Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #1

Scared to Death... buyers remorse - comfort please!

We just bought a Rockwood Roo 23RS from RVW. We are in WA state and are meeting them half way in WY the first week of April. TOTALLY FREAKED OUT. We started looking for a pop up 3 years ago, then went to a tent Hybrid to a hard slide HYBRID at 23 feet!!!! DEAR LORD!

We love camping, have 2 boys, 7 and 5 and have NEVER owned an RV before. Did we get one too big? Did we get one too heavy? Should we have bought used? Should we have bought local for 7K more?

What do we need to know before picking up this trailer? What do we need to ask the RVW deliverer? What do we look for on our trailer before we take posession?

Any and all feedback is appreciated!
New2ROO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
lylylylyHello & welcome.
I think your choice is fine. Most folks buying tent traikers & hybrids end up in larger box trailers anyway. First, they want full bathrooms, then more space. Why not skip the trade up process?
Buying new is the only way I've bought RV's. Nothing like a new one!

Do a good thorou lygh

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
The Jolly Mon

Sorry, Smartphone hiccup above.

Do a thorough pre-delivery inspection (PDI). Check all systems, and look for any defects. Nice thing about buying new is you have a warranty. There are some good checklists out there, just search for PDI's.

Many people second-guess a big decision. It will last until you see how much fun, and togetherness your family will share in your new adventures. My children are grown now, and many of their best memories are from our traveling RV adventures.

Enjoy!

Old 03-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #4

New2roo,

We just bought a new camper, its over 34 ft long. We had the same questions you do. New is ok as noted by others. We have a smaller older camper too, it has been ok also.

As mentioned, learn what you can on this site from these very helpful and friendly people, buy a coupld CDs and books from RV Travel or other helpful RV sites to learn about RVing. Important thing like any camping, enjoy being together with your family. Other people will help you as you travel and in the campgrounds. ROOs are very popular, bigger is probably better for a longterm plan, new has a warranty and you can extend it probably if you desire, ask RVW. You spent the least amount you could buying at RVW and most posts where they are discussed seem positiive. Get a good PDI and take it with you. Tell RVW that you want to have a detailed review using a PDI and maybe send them a copy of what you want to do in your inspection. Maybe try to stay in it a night there, if they will allow this, ask them a lot of questions, take pics/video, etc.

Enjoy your family, your new ROO, the FR Forum family, and have a great time camping.

phil
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #5

When that remorse feeling hits in the pit of your stomach, smile, take a deep breathe, exhale, and then say to yourself "what is the worst thing that could happen if my choices weren't perfect?". In your case, it sounds like you could make a few changes if needed and still be more than aok. You bought cheap, then the resale will be higher. So, At this point just plan on enjoying your new toy and revel in the great new experiences your family will work out together. Have fun!
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #6

New2Roo,
Welcome to FRF.

Congrats on your purchase. You made a good choice and saved a ton of money. It's only natural to be scared in your position. As other have stated, bring along a PDI(pre-delivery inspection), camera and note pad.

Let RVW know that you plan to go over your new trailer with a fine tooth comb. This way, they'll go over it much better before it leaves their yard and will be prepared to have the driver ready to spend some time with you. I'm sure this is not their first time dealing with a situation like this.

Breath easy.

Keep us posted on your pick-up/deliver.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #7

I bought though the internet, got the great price, got the delivery and have been totally happy! Take a chill pill, sit back and enjoy that new camper. Until you meet up take the other's advice and get some books that explain RV stuff. Even at Wal-Mart I found a book in the camping section that was geared to first time RV'ers and it was pretty good! I think you will find you made the right choice!
steveqvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #8

Thank you, thank you... a bazillion thank yous. We are feeling much better. Will keep you posted on our progress. If anyone has specific books or video's we can look for, let me know.

It appears from threads that we are all curious how things with RVW work out. So far the experience has been amazing. Great follow through, clear communication, we will see how delivery and service is.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:29 AM   #9

A lot of excellent advise above, since you are new at this you properly have no idea on what to look for as far as going over a TT with a fine tooth comb, a check list is perfect for a new comer, experience is the best tool. If you know of someone that has this experience, a person that has camped with an RV, they would be extremely helpful to you....Good luck with your choice and happy camping.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:21 AM   #10
Site Team

Welcome and it's perfectly normal to have the jitters, especially buying something long distance. You'll get over it and have an great time enjoying your new RV.

You don't say what you're towing the new Roo with but with a GVWR of 4780 lbs and tongue weight of possibly close to 600 lbs you'll want to consider at least sway control and maybe weight distribution if you haven't thought about it. Also make sure your TV's (Tow Vehicle) tires are inflated to max pressure listed on the sidewall.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #11

We bought a late model '05 Wildwood LE Bunkhouse model and love it. The orig. owner took a lot of time to show us stuff, and it came with all the manuals, but I still wished I had done the following:

1. Checked every system - even every stereo speaker. (two of the speakers in the slideout don't work).

2. Tested the A/C and the furnace separately in heating and cooling mode (if yours is so equipped).

3. Paid better attention to that talk about rolling up the awning each day (our 22 ft. awning filled up with rain the first week and broke in half, denting the side of our trailer). Cost to repair $1120.

4. Learned more about sanitizing the tanks (there is info on this site that is great).

5. Was told that you need to "winterize" your RV when a big cold snap comes along, so the pipes don't freeze and burst (search on RV and winterizing on Google - there is a great primer online about this).

6. Had someone explain that the Dometic gas/electric frig doesnt work very well unless the trailer is really level, and even then the fridge part is not really very cold at all (lots of folks complain about this).

7. Had the guy explain to me one more time how you swap over the propane tanks with that tank switch lever thingy (but I figured it out myself, anyway).

Above all, be sure you get a manual for every major piece of gear (trailer, furnace, AC, stereo, fridge, TV antenna, etc.) These will come in handy.

6. Does your unit include a spare tire?

7. Are the drain hoses included, as they should be?

You will also need to learn about what cleaning and maintenance supplies to keep on hand. Items include stuff like Bleach or Dichlor, septic tank enzymes, water softener (see post on this site), RV anti-freeze, and other cleansers for getting the mildew off the trailer or awning (if equipped).

But, all of the above is just a learning experience that is part and parcel of getting a new trailer - it is not meant to overwhelm you. Your concerns are also very valid - after all, if we had paid more attention to detail, we would still have our original awning, and would not have had to file an insurance claim the first week.

By the way we bought insurance for our RV from Progressive, who does our car insurance. Don't forget to buy RV insurance - we would never ever have thought that we would have had to file a claim, but we did, in the first week of ownership when our awning collapsed.

Happy camping!
walk_the_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2ROO View Post
Thank you, thank you... a bazillion thank yous. We are feeling much better. Will keep you posted on our progress. If anyone has specific books or video's we can look for, let me know.

It appears from threads that we are all curious how things with RVW work out. So far the experience has been amazing. Great follow through, clear communication, we will see how delivery and service is.
================

Here are some web sites for; rv educational DVDs and books, RV Q and A, a RV newsletter, and a PDI on RV net. As already realized, this site has very knowledgeable and friendly people that can be a great help.

I recently got some of the DVDs they were clear and helpful.

Nice camper, enjoy, be safe.

Phil
================================================== ==

http://rveducation101.com/

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...tid/264829.cfm

http://www.rvtravel.com/publish/news...issue317.shtml

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/21103670.cfm
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 PM   #13

Wow, Thanks! I cannot get over all the help you all are! I can't wait to check back to see whom else has chimed in!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:28 AM   #14

It is amazing now much stuff there is to look for, like I said in post #9, experience is the best tool and if you do not have anyone to help you, this is the best place to be FRF. Another suggestion about the awning, A center support. My awning is 19', it did not come from the manufacture with a center support, we lost our awning the first year we had the camper in Ocean City Md, a storm came up in the middle of the night and bent the roller in half At $1200 later It was recommended to have a center support installed, this would help support the 19' run from bending and TIE IT DOWN. I am sure you will hear from others. Have a good one.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #15

I'm going thru the same thing too, hope we got it right. We did a lot of looking, reading, and liked everything even on the walk thru. Now looking forward to trying it out.

Didn't think to search for a "checklist", but made out own. I've had two RV's before so that helps us a little, but lots and lots of advancements since we bought.
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:34 PM   #16

We ordered a 21 Carefree Awning with our new RV, and that center support is a must! I had forgot about it, or thought it came with, when dealer called and said do you want it? A no brainer, definitely.

Number #1 makes me cringe a little above, we never heard our stero play, just assumed its got to work, lets hope!
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #17
The Jolly Mon

It's all good. If something doesn't work...get them to fix it ASAP. Ours was delivered right to the seasonal site. I did the inspection (partial) on the lot, and most of it on delivery to the site. I found things wrong, and they fixed them right on site. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk_the_walk View Post
We bought a late model '05 Wildwood LE Bunkhouse model and love it. The orig. owner took a lot of time to show us stuff, and it came with all the manuals, but I still wished I had done the following:

1. Checked every system - even every stereo speaker. (two of the speakers in the slideout don't work).

2. Tested the A/C and the furnace separately in heating and cooling mode (if yours is so equipped).

3. Paid better attention to that talk about rolling up the awning each day (our 22 ft. awning filled up with rain the first week and broke in half, denting the side of our trailer). Cost to repair $1120.

4. Learned more about sanitizing the tanks (there is info on this site that is great).

5. Was told that you need to "winterize" your RV when a big cold snap comes along, so the pipes don't freeze and burst (search on RV and winterizing on Google - there is a great primer online about this).

6. Had someone explain that the Dometic gas/electric frig doesnt work very well unless the trailer is really level, and even then the fridge part is not really very cold at all (lots of folks complain about this).

7. Had the guy explain to me one more time how you swap over the propane tanks with that tank switch lever thingy (but I figured it out myself, anyway).

Above all, be sure you get a manual for every major piece of gear (trailer, furnace, AC, stereo, fridge, TV antenna, etc.) These will come in handy.

6. Does your unit include a spare tire?

7. Are the drain hoses included, as they should be?

You will also need to learn about what cleaning and maintenance supplies to keep on hand. Items include stuff like Bleach or Dichlor, septic tank enzymes, water softener (see post on this site), RV anti-freeze, and other cleansers for getting the mildew off the trailer or awning (if equipped).

But, all of the above is just a learning experience that is part and parcel of getting a new trailer - it is not meant to overwhelm you. Your concerns are also very valid - after all, if we had paid more attention to detail, we would still have our original awning, and would not have had to file an insurance claim the first week.

By the way we bought insurance for our RV from Progressive, who does our car insurance. Don't forget to buy RV insurance - we would never ever have thought that we would have had to file a claim, but we did, in the first week of ownership when our awning collapsed.

Happy camping!
Great summay, all important, a real learning experience. Our awning was removed last summer during a camping trip at the beach, a quick harsh storm arose. we had progressive, they came over the next day and prepared the paperwork and were excellent to work with. Insurance paid for everything.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #19

I'm totally new at this, too. Just signed for a 27' Flagstaff with bunks today. Here's a link to a inspection checklist I just found:

http://changingears.com/rv-checklist...ion.shtml#_res

Hope it's helpful, and good luck! I have our trailer scheduled for a Devil's Lake WI week already..... but like you, I'm rather intimidated. For us, Devil's Lake is only about 15 minutes away, about right for a shakedown I hope.

Wisconsin to Oklahoma and everywhere else I can eventually get to!
BarabooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooDad View Post
I'm totally new at this, too. Just signed for a 27' Flagstaff with bunks today. Here's a link to a inspection checklist I just found:

http://changingears.com/rv-checklist...ion.shtml#_res

Hope it's helpful, and good luck! I have our trailer scheduled for a Devil's Lake WI week already..... but like you, I'm rather intimidated. For us, Devil's Lake is only about 15 minutes away, about right for a shakedown I hope.
Thanks for that list, and Welcome to the forum!!! If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask, the group here is very helpful!!!

Happy Camping!!!