Old 02-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
msc

Rockwood Hardside series

Hi am new. Sngle mom from So. Cal. Looking to purchase an Aframe to camp with my 5 and 8yr old girls. Sometimes a friend may tagalong. What are the the Rockwood hardside A122, 126,128 like? I have seen the Aliner and Chalet any major difference beside price? I have a 2011 Honda Pilot can it handle the towing?
Ruth
msc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums. I can't help you with your question, but I'm sure you will get your answers here.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Site Team

does your Pilot have the factory tow package?
if not, it will be expensive to duplicate.
a Pilot can tow them but depends on how it's equipped.

all of them will weigh around 2000lbs. on the lot.

since these are new this year, from FR, there isn't a lot of feedback yet. but from what i've read, most feel that they are a bargain compared to Chalet and Aliner and are almost as well built.
i looked at one and was very impressed.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #4

Rockwood vs Aliner vs Chalet

One definite difference of course is price. Another key feature I believe is standard in the Rockwood, as opposed to the others, is a high wall which makes the camper seem more spacious. The Aliner offers this as an option as does Chalet, if I'm not mistaken, but adds to the already high price. I have compared what features the A122 offers to comparable Aliners and Chalets, and I would have paid upwards of $5000 more for the others. My husband and I went to the camping shows and studied the Aliners and the Rockwoods and we were very impressed with the Rockwoods.
earthgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #5

We are thinking of trading our aliner sport for a rockwood a122. We love the aliner, but could use a bit more room. The bed with a mattress looks good to us. As the aliner cushions are not comfortable, and we have to always put the dinette up and down, which can be a real pain. The man that maintains are rvs, says that the rockwood is better built, and cheaper than the aliner. It also has more standard features. My only worry is that we are adding about 500 pounds to our towing weight. I would really like to hear from anyone else that has purchased a hardside how they are getting along with it.
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #6

All I can say is that the A122 pulls like a dream and comes equipped with electric brakes for added safety. We pulled ours home from the dealer (which was 1-1/2 hours away) without the electric brake hooked up, in a rainstorm, and it followed behind the vehicle perfectly.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #7

We have had our A122 for several months now and are happy with it so far. I believe this unit would be perfect for you and two little ones since it is so easy to set up. I don't know the towing capacity of your vehicle but the Pilot should be able to handle the 3000 lb trailer and 350 lb tongue weight. Your owners manual will be able to answer that question. Your Rockwood dealer should be able to get your vehicle ready (brake controller and hitch) but it may not be the cheapest place to get that done.
toleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #8

We will be pulling ours with a jeep 4 door wrangler. Is anyone else pulling with a jeep and what are you experiencing
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #9

Pulling with an Escape

We just pulled our A122 from Florida to the Smokys and back with our Ford Escape. Never a problem. Most of the time we didn't even know it was there.
bill8972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #10

Msc - can't give you any experience yet as we just purchased our A128. The one thing I want to mention is for you to make sure you can lift the left side up to set up the camper. I didn't think I was a weakling, but I have trouble lifting it up by myself. Taking it down - no problem. And I was torn between the 122 & 128. I had a tt with a permanent bed so I thought I would want the Rockwood with the bed. Instead, I opted for the double dinette. I do plan to leave the back dinette as a bed, but I have the option of setting up the 2nd table and having more floor space. Just thinking about if we got stuck inside for a while due to rain, we would have more space. Everybody has their own needs. I hope to take mine out for it's initial trip next weekend (if the weather will cool down a bit). And I also agree with Earthgirl - if I had bought a comparable Aliner, I would have paid thousands more. Hope you find one that makes you happy!
gsocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #11

I think if raising the roof by lifting the left side is too difficult, try starting the process by lifting the right side. After most of the weight is off the left panel, finish the process using the now lighter left side.
toleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #12

(Sorry for resurrecting a slightly dated thread)

@Laura June: I pulled my new A126 home with my 2 Door 2011 Sahara. The 2 door is rated for 2000 lbs tow, 200lbs tongue. I was a bit worried about the extra tongue weight but it towed great home (about an hour home on highways, avoided interstates with the already underpowered Jeep).

With an Unlimited 4 Door you will be fine, it's rated at 3500 lbs tow and 350 lbs tongue weight.

Be aware - from my best measurements with a scale at home, a dry A126 with full propane tanks, battery, empty water tank, full water tank on the cassette toilet has a tongue weight right around 300 to 310 lbs.

Since I have a much lower tongue weight rating than that (200lbs) I'll be loading everything behind the axles and leaving the potable water and toilet water reservoir empty when towing. I'm also considering towing with the LP tanks stored inside behind the axle to reduce the tongue weight. Full LP tanks weigh in around 80 lbs.
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote