

Smile Welcome from California

Quote:
Welcome Triplander to the forums. As others have already stated, Thank You Sooooo much for your service and sacrifice. There aren't enough words to express all that the people in this country owe to those of you who have given this country its freedom and preserved it for over two centuries.

As stated, we are from California, 72 years for me and 70 for the DW (that's Dear Wife, you'll see a lot of abbreviations in the forums and if you can't figure one out, just ask, that's how the rest of us learned them!)

We have relatives in Oregon, my brother lives in Albany, Wife's youngest son lives in Portland and her 97 yr old step-mom lives in Medford. My Dad and Step Mom are buried at Newport, on the coast.

Oregon is a very diverse state, hence a large part of it's allure. If you could give us an idea of where you are settling, you could get back more details about what to prepare for. Some places you don' need to get to involved and some areas will call for even more in the way of preparation.

Again, Welcome to the group and thanks for your service.

Paul & Sherida

Paul & Sherida Hodel and Coco Chanel, the Chocolate Cockapoo and the family's prized possession!
New TT: 2021 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS, 570 watts of solar + 300 AH of Battle Borne lithium batteries.
TV: 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
GrandpaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #12

Hey brother thanks! Also, I’m living in this Wolfpup so I wanna put it on Jack stands. I just need to know what size I should get the stands. I’m thinking 2ton x 4?
TripLander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:11 PM   #13

Lightbulb Jacks for pup

Hi J, good to hear back from you!
As for the jacks, if you already have stabilizers front and rear on your Pup, they should handle the job. As the name implies, they are designed for stabilizing the trailer so it doesn't bounce and wiggle, so just make sure they are keeping the trailer still and not trying to lift it or sometimes things get out of whack. If you don't have stabilizers, then the jack stands you cited should work, or you could use both if you are in a snow area and are more comfortable with a little extra.
The job of actually bearing the weight is on the front jack and the tires. With you staying in one place, make sure you have good blocks under everything so things aren't so likely to settle as the weather gets wetter. Also make sure the tires are well chocked, don't want the Pup rocking fore and aft on you.
Remember that the awning is great for shade, but it doesn't hold up very long to wind and rain, so roll it in if the weather acts threatening. (Don't ask how I know this! )
Just surfing through the various threads in the forums will bring up a number of things to be aware of as well as thing others have done. Most things aren't limited to just one brand or type of RV, so check out other have said in the non Forest Rivers threads as well.
Keep us in the loop as how things are working out for you.
The very best to you my friend, Paul

Paul & Sherida Hodel and Coco Chanel, the Chocolate Cockapoo and the family's prized possession!
New TT: 2021 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS, 570 watts of solar + 300 AH of Battle Borne lithium batteries.
TV: 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
GrandpaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:00 PM   #14

What ever you do, do NOT put those stands under the axle! They are not made to stand the weight.

And because I didn't say so earlier: Thank you for your service. Respect.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #15

Welcome, welcome.
Search through this forum for modifications and fixes for Wolf Pups. Lots of wasted space the way areas are blocked off for appearance.
I’ve read where some have placed foam exercise pads on the bed platform over storage areas for extra warmth and padding.
Mattresses suck. Get a Zinus short/RV queen mattress from Amazon for a great price.
Electric jack is on sale for $70 at Rural King if you have one near.
The rear left stabilizer is moved near the wheel to clear the black tank. I always add an aluminum screw jack stabilizer under the frame at the Left rear For much more stability.
I have the 2019 16BHS. PM me any questions about my experiences.
Most recent mod was I removed the upper bunk. It was a PITA getting some of the screws out and required rerouting thermostat wiring. Added a clothes rod up high in that area. Made the lower bunk adult friendly, good sit down area away from windows for dressing. Also got a Zinus RV bunk mattress for there.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire