Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2022, 06:03 PM   #1

RV nightmare

I am Kimmy I'm new here I just got a 2022 saber Cobalt RV and it has been a nightmare since day one when I got it hooked up it was hooked up wrong and I had 220 and all my outlets I have a solar panel and the only way I can keep the batteries charged is if I keep the battery charger connected to my batteries the microwave or the over range microwave doesn't work now and the stereo in it doesn't work the bathroom GFI Plug-In or whatever it's called caught on fire or started to melt I got that fixed I got the 220 fixed now I just I don't know if the microwave has a reset button on it it's been a disaster I want to cry does the stereo have a fuse or a reset button I need help thanks in advance
Kimmie7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:08 PM   #2

Sorry.
What was hooked up wrong, the rv itself or where you plugged it in?

Welcome to the forum!
Old 11-12-2022, 06:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Sounds like whatever you plugged the trailer into, was wired wrong.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:18 PM   #4

There is usually an inline fuse behind the stereo, the faceplate comes off, there will be screws behind the faceplate that hold the stereo into the opening, remove those screws and you can pull the stereo out to get behind it.

Your converter is very likely fried. The converter takes the 120 volt AC (alternating current) shore power and converts it to DC (Direct Current) to charge the batteries with. The converter is a component that is very likely in the bottom half of the trailer's power distribution panel where the circuit breakers and fuses are.

The effect on your solar charging controller is unknown, but it likely should be OK unless it had AC electrical wiring going to it for some reason.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Sorry.
What was hooked up wrong, the rv itself or where you plugged it in?

Welcome to the forum!
The Saber Cobalt is a 5th Wheel trailer that has a 50 amp shore power connection. It sounds like a hot leg and neutral were switched at the receptacle so one side of the RV 50 amp circuit would be getting 240 volts and the other side of the circuit would have gotten 120 volts with neutral and hot reversed.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:31 PM   #6

i'm assuming that you have 30 amp rv and you plugged into a 30 amp receptacle that was wired for 220 volts, not the 120 the rv needs.

i'm sorry that this happened. unfortunately it happens rather frequently. there are lots of posts about it and what damage this causes. i'll try to give a recap of what may be damaged but obviously i don't know for sure. you are going to have to test each device one and a time to confirm.

most of the time the converter gets damaged and needs to be replaced. you can check the reverse polarity fuses but the converter will probably need to be replaced. the converter not working is why you can't keep the batteries charged.

the microwave may is probably repairable. there have been posts about an internal fuses blowing. if you are lucking this may be all that is required. if not then the control board probably needs to be replaced. again i do not know this for sure.

i don't know about the stereo. again it may just be an internal fuse. you're just going to have to figure it out.

the priority, at least in may option, would be:
converter
microwave
stereo

there may be issues with the a/c side of the water heater. if so, it is an easy task to replace the a/c heating element. also check the air conditioner.

you may want to consider using a EMS system in the incoming power line. these check for proper voltage and block it if it is not to spec. make sure you look for full EMS. the lesser cost surge protectors do not offer this protection.

again sorry this happened.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
i'm assuming that you have 30 amp rv and you plugged into a 30 amp receptacle that was wired for 220 volts, not the 120 the rv needs.
That assumption is incorrect. The Saber Cobalt is 50 amp. However, a 50 amp RV receptacle with one hot leg and the neutral reversed gives nearly the same results.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie7474 View Post
I am Kimmy I'm new here I just got a 2022 saber Cobalt RV and it has been a nightmare since day one when I got it hooked up it was hooked up wrong and I had 220 and all my outlets I have a solar panel and the only way I can keep the batteries charged is if I keep the battery charger connected to my batteries the microwave or the over range microwave doesn't work now and the stereo in it doesn't work the bathroom GFI Plug-In or whatever it's called caught on fire or started to melt I got that fixed I got the 220 fixed now I just I don't know if the microwave has a reset button on it it's been a disaster I want to cry does the stereo have a fuse or a reset button I need help thanks in advance
Sorry for your mishap . but this is clearly over your head [nothing personnel ] but you don't want to get electrocuted, you should get a qualified service tech to look at it . sounds like you burnt out a few components like converter , microwave . GFCI burnt wires need to be checked . ETC better someone with some experience look at it then on-line guesses as to what is or isn't good
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:44 PM   #9
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
That assumption is incorrect. The Saber Cobalt is 50 amp. However, a 50 amp RV receptacle with one hot leg and the neutral reversed gives nearly the same results.
Or with an open neutral, this wouldn't have 220 at the outlet but devices on either side of the line will share 220 and any imbalance (which there always is) would send anywhere from just over 120 to almost 220 to a device
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:52 PM   #10

Looking at the original post I have no idea how anybody could begin to offer an educated suggestion to help this person but a bunch have tied.
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
The Saber Cobalt is a 5th Wheel trailer that has a 50 amp shore power connection. It sounds like a hot leg and neutral were switched at the receptacle so one side of the RV 50 amp circuit would be getting 240 volts and the other side of the circuit would have gotten 120 volts with neutral and hot reversed.
That's an assumption that I wasn't prepared to make.
I was trying to determine if the rv itself was wired incorrectly or if whatever he was plugged into was wired incorrectly. The second option is more likely than having the rv wired incorrectly, but who knows.
Old 11-13-2022, 01:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
That's an assumption that I wasn't prepared to make.
I was trying to determine if the rv itself was wired incorrectly or if whatever he was plugged into was wired incorrectly. The second option is more likely than having the rv wired incorrectly, but who knows.
That is true - any miswiring of the RV receptacle on the pedestal or house could just as easily have been miswired at the receptacle on the side of the trailer where the power cord plugs in. However, that being said, if it was the trailer that was miswired by the manufacturer, then it should all be covered under warranty.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:41 AM   #13
Georgia Rally Coordinator

With out more info from the OP as to what or where the camper was plugged in its a crap shoot to have a good answer. If they picked up at a dealer and did the walk through and had the trailer plugged in and all worked then we need the rest of the story. This thread will probably get moved by the moderators and put in the saber sub section . Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:49 AM   #14

If OP comes back.... did you do pre delivery inspection at the dealer
did they have it plugged in... more than likely yes

if you paid a professional for a 50amp connection ... whoever installed it should repair your appliances.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:31 AM   #15

Get some help.
Try a mobile RV mechanic.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 11:57 AM   #16
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
Looking at the original post I have no idea how anybody could begin to offer an educated suggestion to help this person but a bunch have tied.
Exactly! A lot of missing details in this complaint. The fact that the GFCI caught fire is alarming and requires nothing less than a "qualified" electrician on-site for a remedy. It doesn't appear that the OP has the wherewithal to proceed on their own to sort out the problem(s).
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Interesting, if you are in the United States, your power should be 120 volts probably 50 amps. If you are running 220v that will burn everything out. Campsite run 120v 30 or 50 amp. Not sure where you are getting 220v.
wnew813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:49 PM   #18

Kimmie, my heart breaks for you!

I am old now, which means I’ve survived losses and trouble, so be encouraged that you can, too.

As I read your post, I began to think of possible causes for the trouble. Some have been mentioned by others and some not.

When you wrote, “I got it hooked up,” I wondered what that meant– +Did you mean you got a hook-up at your home? +Were you hooking up at a campground? +Did you have help, or were you doing the hook-up?

When you wrote, “I got that fixed,” I wondered again– +Who fixed it? (etc.)

Your microwave probably needs to be replaced. They are not that expensive. But I would go through the entire RV to make sure everything electrical either works correctly or is replaced/repaired. Test every outlet. Check the power converter. Test the cord you use to hook up with.

My best advice is to ask your friends and family if anyone has a “DMM” and a “fiberglass fish-tape,” and if they know what a “microFarad” is. That person might be able to help you through this.

I hope things will get better soon.

Quote:
Mark W. Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:58 PM   #19

12 days and no reply from OP. Beating a dead horse here.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:28 PM   #20

Do you have insurance? If so, have an RV mechanic fix it. Insurance covers mistakes made by owners. It will save your sanity and paying the deductible will be cheaper than purchasing all of the parts needed to parts and pieces and guessing what got fried.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote