Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #1

Rockwood 2604

My question concerns the "water filter" (WaterPur filter) in my 2010 2604. How long will the filter last? We DO NOT ever use the water for drinking purposes (we bring bottle water with us) so do I really need a filter? What harm would it be to run the water with no filter installed?
bwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #2

I don't use the filter at camp grounds. Now that I have said that, some places I should use a filter cause the water has a bad taste, and is loaded with iron.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #3

We don't use the water for drinking purposes either. I have never put the filter in the housing in our Flagstaff, which is the 26 RKS (twin of the now discontinued Rockwood 2605). It won't hurt anything to leave the filter out. Be sure the housing is attached and tight because it will fill up with water.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the prompt reply. I don't think I will use the filter either, as I always hook up a filter to the outside water hose (going into the trailer). I buy the one from Wal-Mart that cost about $18 and it will last me the entire summer, and since we don't drink the campsite water (we bring our on) then really we don't need the filter that came with the trailer.
bwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know the probability, but the possibility would be there that sediment (that would normally be filtered out) would stop up you faucet screens, and also ruin your sink washers.....both easily fixed.

It is interesting that some don't drink the water from the city water or fresh water supply......we do. I am a stickler for safe water, and take all of the precautions.........like wiping down or sterilizing the campground faucet before hookup, and sterilizing my fresh water tank at least once a year. But I have always wondered about the water quality at campgrounds.....hopefully it is state regulated, somehow. I know a forest ranger that regularly tests the water in a frequented campground in the Shenandoah mountains, so I feel that is relatively safe. But what about the mom and pop operations around our great country. The positive side of that type of operation would be the knowledge that if a massive illness due to contaminated water were discovered, then their business would be busted....so they have that priority to keep things nice and safe.

We use both the inline filter at the faucet and the on-board water filter......figure it can't hurt.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #6

The water supply at our seasonal site comes from wells, the water go's into a water treatment then out to the sites. We never drank the water until last year, my wife found this devise that you poor water into and it filters over a short time and it has elimanated most of the strange taste from the treatment. I don't remember the name of it but I well come back with that info.....Now with the use of the white drinking hoses....hopefully that is what everyone is using.....something to think about, I have watch people when they are packing up from camping they will unhook there drinking hoses from there site and roll them up and as they are doing that the access water is rolling out of the opposit end and that is good, but then once the hose is rolled up they scure both ends together, now I don't know for sure but with the left over water that is in the hose and stored over time in the heat of the Summer or even in storage in the Winter if this can cause contamination with in the hose. This may be some thing a lot of people forget to do is to let the hose dry out. This brings a question to mine, how often should the white drinking hose be replaced?
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #7

You probably have a Britta or PUR water filter system. We use one at home for drinking water. It filters out all of the bad taste we get from the tap water, particularly when the city pulls it from the James River.

For camping we get two or three gallons of water from Kroger at about 75 cents per gallon for coffee or tea making and use bottled water for drinking. We have found that drinking the water from the trailer system just doesn't taste good even after sanitizing the system so we don't use it for drinking purposes. As for the white hose, I send some of the chlorine solution through it when sanitizing the whole system.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Grape Escape

I removed our filter altogether as we don't drink from campgrounds and also saves filling canister with antifreeze when winterizing
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
As for the white hose, I send some of the chlorine solution through it when sanitizing the whole system.
I thought I was the only person that did that sort of thing !!!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I thought I was the only person that did that sort of thing !!!
I have done the same thing the past 3 or 4 years. I also place all my water conections, elbow, water regulator, etc... in a plastic container with bleach water. Let it soak a couple of hours, dry and then store them in the container.

I do use the filter and use the water for all cleaning as well as brushing our teeth but usually have bottled water for drinking.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags