Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #1

Texas Traveler

We have been RV'ing for the last 20+ years. We started out with a 29' Dutchman TT for about ten years and then bought a 40' Damon DP. We traveled all over Texas, Ok, and Mo in the DP. We sold it about 3 years ago when we decided to build our "forever home". I have just completed 2 months of chemo and radiation for throat cancer and feel pretty good, though some issues and uncertain future are in the mix. We decided to buy a 5th wheel and a truck to pull it as a celebration and perhaps a statement of faith. Initially, we were going to try towing a smaller 30' 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton RAM short bed 4x4 diesel. However, the loaded 2020 Longhorn has a max cargo capacity of only 2108 lbs. We found a 5th wheel with a advertised pin weight of 1310 lbs. However, when actually weighed, the pin weight was 1540 lbs. Ok, add in the wife, dog, tools, generator, and hitch and you are already at or exceeding the max cargo of 2108. That is BEFORE you put anything in the 5th wheel.

We talked to the dealer and they were understanding and are refunding our initial deposit. We had no contract and had not even discussed actual price. But they are stand up folks.... They just did not have what we needed.

I traded in the almost new 3/4 ton and bought a 2020 RAM 4x4 diesel Longhorn long bed with the OEM installed puck system. It has a max cargo capacity of 5524 lbs and towing capacity of 19,824 lbs.

Yes, I took a bit of a hit, but the dealer worked with me. The 3500 did not have the same 10k off MSRP... ouch. Regardless, the dealer did not make the error, I did.

Now understanding the 5th wheel king pin weight issue much better, we knew what we could actually haul.

That brings us to now.... We will pick up our new 2020 Cardinal Luxury 345 RLX on Sept 2nd. They are installing the Onan 5500 LP gen and the Furrion 3 camera wireless system. My hitch is a 20k B&W companion for OEM dodge puck system....

We are heading out around Sept 4 for a month.... We want to see some foliage in the North East states..... Hope to see you down the road.
SteveE9C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:33 PM   #2

That's a beautiful rig! Congratulations on your purchase and hope you have a speedy recovery from your treatments.
A note of caution - many of the 'fall colors' states have quarantine restrictions in place for travelers from other states.... so know before you go.
https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...he-coronavirus
Old 08-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #3

Quote:
We are heading out around Sept 4 for a month.... We want to see some foliage in the North East states..... Hope to see you down the road.
Sounds like a great trip planned with a great truck and trailer...
HOWEVER...
been reports of many campgrounds closed in the NE area and those that are open are booked solid...

make sure you have a place to stay when you get there...

a little more open for camping is TN, KY and OH, and maybe PA

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:01 PM   #4
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
New truck and trailer - Wow! You should be in for some great times though.
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Sounds like a great trip planned with a great truck and trailer...
HOWEVER...
been reports of many campgrounds closed in the NE area and those that are open are booked solid...

make sure you have a place to stay when you get there...

a little more open for camping is TN, KY and OH, and maybe PA
Thank you.... a few minutes online shows me that many campsites in the NE are closed to out of staters.... especially from Texas. Some require a Covid 19 test within 72 hours of arrival. All of them require 14 day quarantine if you don't have a current address in the respective or neighboring state.

This will require some different planning....
SteveE9C6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel