Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #1

Soon-to-be owner!

Hello All! We are taking delivery of our (new) 07 Sandpiper 295BH fifth wheel on Saturday. I'm so excited! We had a little trailer for 13 years, but outgrew it and sold it two years ago. I'm going crazy without camping

Have three kids, two teenage girls and a 7 year old boy. The layout of this trailer is perfect for us, as we plan to bring along a friend for DS as the girls stop camping with us. DH and I are very excited about having our own bedroom and a bit of privacy, something we didn't have in our old trailer.

Any good advice for taking delivery? DH will be working, so it will be myself and DD 15. I've never pulled a fiver before either, so the learning curve is going to be steep!

Nice to meet you all.

Leanne, on beautiful Vancouver Island
oldredmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #2

to FRF!!

Taking delivery yourself is pretty brave and I admire you for it. Get a PDI print out and expect to be there a couple of hours going over the rig. Also take along a digital camera and a flashlight. Have them hook up shore power and water. Check for leaks anywhere you can. Hose the outside of the trailer down and look inside around all the windows and slide. Have them show you EVERYTHING you do not understand.

As far as pulling a 5'er for the 1st time........... If you have pulled a tag-along before it's no major. I would let them hook it up for you for the 1st time though and watch them and take notes and pictures. Just take it easy towing home and pay attention to it and you will be fine. My wife tows our 5'er pretty often and she had never towed a trailer before.

You and your kids are going to LOVE the bunk house!!

Keep us posted.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Hello and welcome. I agree...a good PDI will find anything wrong right away.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #4

Lots of nice people here with more free advice than you can ever use. All you have to do is ask. Never any thing to small or too dumb. I've learned so much in the 2 years that I've been reading the forums that I've joined. Don't forget... We love pictures!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:36 AM   #5

So in drooling over the brochure, I discovered that it's actually a "285BH" that we're getting, if that makes any difference. The thing is over 31 feet long!

I do have a good PDI list, got it from a Yahoo Group of Forest River owners.

My kids and I are so excited! I already have a pile of stuff on my kitchen island that I collected to put in there, along with several boxes in my basement and garage from our old trailer. Can't wait for Saturday night's sleepover!

I'm a bit spooked by the "Concercrap" discussions, but I know to have a good look and listen to the system before I take delivery. I'm thinking that because it's an 07 (but new) the Concertone sitting in it is old enough to be one of the pre-we-fixed-it generation...

I'll be taking and posting pics this weekend, have no fear!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #6

enjoy
Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #7

keep us posted on your journey and your new 5'er pulling experience (I'm sure you'll like it )

and pics, we love pics here

of course I have been remiss about reposting mine since our gallery took a nose dive..............

I'll get'er done though. It's one of them 'round toos
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #8

Help!

So I'm supposed to be taking delivery tomorrow morning, and I don't see any evidence of a power hook-up in the bed of my truck. It's got the hitch, but I don't see any plug-in. Could it be hiding somewhere?

Someone please help me!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 PM   #9

No brake controller either. It's going to be a very long day...
Old 05-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #10

No trailer today :(

So it ended up that the trailer was the biggest issue, not the truck. They were able to install the brake controller while I was going through the trailer. The guy insists that it's okay to plug in on the bumper, rather than inside the box. The jury is out on that one still.

There were several things wrong with the trailer. The microwave door wouldn't open, the screen door wouldn't close. Loose things, misaligned things, etc. Two issues I had pointed out before, but they didn't even bother to fix those.

So, I'm going back Monday. I'm not sure I'm liking their attitude, but hey, they've got their money...

Does anyone pull with their rig plugged in over top of the tailgate?