Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2022, 11:14 AM   #1

Unhappy Temporary Camping Gone Bad..

Hello Everyone!

My name is Nicole. My husband & I bought a camper 3 months ago to live in on our SC property while our house is being completely renovated. WE knew nothing about campers, still only know the basics I'm sure. Two nights ago, we had lightning strike within feet of the camper knocking out our microwave, frig, AC, water heater, & internet boxes. My husband is on a 12hr work shift but he has already attempted to troubleshoot the AC & breaker panel with no luck of finding any issues. We don't have a truck to haul it anywhere so we are looking for a repairman to come out to the camper to figure out what is going on. If anyone knows of anyone in or around the Charleston/Summerville, SC area that could help us out it would be amazing. We are willing to pay for the help.

Many Thanks,

Nicole
Faith.Grace80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith.Grace80 View Post
Hello Everyone!

My name is Nicole. My husband & I bought a camper 3 months ago to live in on our SC property while our house is being completely renovated. WE knew nothing about campers, still only know the basics I'm sure. Two nights ago, we had lightning strike within feet of the camper knocking out our microwave, frig, AC, water heater, & internet boxes. My husband is on a 12hr work shift but he has already attempted to troubleshoot the AC & breaker panel with no luck of finding any issues. We don't have a truck to haul it anywhere so we are looking for a repairman to come out to the camper to figure out what is going on. If anyone knows of anyone in or around the Charleston/Summerville, SC area that could help us out it would be amazing. We are willing to pay for the help.

Many Thanks,

Nicole

Hate to hear this, but the first thing to check is to what you are plugging the RV into for 120 volt AC power. You have to make sure you have proper power at the pedestal/pole feeding the RV first.

May I suggest reading this thread first, so you can get a basic understanding of your 2 different electrical systems in your RV, and what operates off of 120 volt AC and what operates off of 12 volt DC.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nt-152813.html

I'd appreciate receiving junk mail far more if it actually came with pieces of junk.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:15 PM   #3
Part-Time Campground Host

A quick search on google maps for "mobile rv repair" turned of four in your area, all of which are closed today.
Whatever you do try not to use Camping World in North Charleston.
We spend two months in your area visiting Grandkids. Wish we were there now, I could help you. Good Luck!
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1272
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Hello Everyone!

Many Thanks,

Nicole
Hey from the SC Midlands. If you have been in SC for any period of time you know Lightning is a common occurrence. I know mobile repair folks up this way but you are too far for them, I checked. As WM Tire said above, you need to start with your power source. The house in renovation I imagine is where your trailer is plugged into. A Volt meter is the tool you need. And of course the knowledge on how to use it. YouTube is full of videos that would help in using a Voltmeter. Just keep safety in mind!

It may be something simple like a breaker in the house.
Best of luck!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Two nights ago, we had lightning strike within feet of the camper knocking out our microwave, frig, AC, water heater, & internet boxes.
I'm so sorry that happened and glad you are both ok.
Do you happen to have an electrician as a friend? They could test where you have it plugged in and follow the wires to see where the electrical stops. There's a converter box behind the fuse panel that may have a fuse out. Worse case scenario, your appliances may be fried.
It's not just campers. We had a friend who had his house hit by lightning and he lost all his appliances.
Hopefully, it's just a fried fuse.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:33 PM   #6

Thank you for the Feedback Everyone!

Yep, we have 120 coming all the way up to the camper. We have power to all the lights, outlets, etc throughout the camper. The AC was just replaced 2 months ago with a brand new system & now the thermostat is showing "E1". Please forgive me y'all. My husband is not here to give the correct verbiage for that we have or don't have. This is NOT my field of expertise. I am simply trying to help get this fixed since he isn't here to work on it. And, no we will not be going through Camping World if we can help it.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #7

I'm trying to find an electrician through our contractor now. But it being Sunday, I may not. Thank you so much for the response.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:41 PM   #8

Thank you so much for your input. I am forwarding all these messages to my husband. I am working on getting an electrician out through my contractor. And yes, you are correct. We are connected to the house we are renovating.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:47 PM   #9

My husband does have a voltmeter that he was using last night while he was attempting to troubleshoot. I'm trying to find an electrician through our contractor now. But it being Sunday, I may not. Thank you so much for the help.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Thank you so much for your input. I am forwarding all these messages to my husband. I am working on getting an electrician out through my contractor. And yes, you are correct. We are connected to the house we are renovating.
E1 code usually means "loss of communication" and the type of thermostat you have for the reset will vary. One way for a reset is:
Make sure the thermostat is OFF and while holding the + button, press and hold the On/Off Mode button for three seconds.
If this does not correct the issue if you could post a picture of your tstat it would help.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 12:58 PM   #11

Quote:
My husband does have a voltmeter that he was using last night while he was attempting to troubleshoot. I'm trying to find an electrician through our contractor now. But it being Sunday, I may not. Thank you so much for the help.
The electrician who is working on your renovation should have a vested interest in helping. Make him feel guilty Just be careful. There have been a lot of horror stories about Electricians not being aware of how RV trailers are wired.

Good Luck!
Old 07-24-2022, 12:59 PM   #12

Don't worry about the 'verbiage', you're doing fine.
You've got a puzzle and I'm assuming that your husband did troubleshooting on the power panel. Hopefully he checked all the fuses and reset the circuit breakers in the power panel which is usually near the floor and behind a metal cover. Tell him there's a CONverter behind that panel that distributes power to the rig. That needs to be tested.

You could use the make and model of the thermostat to go to the manufacturers 'website and download the manual to look up the error code. I suspect it either needs to be reset or there's a problem with the air itself. Hopefully, you've got a fan to at least move some of the hot air around.

The symptoms are unusual. You have some power, but not power to everything. Power to outlets indicate that some of the 110v side is working not just battery power.
At this point, there's not a lot you can do. Unfortunately, it is Sunday and places where you can get parts will be closed too.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:13 PM   #13

No such luck..

Thank you so much for your help. I took the power all the way off the camper. Even unplugged the battery. Then tried the + and power buttons at the same time. No luck. I have attached pictures so you can see what it did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220724_140046.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	276901   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220724_140211.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	276902   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220724_140240.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	276903  
Old 07-24-2022, 01:16 PM   #14

Everyone... My husband sent me an email to attach so you can see what he has done already just last night after he got off his shift.

We have power to the camper.

We have 120 volt power and 12 v power coming off the converter.

We have an E-1 from the AC which shows a loss of communication. We have all power to the AC unit and all contacts have been cleaned and plugged back in. This is a brand new unit. Motor is good, capacitor is good, compressor is good. Control board shows no signs of shorts and there is no fuse on the control board. A new control board and thermostat are on order. All wiring OHMs so I am not showing any damage to the wires.

I just replaced the convertor 2 months ago with a brand new one. All components look good and do not show signs of shorting out. The surge fuse was ohmed and is still good.

The Water heater only heats on gas now and I will check to make sure when I get off work that the element is still good and that it has power going to it.

The Refrigerator has also gone out and does not want to cool on the propane.

The Microwave has power to it, but I think it just needs to be replaced.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:19 PM   #15

Saw your updated post. Made my suggestions OBE.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:19 PM   #16

Can't thank you enough. I just posted my husband's email with everything he has done thus far. Looks like we will just be waiting on parts or until an electrician can get out tomorrow! And yes, we have fans moving the air.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Everyone... My husband sent me an email to attach so you can see what he has done already just last night after he got off his shift.

We have power to the camper.

We have 120 volt power and 12 v power coming off the converter.

We have an E-1 from the AC which shows a loss of communication. We have all power to the AC unit and all contacts have been cleaned and plugged back in. This is a brand new unit. Motor is good, capacitor is good, compressor is good. Control board shows no signs of shorts and there is no fuse on the control board. A new control board and thermostat are on order. All wiring OHMs so I am not showing any damage to the wires.

I just replaced the convertor 2 months ago with a brand new one. All components look good and do not show signs of shorting out. The surge fuse was ohmed and is still good.

The Water heater only heats on gas now and I will check to make sure when I get off work that the element is still good and that it has power going to it.

The Refrigerator has also gone out and does not want to cool on the propane.

The Microwave has power to it, but I think it just needs to be replaced.
Sounds like he knows where to go and how to get there

I only have one more thought. Consider a Surge Protector.

We used a 30 amp Progressive industries. Now went with a 50 amp Hughes Power Watchdog for newer trailer. I like the WatchDog, has WiFi display.

Good Luck!
Old 07-24-2022, 01:21 PM   #18

Thank you so much. We are just going to have to wait for an electrican to get out tomorrow morning.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:23 PM   #19

I would also call your insurance. They may have someone they work with come look at it. Sound like you my be replacing a few items. You may also want to get some kind of surge protector for your RV

https://a.co/9cknXXo
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:25 PM   #20

That's a great idea on the insurance! Thank you so much. And yes, he has already ordered one..lol

Tags
camping