Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2022, 12:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith.Grace80 View Post
That's a great idea on the insurance! Thank you so much. And yes, he has already ordered one..lol
It sound like the lightning was pretty destructive. A surge/EMS protector might help, but I'm not certain that anything will protect against a lightning strike close to the rig. Still a good idea to have one in my opinion.

Since your husband obviously knows what he's doing and has traced the problems, contacting the insurance company is definitely a good idea. Keep all your receipts and take a picture of the area that was struck by lightning.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:13 PM   #22

Might help

I know this is very simple and may not be any help but go through your tt and make sure all your gfci are working. I carry my cell phone and cord around as I check each one by plugging in real quick to verify theyíre flipped on. It will be awesome if one of these is switched off. Itís worked in the past for me when we had some power but not all.
MizKat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:30 PM   #23

There isnít a chance that the camper is plugged into a 220 outlet in your home as the 220 outlet is similar to a 30 amp outlet?
I had a Sunseeker that my Brother in-law plugged into 220 at his work shop and it did all kinds of damage to my major appliances but power remained for lights etc.
Just spit balling here
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Hello Everyone!

My name is Nicole. My husband & I bought a camper 3 months ago to live in on our SC property while our house is being completely renovated. WE knew nothing about campers, still only know the basics I'm sure. Two nights ago, we had lightning strike within feet of the camper knocking out our microwave, frig, AC, water heater, & internet boxes. My husband is on a 12hr work shift but he has already attempted to troubleshoot the AC & breaker panel with no luck of finding any issues. We don't have a truck to haul it anywhere so we are looking for a repairman to come out to the camper to figure out what is going on. If anyone knows of anyone in or around the Charleston/Summerville, SC area that could help us out it would be amazing. We are willing to pay for the help.

Many Thanks,

Nicole
Hey Nicole,

I live in Summerville and have many years of RV/camper experience. Feel free to PM me and I will be glad to talk to you about this issue and see if we can schedule a time for me to come take a look at what's going on.
hlawrimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:53 PM   #25

Sorry y'all took a hit. I used to live in SE GA and seen bunches of lightning! I'd bet the control board took the hit on the AC unit. Most microwave ovens have a fuse mounted internally where only a service tech can get to it. However, anyone can buy a tamperproof Torx bit to open the case.
Good luck.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:58 PM   #26

I had an E1 on that thermostat last year. My situation was wires were not connected solid to it. Reconnected them and it was good. Also reseated fuses or whatever seemed loose. Other thing dealer electrician told me was thermostat may have had a hit and might need to be replaced.
DLorenzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:30 PM   #27

Nicole, I pray you have fixed your problem by now. If not, repost. I know some folks in your area that may be able to assist.
Sobeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:27 PM   #28

If you're calling your insurance company might I suggest you do nothing until you see what they say. I know that's easier said then done but they may cover everything including your electricians time, appliances, etc. But once your start replacing things or having someone start doing work on it, without their adjuster looking at it and approval If

, IMO they could blame it on something other than a lightning strike. Curious was your house hit or impacted by this strike? Has your electrician checked your house for any damage or blown fuses?
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:10 AM   #29

Quote:
That's a great idea on the insurance! Thank you so much. And yes, he has already ordered one..lol
May I suggest that you need an EMS - Electrical Management System, rather than a surge protector?
Look up "Mike Sokol" and EMS. Mike has decades in RV industry electrical problems, and he has evaluated the top EMS products. Given your electrical problems, you will also want to check out the very dangerous "hot skin" condition....you should have and use a non-contact voltage tester.
(Another good resource is RVElectricity is managed by several RV electrical experts with many years of experience.)
https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...tors-rvt-1003/
Irene D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping