Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2009, 02:25 AM   #1

Smile Soon to be part of the family

After taking a couple of trips in a friend's trailer and discussing it till neither my wife nor I wanted to talk about it any more we have finally pulled the trigger and ordered our first travel trailer.

We ordered a 2010 Rockwood 8306SS with pretty much all the options. I will proudly post pictures as soon as it comes in (5-7 weeks).

We will be breaking the rules (camp in drive way / close to home the first weekend) since I currently work in Iraq (computer contractor) and will arrive home on a Friday morning, do the walk through on Friday afternoon, have Saturday for them to fix any "big" issues then leave on Sunday for a week in Disney World at Fort Wilderness!!

Since the trailer should be in a week or more before I come home, my plan is to e-mail my pre-delivery check list (thanks to all those helpfull checklists on this site and others!!) and have them go through it with a fine tooth comb before we even show up. Then I will go back through it on the day of delivery. My wife will also drop the truck off to them on the Thursday before I arrive so they can get the Reese hitch all installed and setup. My prayer right now is that they fix any problems before I even get there so we can "camp" in the driveway on Friday night!!

My local dealer is treating us right on the price (within a couple of $100 of RVDirect) and is charging no install fees for non-factory items (MaxAir vent covers, Reese dual cam hitch, brake controller, etc). Also, none of their people work on commission so there is never any pressure.

We were all ready to buy a 8313SS but with a 14yo daughter and a 4yo son we felt like the curtain between the "bunk" area and living room on the 8313SS would end up being nothing but trouble (Son ripping it open while sister changing...etc...) So we decided on the 8306 after looking back and forth between it and the 8317SS. I really like the floor plan of the 8306 and think it will work out well for our family.

I will let everyone know how that first trip goes later in September when we get back!
Old 07-10-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Hope you enjoy our forum. My, I'm glad my schedule is not as hectic as yours. Have fun on your trip!

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #3

welcome to the rv life. I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as mine does.

Jon Breen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

to FRF. Camping out in the driveway is a good idea. It's gives you a chance to put the RV through it's paces. As for breaking any rules??? We spent the 4th of July weekend starting on Thursday evening camping out in ours. We just had too much going on to actually go somewhere so that was the next best thing. We are going on vacation this coming weekend and plan on camping in Lancaster PA. Enjoy that new RV and have a great trip to Disney.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new camper it is always exciting to get something new .Good luck with your delivery and we all hope everything goes as planned .Just remember dont get too excited if something goes wrong it can always be fixed when you get back home most of all be safe,take your time and relax and enjoy