Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2021, 10:53 AM   #1

Third RV, First FR

Hello!
After 6 years in a Roadtrek Adventurous, we traded it for an Alpine 5r. 5 years later, we traded that for a Forester 3011. Comparing upsizing to downsizing, I think I'm going to like downsizing better.

I'm worried about not having a separate vehicle, though - and hesitant to go the toad route.
dfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:06 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Congrats on your newest rig.

Your history of vehicles is all over the dial.
A Roadtrek Class B......you know how compact that was.
A 5th wheel.....some of the roomiest options there are.
And now a Class C at around 32 feet.

Given all that.....what kind of camping do you do, or think you’ll do?
Smaller is better if you want the most availability to go anywhere. (Class B)
Bigger is better if you want lots of room and creature comforts and if you’re staying in one location for longer periods. (5th wheel)
Your Class C at 32’.....is a little large for your only form of getting around, but not impossible.

Only you know the answers to these considerations.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfriedman View Post
I'm worried about not having a separate vehicle, though - and hesitant to go the toad route.
There are alternatives to the toad route. It kind of depends on what kind of camping you do
We tend to load up on supplies (takeout included) just prior to pulling into a campground. There are a lot of 'tourist' attractions that have a place for your rig in their parking lot. We occasionally rent a car because we figured that we could rent a lot of cars for the cost of towing.

That's a beautiful rig. Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Congrats on your newest rig.

Given all that.....what kind of camping do you do, or think you’ll do?
Smaller is better if you want the most availability to go anywhere. (Class B)
Bigger is better if you want lots of room and creature comforts and if you’re staying in one location for longer periods. (5th wheel)
Your Class C at 32’.....is a little large for your only form of getting around, but not impossible.

Only you know the answers to these considerations.
Thanks, those are great points.

We bought the Roadtrek as our first RV, 'graduating' from years of tent camping. It was great: go anywhere, do anything, great gas mileage, easy to drive (although they were underpowered at the time); but some aspects of it proved to be just too small and too inconvenient. DW and I both realized that not being able to walk around a bed is a major drawback; we also had storage issues (wound up pulling a small cargo trailer for chairs, an inflatable kayak, dog crates and stuff - there are two).

We take a cross country trip each summer, then just a few long weekends/spring break (I'm a teacher), but that will soon change as I am retiring at the end of the school year.

The 5er was too much for us, but she had been talked into how wonderful they are by an overzealous friend. Nearly everything about it was a PITA, but I put up with it until a wheel came off after having it serviced after our last trip. Something like that really shakes your confidence.

So the C is a good compromise. I like the 3011 because a). you can walk around the bed b). it has lots of outside storage and c). it is long enough, but not too long and d). grandson is looking forward to sleeping upstairs in his own little 'room.' That floorplan also has the tall ceilings for a more spacious look and best of all, you can get to the fridge and the bathroom even when the slides are in - big advantages.

Here's to many miles of keeping all the wheels on!
Old 04-11-2021, 04:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
There are alternatives to the toad route. It kind of depends on what kind of camping you do

We tend to load up on supplies (takeout included) just prior to pulling into a campground. There are a lot of 'tourist' attractions that have a place for your rig in their parking lot.
True enough.

We're usually stocked up on groceries so that we don't need to make a run and can plan ahead when we do. But having the truck was a comfort factor that I will miss. On two occasions, we needed a trip to an urgent care - we were lucky enough to have a friendly camp host in one case, but in the other case, it was a quick pack up and go. That's two occasions in 12 years with an RV, so it's obviously not an everyday thing. But it's enough to keep me awake for at least 10 minutes at the end of the day.

What I will not miss - pulling a 5er through the diesel pumps at a Pilot.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:59 PM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new FR camper and Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:08 PM   #7

Welcome from Baja Arizona!

2021 Wolf Pup 16FQ