Old 02-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #1

Thanks to those taking the time to help newbies

Just wanted to say thanks to all those taking the time to populate the forums. We are feeling a lot more knowledgeable and prepared for buying a Georgetown 378 than we every could have been without spending days pouring through forums on this site.

We will be spending 2 days camping at the dealers site pushing every button, turning every knob and using every feature of the unit and I have a list of "known issues" to look really closely at while we do the inspection. I'd never have been able to prepare as well without all this information so THANKS!!!

I image we'll get pretty active on the forum after we take possession. The house sales closes in 7 weeks and then we'll be living full time in our first ever RV - Yes doesn't that just sound like a reicpe for disaster We've acutally built a few houses and done bare hull up restorations on a few boats so I'm hoping I have the skills to keep one of these RV beasties from falling apart around us.

I have to say we are less worried about the technical aspects of ownership, or living in a smaller space, than we are seeing if we enjoy the social aspects of the full time lifestyle. We are saying we'll try it for a year and make a call after that..... At least we figure we'll learn a few new things along the way.

Anyways thanks again to all those who take the time to post and respond. More in a few weeks once we drive down to Texas and do the 4,000km trip home. I'm hopeing I know how to drive an RV by the time we finish that trip. Given all the doom and gloom on "new" RV issues on some of the forums we are also really hoping nothing breaks or falls off before we get home. Time to sink or swim
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.
There is a bunch of knowledge hanging out here.
I've learned a lot on here and hope I've been able to help some, too.
Be safe on your Texas trip.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #3

I can remember picking our MH up in LA on Memorial weekend. DW learned to drive it on I5. She was all over the place until I told her to center the MH between the lines using the mirrors snd wuit trying to steer it.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #4

Hi!

May I suggest that you drive it out the dealer lot and put on a few miles then bring it back to set it up. The set up may take a few times to get used to. Happy camping.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #5

Change of Plan

Well the exact same 2012 Georgetown 378 in BC, Canada was $30K more expensive than at a dealer in Texas, so I figured I was off to Texas, but when I phoned the dealer in BC to check with them that they would do warranty service on a US unit they knocked $25K off their price. I was shocked to say the least, but for $5K I'll buy local and be a bit higher in the local dealer service priority que. We pick the unit up next Thursday and have booked a week at an RV park fairly close to the dealer so we can test everything well before getting on the $400 ferry home. I figure each day we'll break it down, drive it around a bit and set it up again for the practice. And go ahead and ask me how happy I am about having to drive onto a very narrow ferry so soon after driving a 38' RV for the first time - I'm making the wife follow me in the car cause there is no way I'm gunna try and drive it on the ferry with that back there as well.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #6

Where did you purchase the unit in BC?
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Congrats with that new Georgetown 378. May it bring you nothing but great memories!! Any help we can lend , other than payments , just ask. I've been here since November 2008 and have enjoyed every minute. Got to meet a couple members at RV Shows. I do miss NWJeeper though, I was really getting good at helping him spend his money

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #8

Hey Caper,

Purchasing from TravelHome - The RV Market Place in Langley. I have no experience with the dealership yet, so certainly not putting a positive review out there other than that we were pleasantly surprised they were willing to price in the ballpark of the US dealers. Pickup/inspection set for next week. They did say they needed two full days in the shop to do their prepickup work.....that sounded encouraging.....guess we'll see.

Found an RV driving instructor doing a 4hr in-your-unit type program. For $250 bucks seems like a no-brainer. If it helps me avoid a single scratch it pays for itself. Yeah I'm a weenie, but damn that things big

PS don't need ANY help spending money, the stuff-we-need-to-buy to operate this puppy is already 2 pages long......
Old 02-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #9

Great idea hiring the driving instructor. You will enjoy the unit. We are from Ont. and spending the winter at Living Forest RV Park in Nanaimo. A great spot to stay at. Living Forest was voted one of the 10 best campgrounds in BC.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote